DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beyond Aggravated - Gimbal Motor Overload

JMar1017

Reactions
Long story short...

First and Foremost

It's 4th of July - Happy 4th of July to all who celebrate it.

Thank you to those who have served, thank you to those who are still serving and thank you to those who have paid the ultimate price so that we may have the freedoms we have today in the USA.

Naturally celebrating this holiday came with a BBQ - it was my turn to host this year and as I was running out to grab more ice (really need to invest in an ice machine) my cousin thought it would be a good idea to take mavic up after I had expressed to him several times throughout the afternoon that once nightfall came the quadcopter was shut down. There will be no night flights for fireworks as he was hoping for.

He didn't listen and decided to take it up without my permission. He had thought that 2 afternoon flights made him a pro night time flyer.

It was way too dark and he was over confident, Well - he crashed it, into the side of the house.

Now I get home with the ice and find this all out - I'm beyond frustrated - I didn't think I needed to put the drone out of reach of a 26 year old but apparently I was wrong. I should of put it on top of the fridge like I do the candy to hide it from the kids.

Now I have this electrical burnt smell near the gimbal and when I powered on it says gimbal motor overload or something along those lines.

I don't have DJI Care Refresh

Any suggestions - outside of making him replace it/pay to fix it.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
My first suggestion would put you in jail and end his problems for ever. Not a good suggestion I guess.

Does he have a liability insurance? If so, they might cover the damage.

Reactions: 45er
Since he is an (irresponsible) adult, he can step up and simply buy you a new drone.
He flew it
He broke it
He buys a new one!

Since he is an (irresponsible) adult, he can step up and simply buy you a new drone.
He flew it
He broke it
He buys a new one!
I 100% agree

but this is a kid in an adult's body who doesnt have 2 dollars to his name.

His parents/my aunt and uncle spoiled him growing up so he never knew what it was like to work for something.

He has no concept of appreciation/respect for other people's things.

He claims that although he took something without my permission it was an accident so he should be forgiven.

After a half hearted apology I got - "that's why they put erasers on pencils".

So as much as I agree with him replacing it - if I was to wait for that to happen I would be getting a Mavic Pro 10 DSLR lol

Reactions: rsteffen43
Any suggestions - outside of making him replace it/pay to fix it.
Looking for someone to fix it for you? You can find some repair shops here.

Reactions: JMar1017
I 100% agree

His parents/my aunt and uncle spoiled him growing up so he never knew what it was like to work for something.

He claims that although he took something without my permission it was an accident so he should be forgiven.

So as much as I agree with him replacing it - if I was to wait for that to happen I would be getting a Mavic Pro 10 DSLR lol
Bet he has a new iPhone though! - Take that as payment against the damages. :D

I could say so much, but will refrain.....

I feel for you having this idiot destroy your aircraft.
Hope you get back in the air soon.

Bet he has a new iPhone though! - Take that as payment against the damages. :D

I could say so much, but will refrain.....

I feel for you having this idiot destroy your aircraft.
Hope you get back in the air soon.

Yes - you hit the nail on the head with that one!

Newest Phone $$
Nice Car $$
Nice watches $$

I ask him to replace what he BROKE and magically he is BROKE.

The frustrating part is - I've only had it 3 months - registered it day 1 and then got my flight tags that took 5 weeks to get. I could of made them myself but I wanted them to be clean and professional looking. I only had maybe a dozen flights on it myself - now my wings were clipped :(

I appreciate everyone responding here.

Happy and safe flying to you all - hope to be back up there soon.

Reactions: knewton
I 100% agree

Well said!

So - is this something that can be repaired on my own - OR - is this more of a service center thing?

Reactions: DDS
This is what small claims courts are for, he will start learning then!

I agree - but - to get nothing from nothing still leaves me with nothing

plus family drama - which I know this is just my family and nobody else has to deal with it - but we don't need any more of that stuff.

