DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Towers can be your best friend in the sky !

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Its no secret we fly in the Most Brutal Extreme Weather to Caputue the Storm an Promote the Wet Suts.
In doing so we have learned a few things others might not be aware of !

1> if your flight is going to be a Risk Flight for whatever reason prepare a Remote Landing Spot somewhere near the area your flying to.
There are several ways to do this , but one that has really stood out for me more than any other is the Flashing stand alone towers.

2> Think of the Towers as a LIghthouse to serve as an Aid for your drone for an Emergency Landing Pad.

If you watched my Favorite Movie FALL CleanShot 2023-11-03 at 11.51.46@2x.jpg highly recommended you will see what is below most every tower is a 20 ft concrete landing pad built far away from the Human Elements .

Many Towers with a flashing light have a Potenial Emergency landing pad at the bottom of it . My advice is to check out your Towers around you an see what they have to offer as a potential landing pad. Towers are easy to spot in an Emegency so they can really work out well.

Im not saying to Abuse every Lighthouse/Tower in the sky , but if your battery is low, if your struck by a bird, if you are lost , if there is fog or if your flying somewhere you have never flown before than its smart to find an Emergency Remote Landing Area.

That flashing light in the sky on the Tower can safe gaurd you from ending in a bad situation.

Warning not all Towers are the Same: you need to spot the Towers that are stand ALONE ! When your up in the Air look for the FLASHING LIGHTS as a beacon to a tower.

If you do land finding a drone near a flashing tower is better than landing on the roof of a house or in the middle of traffic.

Just for Reference this video shows some of the towers in my immediate area.

It would be interesting to see some of the Remote Landing Towers in your area ?

Dont turn this thread into Why fly at all if there is a Risk,
The very FACT that we know that BIRDS can take down and Crash your drone means that every time you fly there is a RISK . Negotiating Risk is part of being a good Pilot .

Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water / Snow
Phantomrain.org
CleanShot 2023-10-30 at 20.50.52@2x.jpg AIR 3 - 1.jpgCleanShot 2023-11-03 at 10.52.01@2x.jpg2021-11-20_09h30_43.png2022-02-01_14h49_09.pngMAS2.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind, if one chooses a tower for a marker and a potential landing spot, they are supported by numerous guy wires that are connected at various points on the tower and anchored firmly in the Earth away from the tower.

We all know how difficult it may be to see a wire on the display screen let alone VLOS confirmation of a wire at a distance.

Keep the camera pointing down on the final descent to ensure a clear and safe landing.

its feels good to be by a tower when there is this much action. lol

View attachment 169836
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Unless it's the tower with the lightning rods to deter lighting strikes on critical infrastructure. :D

Thinking about a rocket launch pad, but we can't fly around those towers anyway.

Fly safe. :cool:

These Towers that I am suggesting for what ever reason do not have any Guide Wires that I have seen. This is why I have found them to be such a good Remote landing area.

CleanShot 2023-11-03 at 15.42.52@2x.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water. and Find Great Landing towers.

Reactions: Torque and MA2 317
But don't land on top of the tower. You may have a heart attack climbing up to retrieve you drone!

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Most cell towers are self-supporting towers or mono-poles that don't have any guy wires since cell systems tend to stay fairly low in height. Some are on large commercial radio towers which will be guyed at multiple points up the tower. If the tower only has a light on top, chances are it's free standing, and if it has several lights up the tower it's probably a guyed tower. Even though the guys are in rows up tower, they can be hard to spot even during the day, and impossible at night.

Most cell towers are self-supporting towers or mono-poles.

My favorite cell tower.

With plenty of landing space next to it.

1699107188947.png

Its no secret we fly in the Most Brutal Extreme Weather to Caputue the Storm an Promote the Wet Suts.
In doing so we have learned a few things others might not be aware of !

1> if your flight is going to be a Risk Flight for whatever reason prepare a Remote Landing Spot somewhere near the area your flying to.
There are several ways to do this , but one that has really stood out for me more than any other is the Flashing stand alone towers.

2> Think of the Towers as a LIghthouse to serve as an Aid for your drone for an Emergency Landing Pad.

If you watched my Favorite Movie FALL View attachment 169831 highly recommended you will see what is below most every tower is a 20 ft concrete landing pad built far away from the Human Elements .

Many Towers with a flashing light have a Potenial Emergency landing pad at the bottom of it . My advice is to check out your Towers around you an see what they have to offer as a potential landing pad. Towers are easy to spot in an Emegency so they can really work out well.

Im not saying to Abuse every Lighthouse/Tower in the sky , but if your battery is low, if your struck by a bird, if you are lost , if there is fog or if your flying somewhere you have never flown before than its smart to find an Emergency Remote Landing Area.

That flashing light in the sky on the Tower can safe gaurd you from ending in a bad situation.

Warning not all Towers are the Same: you need to spot the Towers that are stand ALONE ! When your up in the Air look for the FLASHING LIGHTS as a beacon to a tower.

If you do land finding a drone near a flashing tower is better than landing on the roof of a house or in the middle of traffic.

Just for Reference this video shows some of the towers in my immediate area.

It would be interesting to see some of the Remote Landing Towers in your area ?

Dont turn this thread into Why fly at all if there is a Risk,
The very FACT that we know that BIRDS can take down and Crash your drone means that every time you fly there is a RISK . Negotiating Risk is part of being a good Pilot .

Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water / Snow
Phantomrain.org
View attachment 169821View attachment 169822View attachment 169823View attachment 169824View attachment 169825View attachment 169826
Maybe i'm missing something.
If a bird strikes my drone causing it to crash, what good does it do having a tower nearby. If I could fly to the tower (for any reason) why not just fly it to me where I took off from.

One note of caution: while comm towers present readily identifiable and visible nav aids and landmarks, and will have open area around their base, they are also potential sources of high power RF that can momentarily disrupt or blind consumer grade UAV's. VERY HIGH power transmissions eveon on RF spectrums other than where our equipment operates can result in disruption of UAV to controller communication.

ANY equipment operating near a high power RF source is likely to experience degraded rx/tx due to the other signals creating so much "noise" that data transfer may be affected. Cell towers not so much but if there are antennas for land mobile radio systems that transmit intermittently don't be surprised.

Maybe i'm missing something.
If a bird strikes my drone causing it to crash, what good does it do having a tower nearby. If I could fly to the tower (for any reason) why not just fly it to me where I took off from.
You first have to have some understanding as to why you ever need a Remote landing spot, but if you think you will always make it back , your a better pilot than myself.

This was my first Remote Landing :

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. >Land on the Water.

One note of caution: while comm towers present readily identifiable and visible nav aids and landmarks, and will have open area around their base, they are also potential sources of high power RF that can momentarily disrupt or blind consumer grade UAV's. VERY HIGH power transmissions eveon on RF spectrums other than where our equipment operates can result in disruption of UAV to controller communication.

ANY equipment operating near a high power RF source is likely to experience degraded rx/tx due to the other signals creating so much "noise" that data transfer may be affected. Cell towers not so much but if there are antennas for land mobile radio systems that transmit intermittently don't be surprised.

And that open area around the base of the tower is usually fenced and sports "No Trespassing" signs. I don't see the attraction.

These Towers that I have recommened are RED an WHITE , do not sport any signs or Guy wires thus they provide a great safe location to park your drone unti you can come to the Rescue.

We have Hundreds of these Towers in Ohio and thinking other States have them as well , they also are equiped with Speakers on them for Weather Annoucements.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, Search for Red an White Towers. .

No towers like that anywhere around here. They seem like something found in flatter areas maybe? The mountains here would make speakers like that pretty useless. Cool they are there and make a good spot to land.

And that open area around the base of the tower is usually fenced and sports "No Trespassing" signs. I don't see the attraction.
I can't ever see doing this myself, but if I did I'd simply land outside the fenced area. The point that the OP is making, if I understand it correctly, isn't that you have to land as close as possible to the tower - it's that the tower is a useful landmark. For example, if you land 100 feet north of the tower, you can still easily find the tower and then go 100 feet north from it to find your drone. Especially if you pay a bit of attention to the drone's immediate surroundings as you land.

I can't ever see doing this myself, but if I did I'd simply land outside the fenced area. The point that the OP is making, if I understand it correctly, isn't that you have to land as close as possible to the tower - it's that the tower is a useful landmark. For example, if you land 100 feet north of the tower, you can still easily find the tower and then go 100 feet north from it to find your drone. Especially if you pay a bit of attention to the drone's immediate surroundings as you land.
That makes sense. I think it is a regional thing too. We have towers here but landing near most of them would put you in guy wires, fenced areas or more than likely trees. They clear a patch in the woods big enough for the base, fence the proximity off and run the guys out between the trees if they need them outside the fence. Drone hell. Lolol

Yes, my point was Consider adding a Remote Landing area to your flights if possible.

I found the Towers with Flashing Lights and no guy wires to be best. I have 126 towers in my city

Do your homework and find a nice landing spot for your longer flights out. , or an Emergency landing.

Over my last 6 Years of flying I have had quite a few adventures and unique landing spots.

Just for fun ! This was my very first flight with a drone ever , the Phantom 4 Pro . I hovered from my back yard , it had a magnetic interference warning , a hawk carrying a snake came directly at it , and the drone flew far far away. I thought my girl is never going to believe this.

As I was on the phone with my girl telling her how I lost the very expensive drone on my first flight some 25 minutes latter I herd a something outside that scared the Fed Ex Driver as he ran away.

Last edited:
Reactions: slozukimc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne