DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bloated battery

I'm no guru but I would check it out on the Mavic via pc, check for updates will trigger the battery check to and see what it says. It does not look like much from the photo. If you are still worried use it for close flights only.

Reactions: EsiMavic
In LiPo batteries, bloated is referred to as "puffed" and I would not fly with it. The dent that @Irish-apple is referring to might have compromised the cells, and then it's game over for the battery. Puffed batteries might not latch in well due to the extra size on the bottom. Once LiPos have puffed, they can be unstable chemically, and cause many problems including dangerous charging and erratic discharge characteristics. I have a garage full of them from people who crashed.

Don't even attempt to fly with swelled up batteries my friend - just not worth the risk.
Connect up your Mavic to the controller & go into the App to check voltages in the cells......probably find they are all different which is a good indication NOT to use them.
I have had the same thing happen to my DJI batteries so after MUCH research found the following batteries PLUS a great battery charger to go along with the new batteries:- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SFLYW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SFLYW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hope this helps - just glad I finally changed from DJI batteries - these new ones are really great ALL the same features 'smart' etc so we'll see how they hold up - nice to know there's an alternative right????

Can i ask... how many cycles did you get??
How many days did you set your batteries to discharge?
Do you leave it fully charged??
Did you mod your mavic in anyway to exceed voltage limits?

Don't fly with it and don't bin it yet. There is still a few good uses out of it.
use that battery as a battery bank if you have the adapter. You can charge your controller, phone and other small portable devices.
I would also use that battery to update firmware or make ground changes.

Can i ask... how many cycles did you get??
How many days did you set your batteries to discharge?
Do you leave it fully charged??
Did you mod your mavic in anyway to exceed voltage limits?

Don't fly with it and don't bin it yet. There is still a few good uses out of it.
use that battery as a battery bank if you have the adapter. You can charge your controller, phone and other small portable devices.
I would also use that battery to update firmware or make ground changes.
Can i ask... how many cycles did you get?? 89 49 32 cycles
How many days did you set your batteries to discharge? 10 days
Do you leave it fully charged?? Yes
Did you mod your mavic in anyway to exceed voltage limits? No

I, too, see some puffing in 2 of my batteries. I have left mine fully charged in the past, as DJI's manual indicates that there is,circuitry to self-discharge to prevent damage.

I have to wonder if this is covered by DJI Care Refresh?

I have left mine fully charged in the past, as DJI's manual indicates that there is,circuitry to self-discharge to prevent damage
Right -- they do auto discharge. The things that normally cause them to become puffy are letting them sit for long periods of time without use (2+ months) or storing them in hot conditions.

I, too, see some puffing in 2 of my batteries. I have left mine fully charged in the past, as DJI's manual indicates that there is,circuitry to self-discharge to prevent damage.

I have to wonder if this is covered by DJI Care Refresh?

How old and how many cycles do the batteries have on them? Refresh should cover the batteries.

I will not keep puffed batteries around. Our RC boat group had a Lipo battery go up and this was while it was at storage voltage (3.75V per cell). FE boats are a lot harder on batteries than drones though. My boat batteries are stored in a small fridge in my outside concrete bar now. I haven't done that with M2P batts though.

Reactions: Former Member
Right -- they do auto discharge. The things that normally cause them to become puffy are letting them sit for long periods of time without use (2+ months) or storing them in hot conditions.
I still have to hook up to the PC to find out for sure, but if they do cover it (and I'm expecting they will from what I've read), it will be an easy justification for another year of DJI Care refresh

Don’t fly with them. That’s too big of a risk to lose your $1000 aircraft over an $89 bAttery.

First of all for the sake of your other batteries you should change your discharge days from 10 to 2 this is probably why your battery swelled up in the first place. do you keep them fully charged for the whole 10 days? I'm guessing you do please take my advice the voltages look good but I just would not fly with that battery because of puffed up battery especially in the mavic Pro has a tendency to pop out or off the connection.

The main thing here is not to let them stand for longer than 8 weeks with out discharging and then charging them.

I have batteries that are almost two years old and I have always done this aswell as setting them to 10 day auto discharge.

The main thing here is not to let them stand for longer than 8 weeks with out discharging and then charging them.

I have batteries that are almost two years old and I have always done this aswell as setting them to 10 day auto discharge.
I'm sorry but I think all together this is just bad advice.... 10 days is way too long I would recommend to and eight weeks is way too long to be checking on lipos they are just too picky if I did that to my 12s and 14s packs for my heli's I would be out hundreds of dollars.....with dji lipos I would just make sure you keep them at a storage voltage of 3.80 which is around 35% or 30% is good and check on them every few weeks not 8 weeks

Reactions: mnis
I see a lot of people talking about puffed up batteries but no one mentioning why it happens. Why do these labels puff? It seems there is some sort of gas build up under them. It isn't as though the case itself is warping. Why does this happen? What is the gas? If the prmary concern is that they pop out this could be taken care of with a pin hole puncture to the label. Is there any info on what is actually happening to cause this puff and whether it is in fact a problem in the battery? I have 3 batteries and all did this. Would hate to see people tossing them just out of unsubstantiated fear.

From the voltage figure, it looks like overcharged. Did you use original charger.?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman