DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bloody flying rats ( seagulls)

I have decided to install the prop guards when flying at sea, at the cost of consuming more battery ( weight and air drag).

Hi all

So there I was day 3 of flying having bought Mavic Pro last Tuesday. Days 1 and 2 went well on beginner so thought would try normal set up and went to Fleetwood beach UK. No wind sunny and beach quiet. Auto lift off. Raised up to 10 metres then woosh the white flying rats ( seagulls) attacked taking turns to dive bomb the drone and swoop away missing by inches. Landed **** quick manually so drone wouldnt go up to 30 metres as per GTH setting. I recon there was about 30 of them.

So lesson learned there. Seagulls in numbers will attack a drone.

All part of the fun I suppose.

Does anyone manufacture a drone with a machine gun on the front ?

Regards Paul
Same issues down here in Kent until I but Stobe LED's on now they stay clear.

I'm yet to face any seagulls when flying along the mersey but definitely something to bare in mind

I dare say the seagulls in Wales are a tad smarter than those in the neighboring provinces....all like their chips though.

great post @Chip ,during the whole thing i was waiting for the other Gull to twig and start dancing as well, i wonder how long it took for the dancer to work out how to get chips

Reactions: Chip
Yes, it is too bad that seagulls are federally protected. Have you ever seen what seagull poo does to your car's paint - dissolves the paint right down to the metal. Plus they will steal any food left out on your picnic table. Too bad they are "protected" because they make great shotgun targets - not that I have ever done that... LOL! Nasty, nasty birds!...

When my niece was 12 years old, she rescued an injured seagull and brought it home. She kept it in the backyard and nursed it back to health until it could fly away on it's own. Sammy the seagull she called it. It took about a week. When Sammy flew the coup we had to hose down the backyard. On that note a friend lives across from a large pond that looks beautiful, but trying to walk to the waters edge is a no go. BTW it's heavily visited by Geese. Just what birds do do.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I live 0.5 miles from sea. I often fly from my garden and as soon as I launch the screaming horde arrive and dive too close for comfort. Now if I even go into the garden without a drone they start screaming. In a park about a mile away no problem, on a beach 5 miles away no problem.
I fitted a strobe on one front leg and they definitely don't like it. Thinking of adding 3 more !
I like the idea of a quick climb to above but in UK we are now limited to 400 ft and I reckon they fly higher.

You should do something about your cats!?

Yeah, how about those lazy cats! That's not me or my cat fortunately. Just one of the great seagull videos I found on YT. My little bobtail cat is warm and friendly EXCEPT when it comes to anything with fur or feathers. He enforces an absolute zero tolerance policy inside the house. Its hard for me to imagine him not going medieval on a seagull that strolled into our house and started eating his food out of the dish! But kudos to the gull in the video for having nerves of steel! :)

Reactions: JanB
Hi all

So there I was day 3 of flying having bought Mavic Pro last Tuesday. Days 1 and 2 went well on beginner so thought would try normal set up and went to Fleetwood beach UK. No wind sunny and beach quiet. Auto lift off. Raised up to 10 metres then woosh the white flying rats ( seagulls) attacked taking turns to dive bomb the drone and swoop away missing by inches. Landed **** quick manually so drone wouldnt go up to 30 metres as per GTH setting. I recon there was about 30 of them.

Regards Paul
Razor blades on the rotors !!!!!

I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience with our feathered brethren. I think they where telling you something. “Hey pal! Can’t you see I brought my special lady with my for a nice pace full flight. While I’m feeling lucky you are trying to fire up this infernal flying lawnmower. Not cool. Totally killing the vibe!” In all seriousness I’ve made this video to celebrate these magnificent creatures. Imagine how many hours we’ve flown together. I’ve only encountered a aggressive reaction once, so statistically the seagulls have been more tolerant of my flying then humans so far. Many pace full flights!

I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience with our feathered brethren. I think they where telling you something. “Hey pal! Can’t you see I brought my special lady with my for a nice pace full flight. While I’m feeling lucky you are trying to fire up this infernal flying lawnmower. Not cool. Totally killing the vibe!” In all seriousness I’ve made this video to celebrate these magnificent creatures. Imagine how many hours we’ve flown together. I’ve only encountered a aggressive reaction once, so statistically the seagulls have been more tolerant of my flying then humans so far. Many pace full flights!

WOW, your video was amazing! All of it, including the music. Very well done.

Reactions: Derlisz
Hi all

Regards Paul
If you find that machine gun, please let me know. I've got a score to settle. I mean who wants to keep getting punked by birds?

Lovely and white over here. Clouds are looking good for a beautiful yet moody sunrise. Thanks to the new rules I can now take off from my garden with the MM2. So, cuppa in hand I head out to get a lovely (in my view) photo and finally use my MM2 properly. Fifty feet into the air and I’m swarmed by a flock of these horrible sky monsters. Out of nowhere they come, and they’ve got their horrible beady eyes on my quadcopter as if it was a bag of fish and chips at Whitby harbour. So, straight back down I come. No photo, and my tea had gone cold. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat