DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Strike ... nearly!!

It was a gull ... and I live by the coast and do most of my flying over coastal waters. A tragedy waiting to happen, I reckon :)

Reactions: AirBean
Sometimes I avoid flying in areas because I see birds circling. I've been chased by small birds too. You won't know if a bird is engaged in attack runs on your craft at distance. That could explain some of the in flight "motor obstructed" warnings leading up to a crash.

I have just ordered a set of the VERY EXPENSIVE DJI propeller 'cages'. I am hoping that by totally enclosing the blades, I can turn a bird attack from a catastrophe into just a mid-air 'bump'. With luck, the cages won't effect my Mavic's performance too badly.

I have just ordered a set of the VERY EXPENSIVE DJI propeller 'cages'. I am hoping that by totally enclosing the blades, I can turn a bird attack from a catastrophe into just a mid-air 'bump'. With luck, the cages won't effect my Mavic's performance too badly.

Battery life presumably. Motors would need to work harder to maintain the same lift. Compare the RPM on the motors are and post caged

Reactions: Denn_oh
yup, cages drain a lot the battery, I believe more than 50% of its normal charge (normal 22 min, cages i believe around 10 min), anyhow, someone with the cages will bump here eventually.

There's also a setting to check in the DJIGO app when you add the cages. Not sure what it actually does, though.

An inch or so away from losing my Mavic ... And there's absolutely nothing I can do to prevent it in the future!! I get a nasty twinge in my wallet every time i view this clip :-(

Now that's awesome! I think you need to wrap the MP in a custom Eagle Skin! That's the best bird interaction video I've seen. Maybe we should all get into Falconry and send them up to protect our drones. :)

609cf53d36f5b64728c5eb590fe4a01d.jpg

In my case ...

A near miss with a whole flock of birds - I couldn't see them on the screen seen as they flew into my path - the obstacle avoidance kicked in and stopped the Mavic dead causing the remote to vibrate just as the birds appeared on my screen. New underwear needed!

Thankfully no birds were harmed in the making of this video.

As much as I LOVE my MP, I've noticed that the flyers most at risk are all coastal, so I have ordered the SwellPro Splash Drone 3 Auto. This drone is as happy wallowing in the see as it is 320 ft in the air. I will use my MP inland, and the Splash taking care of my coastal activity. I quite like the idea that I can video in rain, snow and bird infested coastal areas without my drone ending up in Davy Jones' Locker.

Reactions: dwallersv
An inch or so away from losing my Mavic ... And there's absolutely nothing I can do to prevent it in the future!! I get a nasty twinge in my wallet every time i view this clip :-(

Maybe he was trying to help level your horizon and got spooked by the blades?

Holy cow, I haven’t read through the entire thread because I got a little excited when I saw this. I have nearly identical footage. Same epic sunset, near miss bird, same boats. Only I recorded my footage saturday a little after the time of your original post. Weird. I’ll try to post the clip here. Its eery.

As far as birds go, the one that took a shot at your mav is public enemy number one. Those gulls will attack my mav in numbers sometimes. When I’m flying over the water along the beach, I always stay line of sight, and I’m always ready to take evasive action. Theres not much more you can do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twentytree