DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Best Tornado footage I have ever seen captured by a DRONE

The Drone captures the Tornado on so many creative levels , it just shows the potential of what a drone can do .
This is the one video that demonstrates that better than any other I have seen.

This is not my footage , but I wish it was.

Gear to Fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm
Phantomrain.org
That’s amazing footage. I’ve never seen a tornado. This is frighteningly beautiful when you think of the damage that such a monster can cause.

Interesting thought experiment, but two major issues I can think of; energy and logistics.

The amount of energy in a supercell is massive, as are they (often tens of miles across and stretching as higher than 50,000ft), so you're probably going to need a comparably large detonation to make any kind of difference. Maybe something on the order of a "MOAB" for a blast effect, or a thermobaric weapon for the disruption to the air flows that would result, although I take it we all agree that literally going nuclear is out of the question, even though it might even be able to get the job done?

Supercells are also chock full of water vapour, so any ignition of powder or aerosol based thermobaric weapons might be problematic as well, not to mention any ground effects of the shockwave of a large airburst weapon of either type. Where you detonate is going to matter a lot as well; is that near the top of the anvil, in the heart of the cell, or at the base where the funnels form? The lower you go, the more chance of the shockwave causing more destruction than the twister might have done - especially if you're not entirely sure who or what might be in range.

The real killer for me though is logistics. Firstly of the supercell; just because you have a supercell doesn't mean it's going to form a twister, let alone at a time you can predict, so when you you fire and, per the above, at what part of the supercell? These devices are probably not going to be cheap so you don't want to be wasting shots on a whim, yet storms can go from funnel to devastation in minutes so you can't hang around either.

Then there's the logistics of the geographical area; you're basically looking at something like a larger scale version of Israel's Iron Dome missile defence system covering, as a minimum, all the major population areas of the Mid-West. IIRC, one MOAB requires a modified C130 to "drop", so hardly practical for an Iron Dome type system. Thermobaric might work, as they are apparently capable of being mounted to a cruise missile, and might even be relatively cheap since they are basically flour bombs, but you'd still need to initiate combustion in a very wet and active environment. And then there's all those international laws banning their use that you'd need to square away...

Yes, tornadoes can - and do - cause a lot of damage and also claim a modest number of lives each year (circa 100 in the US), but in the scheme of things they're barely a blip on the radar. If you want to save lives and protect property, you'd probably do much better putting those funds into things like healthcare, transportation safety, infrastructure maintenance, and so on.

, I think there are much better things that the money could be spent on to protect lives and/or property.
They tried something like that one hurricanes to no avail.

Based on the quality of the video, not sure there was much wind for the drone pilot to have to deal with. I would say he out of reach of the storm but the zoom camera worked nicely.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
The tornado is big enough to be seen from a distance, because for sure you want to be without a doubt using the benefit of the drones utility to keep 6 miles of social distancing away from the tornado. One news helicopter was getting a little too close to the updraft of a 2 mile wide tornado and said I've got to get out of here. The effects of a severe thunderstorm can be felt over 30 miles away when you're up there with it.

That’s amazing footage. I’ve never seen a tornado. This is frighteningly beautiful when you think of the damage that such a monster can cause.
Beautiful and terrifying is very addicting , what i found amazing was the disconnect of the tornado to the sky above in the latter part of the video. It was surreal.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Run away from the Tornado. lol

Living here in Kansas, I’ve seen more than my fair share of tornados, a couple of which nearly killed me, but most folks have a plan of protection as long as they’re close to home. Tornado shelters are numerous and most folks already know where they’re going to shelter in the event one strikes. I’ve lived through hurricanes at sea (Navy), devastating earthquakes like the Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco in ‘89, the devastating wildfires in Colorado Springs and California, flooding here on the Missouri River, survived a war zone during battle, but honestly nothing was more scary than the Tornados, because they spin up and strike so fast, most always when it’s dark and they’re difficult to outrun at the last minute. My last direct encounter was in the BadLands in South Dakota by Murdo. I had my family with me moving from NYC area to Vancouver, WA and it enveloped us on the interstate heading West - the rain was sideways and visibility was measured in feet and it was dark as night even though it was only 7pm on the 4th of July. The radio was blaring the tornado siren and it was just sighted on the ground ahead of me and I couldn’t see 5 feet in front of my truck. The wife was freaking out, the kids were crying, my 2 chihuahuas were whimpering under the middle seats of the Expedition, as I saw a bridge overpass just ahead, I went for it. There was another car already parked there but I pulled directly in front of him and backed up till I nearly touched his bumper. That’s when I could see maybe 200 yards to the west as the tornado was passing from the southwest to the north and the sound was deafening and my truck started to lift but fell back down and it roared to the right and behind me as I saw it pick up a truck on the interstate behind me that had stopped on the open road. I know they say you’re never supposed to hide under bridges but there’s no other place I would have wanted to be at that moment. And I know all about the Bernoulli effect with pressure and velocity as the reasoning but I’d make the same exact choice again if I needed to. This particular tornado had been embedded in a large thunderstorm which made it extremely dangerous but as luck would have it, it did not cause any deaths. Yeah and it also ruined the fireworks display in Murdo which we wanted to see! But I just got the hell out of there and called it a day!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
That's amazing! As a student of the natural sciences faculty must say that it's so hard to do such a video and also so dangerous even with a drone. While preparing an abstract on this theme recently, understood all the hardness of finding really relevant and useful information (honestly, this source helped a lot), but I did it and maybe I even can share it here if someone is interested in it. It includes a part about filming these disasters on drones.

That's amazing! As a student of the natural sciences faculty must say that it's so hard to do such a video and also so dangerous even with a drone. While preparing an abstract on this theme recently, understood all the hardness of finding really relevant and useful information (honestly, this source https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/describing-a-thunderstorm/
helped a lot), but I did it and maybe I even can share it here if someone is interested in it. It includes a part about filming these disasters on drones.
UPD: my friend got a video of a mid-tornado, maybe someone is interested to see it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy