DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bitterly disappointed with my Mavic Pro. The thing is a dud and the supplier here in Cape Town South Africa appears to be completely disinterested. T

mallen12

Reactions
The drone has never been in an accident of any description. The problem, Literally within a few seconds of starting up, even before the drone leaves the ground a small blob of mist appears inside the lens. The local dealer is not interested in talking, all they want is for me to bring it in and they will replace for what I consider a ridiculous amount of cash. I am bitter and now about to broad caste how useless this brand is,
Regards
Michael

• Wow
Reactions: otisbrazwell
I am bitter and now about to broad caste how useless this brand is,
And you know how useless the brand is how?
Sounds like you've had almost zero experience to base that assessment on.

ps .. mist forming on the inside of the UV filter sounds like an environmental issue rather than a problem with the drone.
Think humidity/temperature/air conditioning etc.

I am bitter and now about to broad caste how useless this brand is,
Your local dealer may be useless, but that's not the same as DJI being useless.

First, I agree that it sounds like a temperature/humidity problem. There's nothing inside the camera that would be causing mist.

Second, if there is indeed a warranty issue and the local dealership won't do anything, contact DJI customer service for a warranty repair or replacement. That's how warranties work, and you get help a lot quicker than posting noise on social media like a petulant child.

Firstly,I know how useless the brand is, because I have been on tube, where I have found many similar complaints and many "solutions" I have tried some but to no avail. Secondly, the dealer here is DJi approved, so who else should i get hold of for assistance. I don't have any contact details for DJi direct. I don't have a UV filter attached, simply the lens. I cannot get into or behind the lens to clean the mist. This is not a humid part of the world, any further comments that may help?

Michael

Michael, I hear your frustration. I would be frustrated too.

I have the Mavic 2 Pro, so I had to do some brief research on the Mavic Pro which you indicted you own. Here is a fairly easy to follow video of the lens being replaced:

This replacement was due to a crack, but in your case, if the lens body was removed, maybe you could place it in jar full of dry, uncooked rice for a day or two. You probably have some trapped moisture inside the housing. This can happen, I suppose, by taking the copter out of an air conditioned car or building and exposing it to moist air.

As an alternative to taking the camera apart, you could also simply place the entire Mavic into a larger container with a lot of rice, and seal it up for a few or more days - battery, SD Card, and props removed. I would suggest wrapping the copter with cheese cloth in order to keep the rice out of it. This method will take longer however, as the moisture needs to find its way out of the fully assembled camera, but given time, it will, after all, the moisture got in...

In the off chance that this moisture was introduced in the factory, and is now sealed inside the lens body, I think the only remedy will be lens replacement. I doubt that is the case though. It's much more likely that the copter was exposed to rain or other moisture at one time, and it will take a bit of effort on your part to get it out.

Keep positive my friend! Remember, we do this for fun! I look forward to hearing when you get it all worked out..

Secondly, the dealer here is DJi approved, so who else should i get hold of for assistance. I don't have any contact details for DJi direct.

Contact details for DJI will be listed in your owner's manual. There's also Google.

I don't have a UV filter attached, simply the lens.
Yes, you do. The outside part of the lens you can touch is a protective UV filter, and it's removable.

Michael, I hear your frustration. I would be frustrated too.

I have the Mavic 2 Pro, so I had to do some brief research on the Mavic Pro which you indicted you own. Here is a fairly easy to follow video of the lens being replaced:

This replacement was due to a crack, but in your case, if the lens body was removed, maybe you could place it in jar full of dry, uncooked rice for a day or two. You probably have some trapped moisture inside the housing. This can happen, I suppose, by taking the copter out of an air conditioned car or building and exposing it to moist air.

As an alternative to taking the camera apart, you could also simply place the entire Mavic into a larger container with a lot of rice, and seal it up for a few or more days - battery, SD Card, and props removed. I would suggest wrapping the copter with cheese cloth in order to keep the rice out of it. This method will take longer however, as the moisture needs to find its way out of the fully assembled camera, but given time, it will, after all, the moisture got in...

In the off chance that this moisture was introduced in the factory, and is now sealed inside the lens body, I think the only remedy will be lens replacement. I doubt that is the case though. It's much more likely that the copter was exposed to rain or other moisture at one time, and it will take a bit of effort on your part to get it out.

Keep positive my friend! Remember, we do this for fun! I look forward to hearing when you get it all worked out..
Thank you for your assistance, looks simple enough, but where do you buy the replacement lens. I have called the dealer here, they have stock, but will not sell me the part. They say only DJI persomell are permitted to do work o the machine. Thank you so much for your assistance, best wishes
Michael

Thank you for your assistance, looks simple enough, but where do you buy the replacement lens. I have called the dealer here, they have stock, but will not sell me the part. They say only DJI persomell are permitted to do work o the machine. Thank you so much for your assistance, best wishes
Michael
I found this one on Ebay: Genuine Original Gimbal Video Camera Lens Repair Part for DJI Mavic Pro RC Drone | eBay

Maybe a search from where you are will result in a source that is even closer to you. I would try to dry yours out first, if that is all that is wrong.

And to clear up any confusion, as far as I can tell, the Mavic Pro's outer lens is not removable from the lens body. ND filters for this camera snap on over the existing lens rather than in place of the existing lens. Try drying it out as mentioned above.

If you are in a hot and humid area, and are coming from a well air conditioned space, place the drone in a large baggie and seal it. Then go outdoors and let the temperature of the drone warm up ( yeah it takes a while.) Then remove it from the bag. If you've properly warmed up the camera lens unit, you should not get condensation.

Firstly,I know how useless the brand is, because I have been on tube, where I have found many similar complaints and many "solutions" I have tried some but to no avail.

You aren't going to get much sympathy saying essentially "I saw negative things on the interwebs and the internet is always right."

There are issues with any company, but this sounds like a case of frustration meeting confirmation bias.

I hope you'll heed to the advice of the folks here. I'm sure there are more solutions than the one's you've already given up on.

Simple fix that was created from the drone going from a cool environment (air conditioned house) to a warm place - condensation - you need to keep it in a sealed container - not a hardware issue and that's why the seller is brushing you off - not his fault but yours - hold the camera directly into the warm sun for a few seconds and once the lens warms up it will be gone.

So.. firstly, many thanks to all of you for the assistance and suggestions I have received. I really do appreciate this. I have tried everything that has been suggested excepting for replacing the actual lens/camer. I am still baffled. I have been flying radio controlled models both fixed wing and helicopters for 20 years or more. I have done a fair amount of arial photography from the helicopters and never had the problem I am having with the DJI Mavic Pro.
The back ground

I bought the drone in August or September Last year. Have not flown as much as I would have liked, but have had it out on a number of occasions. It has operated perfectly, excepting for orientation of the compass. IT allows me to turn the drone on a horizontal axis but will not work in vertical . It always sends message that the magnetic field is too strong, or something similar. Not too worried about this, a few mates have same problem. In the past up to a few weeks, maybe a month or two. The lens fogging started.
Nothing has changed, the drone is stored in doors on my desk . There is virtually no humidity, I have not used any aircon. The lens is not cracked. After reading the comments that have been left for me over the past few days, I have removed battery, and placed the drone in the warm sun for a while this morning, Maybe about half an hour, possibly a little longer. Then I connected the battery and made ready to fly. I was excited, beautiful picture for about 2 minutes, then the misting started again, so if anyone has any further suggestions, I shall be happy to try almost anything.
Thanks in anticipation

\Michael

As stated before - hold drone camera directly into the warm sun - not leave the drone in the sun - leave the gimbal clamp on when doing this - not the morning sun - not the evening sun - a daytime hot sun above 70 degrees - not 100 that would be too hot and may damage something - a fairly warm sun - when the lense warms up, the moisture will evaporate. I have had to do this a few times as I live in the coast of Canada - lots of humidity here - I can even go back and find video of the moisture when I fly then held it up to sun then flew again and clear. If I have time I will try and find it - also if you have a dehumidifier it wouldn’t hurt to put it by it for a day or so

Reactions: mallen12
As stated before - hold drone camera directly into the warm sun - not leave the drone in the sun - leave the gimbal clamp on when doing this - not the morning sun - not the evening sun - a daytime hot sun above 70 degrees - not 100 that would be too hot and may damage something - a fairly warm sun - when the lense warms up, the moisture will evaporate. I have had to do this a few times as I live in the coast of Canada - lots of humidity here - I can even go back and find video of the moisture when I fly then held it up to sun then flew again and clear. If I have time I will try and find it - also if you have a dehumidifier it wouldn’t hurt to put it by it for a day or so
Thanks, will try again

IT allows me to turn the drone on a horizontal axis but will not work in vertical . It always sends message that the magnetic field is too strong, or something similar. Not too worried about this, a few mates have same problem.

I suggest you get the calibration issue sorted, clearly there is something interfering while you try to calibrate (I have to take my Garmin Fenix watch off when I calibrate, and also had to move away from steel patio furniture just now to get a calibration done - as an example).

Next thing we read a thread about your flyaway...

Hope you get the camera sorted.

Not sure who the dealer is but there is really only one in Cape Town it could be.
Am a bit sad to see you are not having a good experience with them, I have only had great service (if it is the same shop of course).

Firstly,I know how useless the brand is, because I have been on tube, where I have found many similar complaints and many "solutions" I have tried some but to no avail.

Sorry, but there I do not really understand this. If I consider to buy an article, any article, and I see a lot of negativ reviews on the internet, I do consider it not once or twice but even more. I do backchecks on the reviews, sometimes you have people that make others responsible for their own incapability and then do bad reviews on youtube. The higher the price of the item I am looking at is, the more I keep thinking about bad reviews.

So why on earth did you, knowing as you stated, about the bad DJI products and service, decide to buy a DJI product anyway? And why did you order it at a local dealer and not directly with DJI?

I decided to buy my MA with DJI directly, simply to cut of the edge of a local dealer that signs not responsible for any problem. Worked out well for me.

You should be able to visually determine where the condensate is. There are 3 places it could be that are easily seen.

1. The front surface of the outer lens, the UAV filter.
2. The back surface of the outer lens.
3. The front surface of the 2nd lens - the actual lens being used to image the scene for the sensor.

Any of those surfaces are easily cleaned with a clean microfiber cloth. The front us filter unscrews allowing you to take it off, and clean both surfaces. The front surface of the 2nd lens is also exposed, and you can clean it as well. I would leave the UAV filter off for a couple of hours and let that space dry out. Put it back together and check immediately for moisture. If no moisture at first, and later appears, report which surface is getting fogged. That will be the clue as to what is happening.

From your description, this is not a drone problem at all, any more tHan fog on a car’s window is.

It's not the drone. You can also put the same stuff on the inside of the UV filter that swimmers use on their goggles to prevent fogging and condensation.

(Spit and soap are two cheap short-term fixes that swimmers also use to prevent fogging and condensation. I use both when swimming my daily mile.)

Hey boet, sorry about your troubles ;)
I'm originally from East London... so basically neighbors. First thing is if you had the drone (any camera equipment for that matter) in an air conditioned environment (like in your car) and you step out into a humid environment (you're by the sea, right) then the lense will tend to fog up. Give it time to acclimatize, some anti fog wipes my help as someone stated. I wear glasses and it happens to me when walking out a building.
Drill the dealer where you bought it, don't take kak from kabouters.
Track down a chap named Bruce Sutherland, he's a pro photographer in Cape Town and has a lot of drone experience specifically with the MP and also P4 and Inspire. He's an all round good fella.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27