So - is this something that can be repaired on my own - OR - is this more of a service center thing?
Well. Very sorry to hear about the incident, however it could have been worst. No one was hurt in the illegal flight. I would recommend we take a look at it for free diagnostic of the exact part to be replaced. Doesn’t sound to bad if it’s just the Gimbal. We hope to get you back in the air soon.

Well. Very sorry to hear about the incident, however it could have been worst. No one was hurt in the illegal flight. I would recommend we take a look at it for free diagnostic of the exact part to be replaced. Doesn’t sound to bad if it’s just the Gimbal. We hope to get you back in the air soon.

Just got off the phone with Peter - Created a service ticket and will be shipping out today. Fingers crossed it's not too much of a hit on the pocket.

looking forward to working with you .

Sorry for the loss hopefully back in the air soon but back on topic for pay it's ether I whoop your [Language Removed by Moderator] or you give me your ???? But that's just me I guess lol

Last edited by a moderator:
GIMBAL Overload is a common Problem after a Crash.

Quite simply... the RIBBON CABLE between the 'Motherboard' and the Gimbal is Most Likely severed.
You may be able to see the tear or NOT -
The GIMBAL itself is pretty resilient - but the Ribbon cable is Not (the weak link)
Either way do some Resarch on the forum on Ribbon Cable-

This is not a self fix-

It requires the Part which is not too expensive and Looks like three L Shapes joined together -
… but requires a PRO to install it positioning gluing etc - … (Takes about 20 minutes) -

So you should be in for the cost of the Part and about 1-2hrs labour Max - and shipping

Fixing the Gimbal ribbon Cable - Video

This is what you're after - most likely...

Reactions: JMar1017 and DDS
GIMBAL Overload is a common Problem after a Crash.

Quite simply... the RIBBON CABLE between the 'Motherboard' and the Gimbal is Most Likely severed.
You may be able to see the tear or NOT -
The GIMBAL itself is pretty resilient - but the Ribbon cable is Not (the weak link)
Either way do some Resarch on the forum on Ribbon Cable-

This is not a self fix-

It requires the Part which is not too expensive and Looks like three L Shapes joined together -
… but requires a PRO to install it positioning gluing etc - … (Takes about 20 minutes) -

So you should be in for the cost of the Part and about 1-2hrs labour Max - and shipping

This is what you're after - most likely...
View attachment 76996
It's very possible it's the ribbon, this is what I kept reading about as I scoured the forums and YouTube videos last night. I was too annoyed to go to sleep.

I kept finding things that said that the error typically ends up being the ribbon and that it's not so much the camera or gimbal because it's much stronger than people tend to think.

Gave me some hope

I know the camera/gimbal move during start up...it's erratic movement but movement nonetheless. After that initial start it doesn't respond to panning at all.

It will zoom and rotate from landscape to portrait. I can also adjust the exposure level.

The videos for ribbon replacement don't look that scary lol but it's not something I want to try.

I'm going to inspect before I send out if I can see a tear in the ribbon just so i have some peace of mind rather than "flying blind" on the issue.

Haha had to put some pun in there.

It's very possible it's the ribbon, this is what I kept reading about as I scoured the forums and YouTube videos last night. I was too annoyed to go to sleep.

I kept finding things that said that the error typically ends up being the ribbon and that it's not so much the camera or gimbal because it's much stronger than people tend to think.

Gave me some hope

I know the camera/gimbal move during start up...it's erratic movement but movement nonetheless. After that initial start it doesn't respond to panning at all.

It will zoom and rotate from landscape to portrait. I can also adjust the exposure level.

The videos for ribbon replacement don't look that scary lol but it's not something I want to try.

I'm going to inspect before I send out if I can see a tear in the ribbon just so i have some peace of mind rather than "flying blind" on the issue.

Haha had to put some pun in there.
See this Link - I inserted above... (to see whats involved in a DIY)

Again Click >

Hope all goes well - (The wait hurts tho)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky