DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bluetooth GPS for wifi only iPad Mini 2

Reactions
I am still preparing for my maiden flight. I have a wifi only iPad Mini 2, that I wish to dedicate to my Mavic.

I read and understand how to cache maps into DjiGO app...but would still like the comfort to know I have GPS for my tablet.

Anyone using or have experience with the Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

It's available on Amazon for a lot less then having to buy a new iPad with GPS.

I think this is what I need, to have a GPS capable iPad Mini 2 (wifi only) unit. Your thoughts?

Thanks

Only buy it if it is guaranteed to work with an Ipad. I've bluetooth GPS dongles that work fine with android phones or windows laptops but won't connect to my ipad mini 2!
Do you have a mobile phone? I just set mine up as a mobile hotspot, link the ipad to it and GPS works fine.

Anyone using or have experience with the Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver?
I don't own one, but it will work with your iPad. Check out the reviews here on Amazon. Many people mention using it with various iPads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fly4grub
I have also stumbled on a different unit...Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro...that specifically states it will work with iOS devices.

I can get it with a small pouch, and just leave it hooked tommy belt loop.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Anthonyk
If interested, I have a list of commonly used GPS receivers here.

I was under the impression that the iPad mini 2 had built in gps shouldn't have anything to do with data service or cell towers.

My original iPad simply named iPad is wifi only and has gps.

I could very well be wrong just seems odd they took a feature away in a later model.

Only the Ipads with cellular have GPS. But even the wifi only are **** good on finding were they are using wifi networks in the neighbourhood (really spooky).

I use a bad elf GPS for mine and can confirm it´s working with that. It´s a really good GPS which often gives me 1.5-3 meters deviation.

But a GPS is not needed to fly the mavic if you are not in the wilderness.

It will by it´s own get the starting point, and if you have downloaded the maps from the neighbourhood you are good to go. No GPS needed in the ipad for that.

I ordered the Bad Elf 2200 tonight. I appreciate the thoughts of how easy it is to cache the maps of the area you plan to fly...and maybe someday I will regret this purchase because it makes no difference.

But for now...I will have an iPad with GPS. That will make me feel a little calmer when flying.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Only buy it if it is guaranteed to work with an Ipad. I've bluetooth GPS dongles that work fine with android phones or windows laptops but won't connect to my ipad mini 2!
Do you have a mobile phone? I just set mine up as a mobile hotspot, link the ipad to it and GPS works fine.

Are you sure you can ? Means that you can set up a new home point and use the follow me ??

Reactions: newguy
Garmin Glo are reasonably priced and apparently offer better GPS capabilities than a Cell Phone

Garmin Glo are reasonably priced and apparently offer better GPS capabilities than a Cell Phone

Ok but what about this app ?
386915967360c0b68d609a78cb234433.jpg

I was waiting for someone else to test, as I have a Garmin Glo, I don’t see the need to spend 7 CHF on an app that I will never use.

Ok thanks ! Because the cellular one is very expensive... just for GPS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d