DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird / Pidgeon Deterrent

mattgod69

Reactions
Does anyone know of any gadgets that can deter birds from trying to dive bomb my drone when i am looking at roofs?! I have had a couple of near misses, but if something could just scare them away for a few minutes this would be handy. I live by the seaside and it seems as soon as the drone goes up it seems they are literally going for it! Many thanks in advance.

Generally speaking, this time of year, depending on location, is the breeding season for many species. I don't believe there are any gadgets that will repel a bird that is defending it's territory or nest. If there is such a device, it most probably is designed to lighten your wallet........

Does anyone know of any gadgets that can deter birds from trying to dive bomb my drone when i am looking at roofs?! I have had a couple of near misses, but if something could just scare them away for a few minutes this would be handy. I live by the seaside and it seems as soon as the drone goes up it seems they are literally going for it! Many thanks in advance.
Browning 12 gauge with #8 shot. 🤪

Suggest one of the toy water jets, just walk round the property & give the pigeons a couple of squirts. They’re smart birds, they’ll take the hint and fly away.

There is a blueberry farm near me that has a problem with birds. They use those little bottle rockets and just shoot them off once in awhile and that keeps the birds away. You just have to check local regs I guess to make sure that that's okay

Strobe light or something looking like eyes are propably the best shots.
Though Ural owl might actually target those eyes if it has nest nearby...

They've been firing devices like this to get the geese off the local golf course this spring.

Sounds like a blast!
Guess your local geese are wussies.
Here in Finland geese stop caring about those in hours.
(at least without complementary dosages of lead)

Would putting a removable hi-viz green or orange vinyl skin on your drone keep birds from attacking the drone?

Would putting a removable hi-viz green or orange vinyl skin on your drone keep birds from attacking the drone?
Unlikely. If they perceive a potential threat to their nest or territory, it won't matter how that threat is dressed. I believe it's best to be mindful of these potential encounters during certain times of the year and adjust your flights accordingly.

Unlikely. If they perceive a potential threat to their nest or territory, it won't matter how that threat is dressed. I believe it's best to be mindful of these potential encounters during certain times of the year and adjust your flights accordingly.
I don't know how much of a potential threat they are, but my only possible bird problem will be urban pigeons.
I don't think they get territorial or defensive the way hawks/falcons/eagles do.

I don't know how much of a potential threat they are, but my only possible bird problem will be urban pigeons.
I don't think they get territorial or defensive the way hawks/falcons/eagles do.
City pigeons might not be as aggressive as their rural brethren. Although not extremely common in every city, but some cities do have peregrine falcons. If anything, a strobe might help deter or disorient a potential attack.

I've read numerous posts in the past where people put the holographic silver wraps on their drones, that same sort of stuff orchards hang around their trees (strips in string) to flap around and deter birds.

I'll try a couple of drone wrap sites to see if I can find an example . . .

No nothing easily found, maybe you can cut a shape to fit on top of your drone / battery from contact material like this . . .

confettisilver.jpg

Styletech Holographic – Confetti Silver | Skat Katz - Heat Transfer Vinyl & Self Adhesive Vinyl Experts

or this . . .

s-l500.jpg

9ft x 18" Holographic foil decorative contact paper wallpaper self adhesive | eBay

And some strips for around the arms.

There used to be drone wrap sites that used this, now hard to find.
One thought, some of this paper might have metallic properties that could affect a compass ?

What Is Holographic Paper?

"Holographic paper is a sheet of paper that has been embossed with a pattern or image and then coated in a very thin layer of metal. "

Decalgirl.com has a nice collection of vinyl skins for some models. Not cheap, but they look good.

I had a scan of her site, and search for holographic, silver, etc.
Nothing came up for that.

Mind you, a nice bright skin might achieve the same result, especially if it has eyes on it.

Most DJI drones in grey look kind of like a regular bird colour, and can easily be seen as a predator to most birds, or intruders to raptors in their territory.

Most drone wrap sites have the well recognisable Kittyhawk type 'eyes' version somewhere.
Not sure that would be all that visible or reconisable easily to a bird as a 'someone watching them' type of deterrent.

il_794xN.1165124597_k3l5.jpg

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661