DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Utah drone itinerary?

zack_agl

Reactions
I have 5 days to film the epic landscapes of Utah with my Mavic 3 Pro. Starting in Salt Lake next month (July). Thinking about Great Salt Lake, Bentonite Hills, Factory Butte, Moonscape overlook and Valley of the Gods. Looking for amazing geological textures and cool colors from the air that would look good as abstract images. Any comments on these spots? Other/better spots to hit up?

For Great Salt Lake: I know Antelope Island is no-drone during July. Any ideas where best to fly and get amazing abstract-style imagery around the lake?

I would try to pull in nearby Monument Valley if you can, while you are in the area.

Reactions: zack_agl
I would not waste any time at Antelope Island. You could spend months in the southeast part of the state and not run out of things to capture

Consider Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. The name is apt. The dunes are spectacular from the air, especially when the sun in low. A drone permit is $5.

They allow off-road vehicles on the bare sand, which disturbs the serenity a bit, but they provide good video subjects after dark. Some have very interesting lighting.

DJI_0557.JPG

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
Review Karl Decker's videos......he's recorded some great destinations. Google Chicken Corners Canyonlands.....it's just along the edge of the National Park, and there's spectacular scenery there. You'll need a high clearance vehicle to get into the area. Also try the Potash road out of Moab....again, high clearance.

I would try to pull in nearby Monument Valley if you can, while you are in the area.
The Navajo Nation does not permit drones in its Tribal Parks, that is clear from their website.

Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation

Check it out! There are signs at Monument Valley tribal park that say no drones, but you won't see them much of anywhere else on the reservation.

However, there are a great number of BLM properties that would be great to photograph/video. Muley Point (watch out for updrafts!); Mexican Hat; Valley of the Gods; Moab area (not the national parks); Escalante and Hole in the Rock Road (that's several days right there); Highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante; Cottonwood Canyon; Long Dong Silver (near Moonscape Overlook and Factory Butte). If you're into petroglyphs, Nine Mile Canyon.

There are too many places to list! Just avoid launching/landing/operating in NPS properties, which aren't always obvious, as there are some properties that aren't called "parks" but are administered by the NPS.

Reactions: MS Coast
The Navajo Nation does not permit drones in its Tribal Parks, that is clear from their website.

Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation

Check it out! There are signs at Monument Valley tribal park that say no drones, but you won't see them much of anywhere else on the reservation.

However, there are a great number of BLM properties that would be great to photograph/video. Muley Point (watch out for updrafts!); Mexican Hat; Valley of the Gods; Moab area (not the national parks); Escalante and Hole in the Rock Road (that's several days right there); Highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante; Cottonwood Canyon; Long Dong Silver (near Moonscape Overlook and Factory Butte). If you're into petroglyphs, Nine Mile Canyon.

There are too many places to list! Just avoid launching/landing/operating in NPS properties, which aren't always obvious, as there are some properties that aren't called "parks" but are administered by the NPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpnc