DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird attacks! Do you get a lot of bird encounters too?

Hi, I'm presently on the shores of Loch Long, Scotland, for a short break - as you do!
My problem was from a Heron that tried to descend on my drone, twice.

The AC on both occasions was relatively close and I could chase it off - Phew!

Still not sure what would have happened if I was over the loch and some distance away?

Reactions: volition
Just to give this thread a bump .... I was flying at Clarrie Hall Dam yesterday (near Uki/Murwillumbah). I had my max altitude set to 80m, and reluctant to go higher (or lower, I was largely standing below the water level of the dam) ..... and I saw the largest, soaring bird in the sky I think I've ever seen.

It must have been another 100m up in the sky and was massive. I was stuck between returning the drone (it was only a short distance away), or putting down the controller and grabbing my camera (which already had the telephoto + extender attached).

I did neither. I didn't want to take my eyes off it, just in case.

Know your surrounds everyone, and keep your eyes peeled!

I have an incident to add as well. I had never had any bird problems until last Thursday. I was flying a re-curing Litchi Mission for a friend of mine in Napa. I have been shooting still pictures every time I'm in the vicinity of his new house that is under construction. The Mission circles his house at 150 feet AGL and takes 12 photos. In the end, he will have a sort of time lapse of the building of the house. As I was running the mission I noticed a large Turkey Vulture circling over head of the drone. I was hoping he would loose interest. As the mission continued, the bird got lower. I was happy when the mission ended. The mission end was to go to the Home point and land. I lost sight of the bird but just as my Mavic 2 touched down, this monster of a bird came from a different direction and passed over me and my drone at an altitude of approximately 20 feet. Needless to say, too close for comfort! I kind of felt that I was being stalked as well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22