DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird strikes

I have had many occasions where flights of pigeons have taken an interest in my Mavic Pro. There are a few flashes in my videos as the pass by. They seem to be interested and just wing past me in formation. The last time the obstacle message flashed on the screen. I did not notice the drone stop, but it was a wee way away.

However I have also had sea gulls take an interest. A whole different game. They act far more aggressively and I am told can attack. The drone may not be seriously damaged. I wonder if it would lose stability and crash? Maybe a chip out of a prop could also cause a loss in stability.

An instructor told me that he puts the drone in sports mode and flies vertically very quickly. He says this startles the gulls as they are not familiar with vertical flight and they leave it alone. I tried this but the AP told me I could not change mode while flying.

I have got used to the pigeons, just, but avoid the larger and more aggressive gulls. I just exit the space. Gulls tend to be territorial and focus quite low.

Ive never *seen* the drone hit but suspect it might have been.

Seagulls are particularly aggressive (in general too, vermin with wings) and they seem to attack it by default as a first instinct.
Other birds ive seen circle around and dive past it but never directly try to attack - more of a territorial show.

The ones that worry me are Frigate birds and the Sea Eagles. They circle and take a clear interest but haven't yet attacked.

A gull can easily take down a mavic, a bit of damage to a prop is all its going to take. The mavic has no redundancy - if it loses propulsion or too much vibration on one motor or prop then its now a tumbling brick.

Reactions: Flynz
...An instructor told me that he puts the drone in sports mode and flies vertically very quickly. He says this startles the gulls as they are not familiar with vertical flight and they leave it alone. I tried this but the AP told me I could not change mode while flying...
You can easily change into and out of sport mode while flying using the switch on the side of the RC.

Reactions: RichieGG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason