DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way to send pictures?

Pyrate

Premium Pilot
Reactions
What is the best way to send pictures to a person? JPEG/ PDF/ RAW? Took picture of some ice races and I need to send to a person?

Depends largely on how the receiver intends to use the picture ... if it's a customer that have hired you I advice you to discuss with them what kind of format & size they expect.

If it's only to a friend to show off ... it can be what ever, imagine that raw isn't a good choice then, as that require them to process the pic through a raw converter.

Mb matter also ... mail have it's attachment size limitations, if the file is too large, a cloud storage with a link for them to download by them self's can work.

If there are a lot I would consider sending them a on a memory card. If sent via email etc. it would take me AGES to upload a lot. Total message size limitation excepted.
Does the person have a relevant raw decoder? ( I am not sure if DJI's raw photos need one.)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the best way to send pictures to a person? JPEG/ PDF/ RAW? Took picture of some ice races and I need to send to a person?
JPG is the most common and allows the viewer the best chance to see the Picture.
PDF they will need to have installed a PDF viewer which many Computer have but not older ones
RAW only needs to be sent if you need some one to Edit your color Grade on the Picture as an example.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / Snow

I guess the short, no tech answer, given the vague info you provided is if the person and you have basic computer skills is JPEG and Drop Box/Cloud Storage as mentioned. If you and the other person is lacking on skill set. Then a cheap 2 or 4 Gig SDCard and snail mail. :)

i just pass ed FAA 107 exam, so in the future i will be needing to do this in a bigger fashion. Right now this was for a friend, But with 20 pictures on a stix now is a good time of setting up a format to give to new customers.;-)

For image delivery we use either www.Hightail.com or www.Pixieset.com

Hightail is fast and easy if there is no invoicing/watermark needed.

Pixieset is a great way to let them preview them (automatic watermark applied) and once they pay the invoice they can automatically download HiRes and MLS Res images (2 different options).

AS the others said, JPG. What quality and size depends on the person's use, but if no printing is going to happen, it's probably best to downsize them for quicker viewing.

If their viewing means is unknown or a common user scenario, it's probably best to be sure the color space is sRGB (nothing fancier).

A web site is best / easiest -- just send them a link.

i just pass ed FAA 107 exam, so in the future i will be needing to do this in a bigger fashion. Right now this was for a friend, But with 20 pictures on a stix now is a good time of setting up a format to give to new customers.;-)
If you are wanting to know about delivering commercial work to clients, one way that works for me is to have an account at Smugmug.com.
You can have hundreds of galleries there, I have a couple for portfolios to show off.
And I open a private gallery for each project.
I can send the client a link so they can see their photos and once they've paid, I can send them a download link for their gallery.

Reactions: Coskier
I use Dropbox. Create folders for the photos you want to share then email a link to the folder to the person you want to share with. I think it works great.

This app helps you to save a lot of disk space by compressing photos on your iOS device. Free download:

‎Photo Compress - Shrink Pics

You can also buy an unlimited version; not expensive. It will reduce file sizes for emailing without losing a lot of image detail (and save the original, if you choose to). They also do one for videos. I have both of them on my iphone 11 Pro. They are excellent; fast and easy to use and the video version will also work on any short DJI Fly transition edited clips that you may have saved, too, for emailing to friends.

This is the video version link:

This app helps you to save a lot of disk space by compressing videos on your iOS device. Free download: ‎Video Compress - Shrink Vids

Last edited:
This app helps you to save a lot of disk space by compressing photos on your iOS device. Free download:

‎Photo Compress - Shrink Pics

You can also buy an unlimited version; not expensive. It will reduce file sizes for emailing without losing a lot of image detail (and save the original, if you choose to). They also do one for videos. I have both of them on my iphone 11 Pro. They are excellent; fast and easy to use and the video version will also work on any short DJI Fly transition edited clips that you may have saved, too, for emailing to friends.

This is the video version link:

This app helps you to save a lot of disk space by compressing videos on your iOS device. Free download: ‎Video Compress - Shrink Vids
Have you checked the actual resolution before and after? I find it hard to believe that the files can be further compressed with no loss of resolution. JPG files are already a form of compression. Just curious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo