DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird / Pidgeon Deterrent

Is there any evidence to suggest that these measures actually work? Any ornithologist out there?

Is there any evidence to suggest that these measures actually work? Any ornithologist out there?
I'm not aware of any clinical studies that statistically prove the efficacy of these stickers. My perspective on the stickers is that if they do serve to keep birds from attacking my drone, that's a good thing and I'll go with it. I guess I'm looking at this more from a risk management perspective than I am from a scientific ornithological perspective. I don't mind gambling ~$8 in an attempt to protect a ~$2K investment.

Reactions: Faster

The holographic tape has been used for decades in horticulture, proven to scare off birds.
If you're in a region with fruit trees, vegetable gardens etc, many will hang strips of this stuff regularly through a crop, the reflections scare off the birds.

https://citypests.com/reflective-tape-scare-birds/

It reflects randonly, and flutters about in the wind . . . obviously it is just the sunlight reflections that work on a drone.

Reactions: Faster
Would putting a removable hi-viz green or orange vinyl skin on your drone keep birds from attacking the drone?
No, a bright colored skin may actually attract more birds in my experience. I have a dozen or so drones, most are skinned and the brighter the color, the more curiousity it seems to elicit from birds.

I'm quite sure DecalGirl doesn't carry any holographic skins. I think (I could be wrong) the holographic vinyl is thicker and stiffer, making it very hard to "wrap" around curves.
Wrapgrade has some great wraps as well. Some of their metallic skins might act as a deterrent, not sure. They are a Japanese company, so shipping is more than the skin, but they are starting to sell their skins through Amazon, free shipping for Prime members.

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Does anyone know of any gadgets that can deter birds from trying to dive bomb my drone when i am looking at roofs?! I have had a couple of near misses, but if something could just scare them away for a few minutes this would be handy. I live by the seaside and it seems as soon as the drone goes up it seems they are literally going for it! Many thanks in advance.

The use of prop guards will give the drone a larger appearance that may deter the birds.

If anything, it may prevent a prop strike that could end badly for the drone or bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661