DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blemish in camera images

I don't understand why anyone would want to fly with the gimbal clamped. If the gimbal is still moving after calibration, take it in for a checkout. Gimbals will often bounce around in the air (that's their purpose) and will appear to be loose and bouncy for a few seconds after turning the drone on. but it's what comes out as video that matters. The whole reason for the gimbal existing is so that it can move freely in flight to provide stable pictures no matter what the drone is doing, If it was designed not to move it would have been fixed to the body by DJI. And flying with the cover on only degrades the quality of the image coming from the excellent lens that these drones are fitted with. Pro photographers do not place cheap plastic in front of top-quality lenses. Individual flyers have individual reasons, and each to his own I guess but I can't see the point as the gimbal/camera does not need protecting in normal flight. Anyone who wants to do that may as well just save some money and buy a cheap drone.

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone would want to fly with the gimbal clamped.
No one should fly with the gimbal clamped. Please don't fly with the gimbal clamped.

There are two different plastic pieces that are used to protect the gimbal: the clamp (holds the gimbal in place when the drone is powered off only) and the cover (adds an extra layer of protection without impeding the gimbal's movement). The clamp should always be removed before powering on the drone. Leaving it attached will cause a gimbal overload error and can damage the gimbal.

The cover, on the other hand, can optionally be placed back on the drone during flight
to provide extra protection (according to this article from DJI). I personally don't fly with the cover attached (like you said, the plastic will cause icky artifacts in images) but it's not necessarily a bad thing to do so. It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Want good photos/video? Probably a good idea to take it off. Don't care about image quality? Fine to leave it on.

The link I shared for the third-party cover is a combination of these two pieces. Since it contains a clamp, it should definitely be removed before flight. I use one like this. I find it easier to keep track of one small piece of plastic instead of two, and since I don't fly with a cover, it makes no difference to me operationally. Lakesteve124 asked for a link to a cover like this, so I shared one similar to the one I have, but to anyone else looking at this thread, don't buy this cover (or one like it) if you're planning on leaving the cover on during flight.

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
The original Mavic Pro came with an opaque black covering that was placed over the gimbal COVER to temporarily blind the camera where there were privacy issues but a flying session was taking place so DJI must have sanctioned flight with the cover on after removing the CLAMP.

I never said anything about flying with the gimbal clamped. I said I would like the aftermarket cover to use after each time I fly.

I appreciate the responses, and thank you for the link!

Reactions: JamieB

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka