DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best video file settings in Da Vinci Resolve for You Tube or web for M2P footage.

PC1134

Reactions
I fly a Mavic 2 Pro and most of the time shoot RAW stills and process through Ps, so am pretty okay with settings required there. For video, I will often film in either 4K or at least 1080P and edit in Da Vinci Resolve Studio. I am fine to edit DLOGM footage as well, so no real issue doing the edit. Where I am less sure, is how best to render the video so it can be uploaded to You Tube or Facebook, for example. I've seen everyone's great 4K or Full HD videos playing seamlessly and with great detail on these sites, and would like to know which settings to use at the render stage? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I fly a Mavic 2 Pro and most of the time shoot RAW stills and process through Ps, so am pretty okay with settings required there. For video, I will often film in either 4K or at least 1080P and edit in Da Vinci Resolve Studio. I am fine to edit DLOGM footage as well, so no real issue doing the edit. Where I am less sure, is how best to render the video so it can be uploaded to You Tube or Facebook, for example. I've seen everyone's great 4K or Full HD videos playing seamlessly and with great detail on these sites, and would like to know which settings to use at the render stage? Any advice would be much appreciated.
I know that in the version I have 16 Studio, there is a YouTube preset on the Render page. That will get you in the ballpark. Also, remember that YouTube will compress your uploaded videos using their own codecs. However, I believe that if you upload your videos in 4K, they will use the VP9 codec which yields much better results that other formats.

Okay, but if my 4k file is say 1.2GB, this is obviously way too large. How do I crunch the file size down without sacrificing quality?

Okay, but if my 4k file is say 1.2GB, this is obviously way too large. How do I crunch the file size down without sacrificing quality?
Do you have unlimited internet? I agree with Jlatas, upload to YT in 4K for best results on that platform.

I do have unlimited internet, so I'm not too bothered if my file is that large.

If you're concerned about storing at your place, just render a 1080p version for your archives and delete any 4K videos once uploaded...?

Reactions: jlatas
I tend to render out my projects in davinci to the specs I want to store the file at (or show on my computer or a tv). Then i will drop them into handbrak and use its settings for you tube or Vimeo to drop down to lowest possible size. I know its an extra step but if your working without unlimited upload (something i run into with vemeo) then it seems to help.

Just a thought, im sure others have better ideas.

Reactions: jlatas
If you are talking about uploading to YouTube, I believe you can upload files way larger than 1.28GB. It would take a while, but you can. Upload videos at the highest resolution you have available so the quality stays high after YT does their compression.

If you are just talking about sharing with friends and such, you can export 1080P or even use Handbrake and down res for viewing on smaller screens such as Android or Apple phones.

Any time you crunch a file down you will lose quality...so it depends on the viewers device if that loss is acceptable both for you and for them

Thanks guys for all your valuable help on this. A couple of further questions:

1. Does Handbrake do anything else in crunching down video files that Da Vinci Resolve can't do?

2. Is there any need/benefit in paying for one of Handbrake's paid versions, compared to the free download version, if all I want to do is crunch down large video files?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

1. Does Handbrake do anything else in crunching down video files that Da Vinci Resolve can't do?

2. Is there any need/benefit in paying for one of Handbrake's paid versions, compared to the free download version, if all I want to do is crunch down large video files?

Thanks in advance,
Sean
I only use it for a quick and easy way to do batch "crunch downs". I can keep fiddling in davinci even if my computer is taxed as well here. I use the free version.

Thanks in advance,
Sean
You can set the Resolve Render settings to crunch down your videos too...Handbrake (free version is fine) just has presets for various phone and tablet screen resolutions. Either way you can get what you want.

In the end, upload the best quality video resolution you can to YouTube, cuz they are gonna compress it again anyways

Reactions: CentralOtago
Re-encoding a file via Handbrake after export from Da Vinci is suboptimal.

You already have a better quality version on your timeline, so just set the export settings you want on render out. Going Resolve>file>handbrake>file is wasting space and CPU cycles for a worse result, and is just going to create compression artifacts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman