Marvic Mini
I had two crashes in three weeks
one my fault crashed into tree second one My Luck a hawk knocked out of air
But to my questions on Mini fly aways every body saying Minis fault
How high were they flying
How far away
How strong was the wind
With all posts of Fly Aways I’m scared to fly
But no one posts when they have a good flight I’m sure the good ones out number the bad ones
I’m thinking most of the problems are self inflicted

That's the way with most people, eager to complain but not to praise.
When I was a joiner for a housing association the boss got us all together to read a letter out saying what a good job his men had done, apparently it was the first one he had ever got.

Reactions: Thanev
Marvic Mini
There is a difference between flyaway and crashing into a tree or a hawk hunting it.

- How high were they flying?
- How far away ?
- How strong was the wind?
People lose it when the wind is too strong. Sometimes they lost it over water at 10-15 m distance. It's irrelevant as it can happen any time when you can not control it anymore.

But no one posts when they have a good flight I’m sure the good ones out number the bad ones
Don't be scarred to fly, just learn how to do it properly. At the very beginning, fly low and slow. Low means less than 30 m (10-20m) and fly in clear areas so you can react if something wrong happens (or just be able to land). By flying in clear ares you are not afraid to crash into trees or buildings. Then once you get some sort of feeling you will be able to assess how the drone behaves in wind (normal one), how you can act when it happens, like switching to sport mode and descending at a safe 3-5m altitude. Build up confidence and gain experience over time. Wind is always stronger higher up, than at the ground level.

Or, you can also learn from the mistakes of others as in each thread you can read what went wrong and what could have been done to avoid it. This way you can avoid certain common mistakes.

Safe flights!

in every flight i undertake with my UAVs,i am always aware that something could go wrong,but it is important not to let that thought take over your mind set,by maintaining my UAVs and flying them within their capabilities,i can enjoy the experience,and the more i fly the easier it becomes,problems do and will arise during a flight,and with practice you will learn how to deal with them successfully and live to fly another day

Morning!

Don't be scared to fly. You spent all that money on a great piece of kit. As long as you're sensible, follow the manual, and pay attention to the warnings on the screen you'll be fine.

My top tip - if you get into difficulty lower your Mavic. Just get it as low as possible while avoiding any obstructions, and keeping it in sight. If you can land it, and still see it to go and pick it up, do that. If not, get it as lows as possible and get it to a point you can retrieve it. That will get you out of any wind difficulty quicker than pressing RTH, and you'll be fine as long as you fly within line of sight.

For me I use UAV Forecast - if it isnt green I just dont fly. I am happy flying out over water at a given height when i have verified it isnt getting blown away first at that height....

Keep an eye on distance and ensure its going where you want and not going away from it....

Use the map if you really get confused ....

Whilst I know it should be kept in VLOS I find its so small that thats not as much of a distance as I would want but still I make sure I know exactly where it is with the map.

watch every youtube video you can on rookie mistakes with drones as well as the drone tests on the mini.

Agree on stopping the flight at 30% battery .... i can forego a few minutes of footage for a safe return.

Its just common sense really and if you are ever unsure just let go of the sticks until you figure it out ..

@Walkery ... I suggest that you read a little further into those threads about Mini mishaps. It's very little that can't be explained & by that everybody can learn what not to do.

-How circumstances can be on higher altitudes,
-what can happen when you with full trust leave the flying over to an automated mode (like RTH),
-what the effects can be flying in fog/above clouds/in cold weather, when it's to windy.
-How to treat your props/batteries.

And on & on ...

Start with calm days, in open spaces, go slow & low and keep within visual line of sight ... & evolve from there, that will give you confidence.

*EDIT*

Don't skip the thicker user manual ... if you don't know your equipment you've raised the stakes considerably.

Good luck!

I took my Mini up to full UK legal height (400 feet/120 metres) last weekend. No problems whatsoever. I just checked the weather forecast in advance, and took my time on the day. I worked my way up in 20 metre increments checking for signs of wind as I went. In the end there was no noticeable wind, and the Mini performed perfectly.

For me I use UAV Forecast - if it isnt green I just dont fly. I am happy flying out over water at a given height when i have verified it isnt getting blown away first at that height....

Keep an eye on distance and ensure its going where you want and not going away from it....

Use the map if you really get confused ....

Whilst I know it should be kept in VLOS I find its so small that thats not as much of a distance as I would want but still I make sure I know exactly where it is with the map.

watch every youtube video you can on rookie mistakes with drones as well as the drone tests on the mini.

Agree on stopping the flight at 30% battery .... i can forego a few minutes of footage for a safe return.

Its just common sense really and if you are ever unsure just let go of the sticks until you figure it out ..

I use UAV Forecast as well but I've found in my area it tends to sometimes show winds and temps either too high or too low compared to other weather condition services and my own direct observations. I don't rely solely on UAV, especially when it's borderline between good and not good to fly.

Marvic Mini
But to my questions on Mini fly aways every body saying Minis fault
How high were they flying
How far away
How strong was the wind
Don't be scared! It's a great bit of kit and most crashes or blow aways are indeed down to the pilot's lack of awareness.
Maybe this video will build the confidence again :)

Ian

For me I use UAV Forecast - if it isnt green I just dont fly.

UAV forecast is a just have app, or at least something similar before going out to fly.

Trouble is I’m yet to see a YouTube video ‘tutorial’ that really points out the mini susceptibility to wind.
I have only watched a few, but even a recent ‘Top 10 reasons why people lose their Mavic Mini’ video failed to include wind !!
Must admit I was surprised it wasn’t there, but them the presenter may either not know (frequent forums such as this great one we have here), or just doesn’t want to mention it for $ome rea$on.
All pilots of all UAV aircraft should be proactive with wind so you have far less chance of having to be reactive.

Trouble is I’m yet to see a YouTube video ‘tutorial’ that really points out the mini susceptibility to wind.
I have only watched a few, but even a recent ‘Top 10 reasons why people lose their Mavic Mini’ video failed to include wind !!
Must admit I was surprised it wasn’t there, but them the presenter may either not know (frequent forums such as this great one we have here), or just doesn’t want to mention it for $ome rea$on.
All pilots of all UAV aircraft should be proactive with wind so you have far less chance of having to be reactive.
Maybe watch my video I just linked to then. It's all about wind! :)

Don't be scared! It's a great bit of kit and most crashes or blow aways are indeed down to the pilot's lack of awareness.
Maybe this video will build the confidence again :)

Ian

Great video! I guess it's just not recommended to fly if wind is 15 or above. I also thought about picking up a hand held wind meter. Thanks for the video.

Great video! I guess it's just not recommended to fly if wind is 15 or above. I also thought about picking up a hand held wind meter. Thanks for the video.
i have one of those and to be perfectly honest with you it only gives an indication at ground level,i find it better to use my eyes to get a feel for the wind
look at trees around you ,look at the clouds how fast are they going and if you must fly then just go up in 20 ft stages and see how the drone copes at different heights

As I found out on a couple of different occasions in my RC past,never spend more than you are willing to lose at any given time.
Electronics can fail.Mechanical can fail.Pilots can fail.You can determine take off location and time.You cannot always control when and where landings occur(but it WILL occur).As mentioned above,enjoy the moment.

in every flight i undertake with my UAVs,i am always aware that something could go wrong,but it is important not to let that thought take over your mind set,by maintaining my UAVs and flying them within their capabilities,i can enjoy the experience,and the more i fly the easier it becomes,problems do and will arise during a flight,and with practice you will learn how to deal with them successfully and live to fly another day
It’s actually the same with manned piloting - if I thought of all the things that could potentially go wrong with a C172 every time I took off, I’d never fly.
So the answer is to be sufficiently prepared and trained to deal with an emergency that certain responses become second nature and automatic without having to stop and think what to do. Then, in an emergency, at least one has some chance of handling it successfully.
Nothing changes just because it’s an RPA - other than people’s expectation simply to be able to “buy and fly”, which is totally unrealistic and rather irresponsible. Get the training, do the practice, learn the material, pass the exams, fly safely and responsibly.

i have one of those and to be perfectly honest with you it only gives an indication at ground level,i find it better to use my eyes to get a feel for the wind
look at trees around you ,look at the clouds how fast are they going and if you must fly then just go up in 20 ft stages and see how the drone copes at different heights
Very true. The wind speed right on the ground is so much slower than even 20 feet up that the hand-held anemometers really are for the most basic indication. Tops of trees are always my best bet...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato