DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Better Mini 3 Pro gimbal guard (by GardToK/SunnyLife)

Without the little foam bit? That's something I'd lose on day 2.
I don't know that it's totally secure with the OEM gimbal guard. However, the plastic fins that wrap around the camera are very close to it, so it likely wouldn't move too far if you were traveling over very rough terrain with your drone.

Seems to me that immobilizing the gimbal would be job one for transporting the aircraft
Perhaps. But, I think it's a non issue with this particular drone since the gimbal/camera doesn't move much (any?) when the gimbal guard is not attached. If the gimbal easily flopped around without a gimbal guard attached, then it might make more sense to try to find something that could securely hold it in place.

Reactions: Lister and Torque
Did anyone give this gimbal guard a try? If so, what do you think about it?

I tried the "frog" looking one that also has protectors for the front vision sensors and I returned it, it was total garbage. Nearly impossible to get off (way too tight around the vision sensors) to the point where I was worried about causing damage. The reason the design is so bad is because when you are pulling upwards on the release from the bottom of the gimbal area, the vison sensor covers have nowhere to go as they completely surround the forward sensors, and it binds. The plastic was not the same quality as the OEM cover either. I returned it and immediately reverted back to the OEM gimbal guard and just using the foam that came with the drone behind the gimbal for transport stability. The OEM gimbal guard is probably the easiest to put on / take off of any DJI drone I've owned so I will just continue using that along with the packing foam.

Reactions: old man mavic
Reactions: CanadaDrone
Are you referring to the SunnyLife gimbal guard from my original post or the gimbal guard @Torque posted? They are both kind of froggy looking :)
Sunnylife, however it also looks like on Amazon the identical product is being sold by a variety of different sellers under different brand names. Some different brands even use photos that show "sunnylife" embossed on the actual product :D

Same deal with one of the cases I bought. It had some random brand name typical of amazon resellers, and the product I received was Sunnylife.

Reactions: Torque
Sunnylife, however it also looks like on Amazon the identical product is being sold by a variety of different sellers under different brand names
Yeah, some sellers commonly resell SunnyLife accessories. Mine does not have the "SunnyLife" name anywhere on it.

The reason the design is so bad is because when you are pulling upwards on the release from the bottom of the gimbal area, the vison sensor covers have nowhere to go as they completely surround the forward sensors, and it binds.
I pull the gimbal guard down from the bottom (near the sensors) to release it and then pull it forward away from the drone (eliminating the possibility for any binding). It's super easy to remove. I'm wondering if you possibly received a faulty product.

Yeah, some sellers commonly resell SunnyLife accessories. Mine does not have the "SunnyLife" name anywhere on it.

I pull the gimbal guard down from the bottom (near the sensors) to release it and then pull it forward away from the drone (eliminating the possibility for any binding). It's super easy to remove. I'm wondering if you possibly received a faulty product.

Certainly possible, these $15 pieces of plastic are likely produced in bulk for less than $0.01 and I doubt QC is their top priority :)

Reactions: msinger
Certainly possible, these $15 pieces of plastic are likely produced in bulk for less than $0.01 and I doubt QC is their top priority :)
Well mine was less than $4 on Amazon! I find it easier than the original to put on and take off. And the fact that it makes my drone look more like frog like was an actual selling point. LOL

An interesting find -- the DJI Avata has a gimbal guard that does not lock the gimbal in place. And like the Mini 3 Pro, the gimbal also doesn't move around on its own while the drone is powered down.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes