DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bit blowy out there ?

Well, thank goodness the BBC can be relied upon for reliable weather reports...
Unfortunately, there is no flying today because of the 586 mph winds ;)
Coward, 🤣 , think of it as an opportunity to break
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and, of course sacrifice your drone in the process 🤣

Last edited:
Well, thank goodness the BBC can be relied upon for reliable weather reports...
Unfortunately, there is no flying today because of the 586 mph winds ;)

View attachment 178156

Definitely fly into the wind so you'll get the tailwind on the way back.

Super Sport Mode. Zoom! 😲

• Haha
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
The drone might still be going backwards even when flying forwards.

Joking aside, a bit of the code in my log book program looks for instances where the drone is being blown backward moving backwards despite attempting to fly forwards, yes I am 'strange'.
I think this was aimed at RTHs.
It's no longer active and I haven't kept it is output files but from memory there were quite a few flights where this occurred for a while.

Thinking about it I should add a check that there was not backward elevator applied. I have the memory of forcing a mini 1 to reverse during RTH

Reactions: MA2 317
Coward, 🤣 , think of it as an opportunity to break
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and, of course sacrifice your drone in the process 🤣
Hey, it happens.

My (second) Air 3 got whacked by a 98mph+ gust (microburst out of NOWHERE) at just 370' last week shooting a (neighbor) clients' property for an insurance claim, i watched it suddenly get thrown completely sideways and down HARD and get slammed into trees, my poor little AIR 3 was fighting to stay alive the whole time...

Local forecasts said 10-15 mph light breeze... Until the next day, when the microburst was reported and weather info was 'corrected'. A few trees came down as well.

We laughed about it, client even said 'so does that fall under MY claim or yours?'

...He then asked if i was going to take 'your other drone' which was a Mini 4 Pro up to finish the job 🤣 'UH, NO!'

He assumed a smaller drone would mean less surface area and hence less prone to getting kicked around by the wind 🤣

Funniest thing ive ever seen RC/UAV wise was one of those helium balloon 'RC blimps' that were meant for INDOOR USE ONLY that got absolutely THRASHED in the skies above a small city in PA... It was a big silver helium filled disc with a TINY three fan array and an RC range you would expect for bluetooth stuff.

As soon as it got launched it was taken up and away by the wind and blown over the ghetto of said small city, where it was reported and shot at by the fine folk below, the incident even made the evening news with police pleading with citizens to NOT fire guns etc at it...

Hey, it happens.

My (second) Air 3 got whacked by a 98mph+ gust (microburst out of NOWHERE) at just 370' last week shooting a (neighbor) clients' property for an insurance claim, i watched it suddenly get thrown completely sideways and down HARD and get slammed into trees, my poor little AIR 3 was fighting to stay alive the whole time...

Local forecasts said 10-15 mph light breeze... Until the next day, when the microburst was reported and weather info was 'corrected'. A few trees came down as well.

We laughed about it, client even said 'so does that fall under MY claim or yours?'

...He then asked if i was going to take 'your other drone' which was a Mini 4 Pro up to finish the job 🤣 'UH, NO!'

He assumed a smaller drone would mean less surface area and hence less prone to getting kicked around by the wind 🤣

Funniest thing ive ever seen RC/UAV wise was one of those helium balloon 'RC blimps' that were meant for INDOOR USE ONLY that got absolutely THRASHED in the skies above a small city in PA... It was a big silver helium filled disc with a TINY three fan array and an RC range you would expect for bluetooth stuff.

As soon as it got launched it was taken up and away by the wind and blown over the ghetto of said small city, where it was reported and shot at by the fine folk below, the incident even made the evening news with police pleading with citizens to NOT fire guns etc at it...
Certainly it happens .. by accident ....... been there done that on quite a few occasions........ but from memory that guy deliberately launched into a named storm.

Size has little to do with how susceptible a drone is to wind.
What matters is its maximum airspeed and that ties up with the maximum allowed tilt of the drone.
On some or perhaps all drones DJI add a little wiggle room to the 'normally allowed' angles of tilt for a given flight mode by setting the setting the maximum angle of tilt a bit higher than that needed in normal situations.

Drone mass will have a temporary effect in that it will change the acceleration of a drone but once the drone is at 'constant' speed mass is irrelevant.

Reactions: Xi Zhou
Certainly it happens .. by accident ....... been there done that on quite a few occasions........ but from memory that guy deliberately launched into a named storm.

Size has little to do with how susceptible a drone is to wind.
What matters is its maximum airspeed and that ties up with the maximum allowed tilt of the drone.
On some or perhaps all drones DJI add a little wiggle room to the 'normally allowed' angles of tilt for a given flight mode by setting the setting the maximum angle of tilt a bit higher than that needed in normal situations.

Drone mass will have a temporary effect in that it will change the acceleration of a drone but once the drone is at 'constant' speed mass is irrelevant.
Mass matters as far as initial absorption for gusts along with max power, but surface area and maximum power matter in terms of sustained winds or stability in gusts; its physics. Mini 4 Pro is not NEARLY as capable in sustained higher winds or high speed gusts as the Air 3 due to less power and less mass; smaller motors and rotors mean less power.

The increased mass of the Air 3 allows it to buffer gusts better and the considerably higher power allows it to remain stable or stay close enough to bring down vs the M4P.

Launching into a named storm, the bloke in the vid knew what he was doing and the likely end result.

The microburst that murdered my Air 3 would have sent my M4P flying off even faster to its inevitable 'Care Refresh' replacement grave.

Mass is never irrelevant, its more about conserving inertia, more mass coupled with more powerful motors allow the drone to keep itself stable initially and smooth out better as well, but if it gets shoved hard enough to accellerate it to XYZ speed, that increased mass works against the larger motors harder than the lower mass drone if it had equal power output.

Its no different than guns, which is a hobby of mine. A cartridge with a heavier projectile/higher speed/more propellant will have more felt, sharper recoil than a lighter/slower/less propellent cartridge, assuming same weight for said rifles, and same operating system eg roller delayed/piston, bolt action etc.

My 5.56 AK is about 8lbs, while my 308 is around 13 lbs. Recoil is a totally different impulse between them, slower and 'softer' feel on the heavier 308, where the lighter 5.56 feels shorter and sharper. I have deliberately added weight to the heavier 308 AK, and i use a different muzzle device design as well.

You cant cheat physics, you have to choose a system and adapt it for what you want/expect in a realistic manner.

Mass matters as far as initial absorption for gusts along with max power, but surface area and maximum power matter in terms of sustained winds or stability in gusts; its phys ,............
I dealt with mass in the final paragraph of my post and said much the same thing as my understanding of what you said. But it's a short lived effect.
Inertia is part and parcel of mass.

I was and am aware that drag etc. is affected by shape and size but it still all boils down to the maximum air speed of the drone.
And consideration of that is dealt with by the drone's maximum airspeed.
I.e. a tiny drone that has a maximum airspeed of 40mph will be blown away if the wind speed is 41mph at just the same rate as large drone with a maximum airspeed of 40mph will be in the same wind.
It may be wise to delete the discussion of the other hobby, I have the impression it is not particularly well received on this forum.

I dealt with mass in the final paragraph of my post and said much the same thing as my understanding of what you said. But it's a short lived effect.
Inertia is part and parcel of mass.

I was and am aware that drag etc. is affected by shape and size but it still all boils down to the maximum air speed of the drone.
And consideration of that is dealt with by the drone's maximum airspeed.
I.e. a tiny drone that has a maximum airspeed of 40mph will be blown away if the wind speed is 41mph at just the same rate as large drone with a maximum airspeed of 40mph will be in the same wind.
It may be wise to delete the discussion of the other hobby, I have the impression it is not particularly well received on this forum.
We both agree on that, problem is max speed on smaller drones does not match that of larger drones. 2m/s is a decent difference between M4P and Air3, about 20%. No real equivalency and too many variables to compare, but real world results based on stability of footage is pretty damning in terms of wind speed vs DJI drone 'class/size', eg Mini 4 Pro vs Air 3 in my case.

As far as my other hobby, if it is unwelcome or anathema as fas as discussion/comparisons, ill just leave this forum.

I'm Alaskan; guns are simply a part of life back home, and critical to survival.

problem is max speed on smaller drones does not match that of larger drones. 2m/s is a decent difference between M4P and Air3, about 20
That's down to how much power and tilt DJI decide to let the drone use.
Speed wise my FPV whops the pants off all my other drones or would do if I had the bottle to to use it lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameslee17