DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Strike

I have footage of a wedgetail eagle attacking my mp. I tried to put it up but its too big so i put it on youtube. You can see his shadow on the ground and then my drone wobbles, then it wobbles again and a flash of wing. Needless to say i packed up for the day.

I have footage of a wedgetail eagle attacking my mp. I tried to put it up but its too big so i put it on youtube. You can see his shadow on the ground and then my drone wobbles, then it wobbles again and a flash of wing. Needless to say i packed up for the day.

I had a bird with big claws attack my MP a few months ago. The claw marks were present on the MP plus the bird cracked a prop. I was lucky enough to get it home. You could see a big 'shock' on the video when it hit the MP & it descended a few feet & jerked in another direction. Never got a pic of the bird & it was too far out to recognize the bird. The claw marks were pretty wicked though...LOL! You'd think the props would take off a bird's foot or toe at least...

Went out to a local parkland today to practice a couple of things, one being timelapse, and out of the blue (literally) I bird dived onto my M2P. I immediately paused it and cancelled the timelapse and reduced altitude hoping to bring it home with both drone and bird unscathed. No sooner that I started to bring the drone back the bird struck again. This happened 3 times and the third time i heard what I'm sure was the props brushing the bird. i stopped the drone and the bird flew into a nearby tree. But when I began moving again it attacked once more. Persistent little bugger if nothing else. I have no idea what variety of bird it was but it's spring here so I assume it is nesting nearby. Is this a common occurrence? I wondered about it from the day I got it and now my wondering wan answered. I'd hate to have injured the thing when all it was trying to do (I think) was protect it's nest.

When attacked, climb like the wind. Your Mavic can easily outclimb even the strongest of birds. Once away from the bird's attention, fly back quickly.

Almost certainly a magpie- they are coming around for fresh mince at the kitchen window three times a day now and taking most of it back to the nest (same tree for the last 3 years). Stupid me forgot about that when I took the mavic 2 out for its test flight over the tennis court. They both came in for the kill. My first use of sport mode, flat stick climb and full forward for a big loop around and back down to me as fast as it would go, first hand catch also. I was ready to perform a CSC above some of the softer vegetation in my garden if I had to.

This adds a new dimension to piloting. Thinking about it now, I'm almost certain it was a magpie. I used to be a cyclist and every year at this time I'd get dive-bombed. :confused:

Look at it this way, you have more experience than most of us. Please keep updating as you learn.
Climbing in Sport mode is something I will try to recall IF I ever get attacked.

Went out to a local parkland today to practice a couple of things, one being timelapse, and out of the blue (literally) I bird dived onto my M2P. I immediately paused it and cancelled the timelapse and reduced altitude hoping to bring it home with both drone and bird unscathed. No sooner that I started to bring the drone back the bird struck again. This happened 3 times and the third time i heard what I'm sure was the props brushing the bird. i stopped the drone and the bird flew into a nearby tree. But when I began moving again it attacked once more. Persistent little bugger if nothing else. I have no idea what variety of bird it was but it's spring here so I assume it is nesting nearby. Is this a common occurrence? I wondered about it from the day I got it and now my wondering wan answered. I'd hate to have injured the thing when all it was trying to do (I think) was protect it's nest.
I fly on the Oregon coast a lot. The first couple of times the gulls would be so bad at times with diving on my MA I would pack it up or change locations. I have since skinned mine with a lime green and yellow pattern and now they don't seem to even be interested in it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith Milligan