DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware the Quease!

Chaosrider

Reactions
I preparation for my first dip in to the Manual Mode pool, if been pushing my FPV increasingly harder in Sport Mode, and a question has come up for me. There's a rock formation that I've named Guardian Rock, which is about 600 ft ATL up the opposite wall of the canyon, with the canyon ridge at about 1100 ft ATL. For the last several flight days I've been doing "strafing runs" on Guardian Rock, getting gradually lower and closer. What I'll do is zip by on a close pass of GR at Warp 6, and then do a hard pull up, a turn at the top, and then a dive back down. At least, that's what I try to do.

It seems to "stall out" at the top, and won't transition immediately from the climb, to the descent. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I'm modifying the flight profile so this happens less, but I'm just making it up as I go along.

I also regularly get the "Gimbal at maximum angle", or whatever the actual message is. I assume that's just a system limitation that I need to live with?

I've got a good sense now for the limits of my "control bubble" in this highly variable and challenging terrain. I haven't caused a "loss of signal" RTH for at least 3 flights now!

I also invented something! But don't try this at home...

I found out how to induce vertigo while flopping around the sky! In my flights up to now, I've tended to look mostly down, with the goggles on my head. For some reason I decided that I want to look straight forward instead, rather than down, while flying. That seems to work fine, when I remember to do it, but what does NOT work fine is to move my head while I'm doing something squirrely in the air.

Quease-O-Rama!

Easy enough to fix...just stop moving...but it definitely caught me by surprise. During my Instrument Rating training, my instructor had to work really hard to induce vertigo in me while I was wearing the foggles. He did it, but he had to invent some maneuvers more radical than he had learned in his instructor training. No harm, no foul, we both enjoyed it.

But FPVers beware! Don't move your head sharply, while also throwing the aircraft around sharply!

:)

Are you coordinating the turn with roll?

The power of the FPV is such that in S mode I've found definitely needs more attention to coordinating sharp turns to keep them from sliding rather than turning initially.

Are you coordinating the turn with roll?

The power of the FPV is such that in S mode I've found definitely needs more attention to coordinating sharp turns to keep them from sliding rather than turning initially.
I'm starting to do that, now that I'm aware of it. There's a similar requirement for regular airplanes, so it actually seems sort of natural.

Depending on the wind and the temp, I may or may not get another Sport mode flight in today, but tomorrow I start my Manual mode training, which will probably suck up most of my FPV time for a while.

Thx!

They're quads, but the physics is identical, so turns need to be coordinated or you slip sideways while changing direction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803