DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware purchasing the Mavic directly from DJI

Joey MTB

Reactions
Almost certain DJI sold me a refurbished unit as "new"
Passing on this information because it may help others
Purchased on 13/03/17 -> Raised a claim -> Full refund is currently in progress (minus shipping expense 70AUD) -> Bought a new Mavic from a local retailer (Ted Camera)

So here are the facts:
1. Unit arrived with "sticker smudge residue" on the head of the aircraft indicating that the unit is not brand new
2. Left leg of the aircraft arrived loose indicating that the unit was repaired (and is a defect)
3. The unit did not arrive with that "new product smell"

Other issues with the unit:
1. VPS sensor was malfunctioning during flight, forcing the aircraft to increase altitude and interfere with some intelligent flight modes (e.g. tap to fly)
2. Location of aircraft was displayed incorrectly on the radar map (e.g. radar shows aircraft behind the controller when it should be in front)
3. Camera unable to focus during flight, solved by downgrading firmware and performing full calibrations (gimbal, vps, controller, accel, compass etc.)
4. Battery charge count incorrectly counts the number of charge cycles a battery has been charged. (Each flight has been logged with it's respectively battery and manual count is taken. Results do not match up with the count displayed on the DJI GO 4 app)

So what are the chances that the Mavic I received was part of the initial release hype where tonnes of units were sent back to DJI for repair, fixed and then sold in March refurbished as "brand new"... I believe that's what happened

Now that Amazon has stock I can see no reason why someone would go directly to DJI.

Rob

Ditto. You can actually return something to Amazon within 30 days, and sometimes up to 45 days and get your money back if you're having problems with it. I can't wait till the Mavic makes it to Walmart. They have a really great return policy.

Reactions: dewster
Bought mine at the Apple Store...actually had a problem with the gimbal right out of the box. Long story short, I took it in and was out of there with a new when in less then five minutes

You can't beat that for service. You saved around 5-6 weeks in repair time.

How long had you owned it before you returned it?

Reactions: mkdive

You can't beat that for service. You saved around 5-6 weeks in repair time.

How long had you owned it before you returned it?

Only had it for a day. The gimbal/camera was all jacked up. Was getting the gimbal overload message etc. I never even flew it. So yeah, I would've been pretty bummed if I had to send it in and wait 5-6 weeks

They also said I had a 14 day return period, and any other problems just bring it back in

Only had it for a day. The gimbal/camera was all jacked up. Was getting the gimbal overload message etc. I never even flew it. So yeah, I would've been pretty bummed if I had to send it in and wait 5-6 weeks

Some people object to having to pay sales tax if purchased at a big box store, but sometimes the great customer service is worth it.

Back before Amazon had them in stock I ordered one from DJI. heard the horror stories, cancelled, then changed my mind an they reinstated my order and it shipped the next day, My Mavic has been working fine.

Back before Amazon had them in stock I ordered one from DJI. heard the horror stories, cancelled, then changed my mind an they reinstated my order and it shipped the next day, My Mavic has been working fine.

What dates did you originally order from DJI, cancel, and then reinstate your order?

You must have been born under a lucky star.
I bugged them. First few times they told me they might be able to, the next time they said no and then I got a mixed answer again then the next thing I know I see they took the money out of my account for the Mavic, and I contacted them, I said if you are cancelling my order why are you taking the money out of my account, they told me they had to take it out to put it back in, I was like whaaat??? Then the next thing I know I got an email saying it shipped, I kinda figured it would be shipped soon since they took the money out, I don't recall ever doing business with a company that had to take the money out to give it back..

I don't recall ever doing business with a company that had to take the money out to give it back..

Welcome to the world of DJI. :)

After all these years in business, I just don't think they will ever get their act together in terms of administration and organization. Left hand never knows that the right hand is doing. Just keep releasing new products.

Reactions: Kestrel
Now that Amazon has stock I can see no reason why someone would go directly to DJI.

Rob

Exactly is what im saying
You can get a MP on the bay for $1k now
With DJI, that much will buy your the Aircraft but no controller/charger ;)

Exactly is what im saying
You can get a MP on the bay for $1k now
With DJI, that much will buy your the Aircraft but no controller/charger ;)
Huh? $1k gets you the drone and an RC with an estimated shipping time of 1 business day. You can get the drone only for $749 on DJI with an estimated ship date of 1 business day.

Huh? $1k gets you the drone and an RC with an estimated shipping time of 1 business day. You can get the drone only for $749 on DJI with an estimated ship date of 1 business day.

I was basing it on this link from another thread. Couldnt find one in USD

Buy Mavic Pro - Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger)

I think my point was it's monetarily pointless to order a replacement 'drone only' from DJI.

And questionable to order from them at all as eBay sellers trump them in price and Stock sometimes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb