DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blocked airspace; is it just me??

Steve Bernstein

Reactions
Good day, All! I was on assignment this morning to photograph a car rally which began on the grounds of our State capitol. Even though the event organizer obtained a limited permit to fly drones I was unable to launch my Mavic 2 Pro. Interestingly, there was a large octocopter flying above. What gives??? Thx very much!

Hi Steve Bernstein Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Perhaps the limited permit only covered the organizer’s drones not the general public
Was your assignment for the organizer or yourself ?

Reactions: Jimm
Good day, All! I was on assignment this morning to photograph a car rally which began on the grounds of our State capitol. Even though the event organizer obtained a limited permit to fly drones I was unable to launch my Mavic 2 Pro. Interestingly, there was a large octocopter flying above. What gives??? Thx very much!
How is the software on your drone supposed to know about the ”permit” granted to someone else? If you couldn’t take off, it was DJI blocking you, not the Capitol-authorities themselves.

Welcome to the forum :)

The "Organizer" has no control over the airspace if it's Controlled. You would need to get approval either from LAANC (if approved) or DroneZone is not under LAANC.

also keep in mind that DJI aircraft also operate within the DJI FlySafe set of restrictions so it's entirely possible you could need to get FAA approval and do a DJI UNlock.

Reactions: Jimm and bcfd29

This sounds like purely a DJI Unlock needed to "launch" your M2P but if it was controlled airspace it would be illegal to do so without the Airspace Approval from the FAA.

Odds are the OCTO was not a DJI aircraft so they aren't restricted like DJI aircraft are. Always have a backup plan and aircraft just for these instances.

This sounds like purely a DJI Unlock needed to "launch" your M2P but if it was controlled airspace it would be illegal to do so without the Airspace Approval from the FAA.

Odds are the OCTO was not a DJI aircraft so they aren't restricted like DJI aircraft are. Always have a backup plan and aircraft just for these instances.
Exactly. The only thing I would add is to always plan ahead. Showing up the day of the event without any idea of controlled airspace or DJI Geo Zones is just bad planning.

If you give us the address of the location we can better explain this to you. And how to avoid it for next time
I’m also curious if you have a part 107. Your wonderment at controlled airspace makes me think you don’t.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv