DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way of active track filming backwards?

Greekislandlover

Reactions
Hi, I have been playing with active track this week as the weather is good, and we are allowed out for exercise. There is a good cycle track near me that is very quiet.

Anyway, I want to film from in front of me with the drone flying backwards. I set it to trace mode, park the drone facing me and then start cycling. The problem I have is that it tracks me for a short while, then decides to g round and follow me from behind. This is a good shot I can use, but would like to make the flipping thing stay in front of me. I've done some reading around this, and I have tried going slow, parking the drone further away and trying to maintain a constant speed, and it still does the go around after a very short while.

So is trace the right mode? Would profile do this? How do others manage to get this shot?

How are you getting it to track you ?
I cannot find a way unless I leave the controller and phone with someone else or just lying on a bench and ride away. . The drone will then follow me for a short way and give up .If I put the controller and phone in my back pack it stops following me Straight away

TapFly is limited to follow a predetermined path and avoid obstacles on the way, which of course will require planning of the movements in advance. Maybe waypoints is another option for you?

Following along. Want to do the same with a train going over a really high bridge.

I don't know if this will work, but how about ActiveTrack parallel and move towards the drone? In theory it should back off when you get closer, but to what extent and how far? Can't try it because of the lockdown.

Carefully read about the various Intelligent Flight Modes in the DJI Go 4 Manual (if you haven't already). It may be necessary -and better- to film another person.

Perhaps you can use Waypoints mode since you are circling a track. The trick would be speed control.

Also be careful with backwards flight. I crashed into a tree once as I was paying too much attention to the cool image on the screen, and was not directly watching the unit in flight. Pretty sure I hit a tree that was too thin for the sensors to register. Trees without leaves, wires, and other low profile objects may not be seen in time. Its a lot to manage while capturing video etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7