DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bluetooth!

Aussat

Reactions
Do I feel like an idiot!
Traveled around 100 K's today as I wanted to get some footage of around a bay and river, weather wasn't that great in the end but I thought what the heck, stopped and got fish and chips to eat on the banks while I wait for the weather to get better.....
Break in the weather so off I trotted with controller, pone and Mavic in hand, got all turned on and oh bugger controller wont play ball kept telling me to connect to Mavic, checked many times and no go... Grrr

Got home and discovered I had turned off Bluetooth the day before, Don't ask why, feel like a idiot, only just got the Mavic so that's my excuse :)

Just make sure people that if you have an error check your Bluetooth is on! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Lionfish and Gindra
I don't believe the connection between AC and RC is bluetooth dependant
It's probably better to have bluetooth off as it uses the phone battery up.

Reactions: Lionfish
You have not told us what Mavic you are flying, and have also mentioned "controller, p[h]one and Mavic " when posting in the 'DJI Smart Controller' Forum.
Give us a bit more info - but - I'm not aware of a Mavic model that needs Bluetooth enabled on your phone to fly. It is possible to make a WiFi connection directly between some Mavic models and your phone (to use the phone as a basic controller), and non-Ocusync Mavics use WiFi between the controller and the drone - but Bluetooth? - No ...
I regularly fly my Mavic Pro with Bluetooth and WiFi turned off on the phone I have connected to my controller - as it reduces the drain on my phone battery.

Reactions: Lionfish
Ok sorry about that.... I have the Mavic 2 Pro with standard controller that came with it.
Now I feel even more of an idiot... Since you guys have posted I have looked further and found I had both Bluetooth and WiFi off... Yes WiFi not sure how I got confused but guess being all new to this it did help. Now I have Bluetooth off and WiFi on and all is well.
I actually wasn't asking for help as I thought I was posting to remind others to check if they have the same problem, goes to show you shouldn't assume you know not that I did think that but rather when I put Bluetooth on I also put WiFi on and of course it connected so I thought Bluetooth being the problem.
This will teach me for sure. Sorry for any confusion and thanks to those who have posted replies it is very much appreciated and I also thank the group as I have seen in other groups people would have shot me down big time so hats off to you all. It's nice to see this hobby is civilized.
Oh I'm also using the Samsung S7 edge phone.

Reactions: Lionfish and Gindra
Ok sorry about that.... I have the Mavic 2 Pro with standard controller that came with it.
Now I feel even more of an idiot... Since you guys have posted I have looked further and found I had both Bluetooth and WiFi off... Yes WiFi not sure how I got confused but guess being all new to this it did help. Now I have Bluetooth off and WiFi on and all is well.
I actually wasn't asking for help as I thought I was posting to remind others to check if they have the same problem, goes to show you shouldn't assume you know not that I did think that but rather when I put Bluetooth on I also put WiFi on and of course it connected so I thought Bluetooth being the problem.
This will teach me for sure. Sorry for any confusion and thanks to those who have posted replies it is very much appreciated and I also thank the group as I have seen in other groups people would have shot me down big time so hats off to you all. It's nice to see this hobby is civilized.
Oh I'm also using the Samsung S7 edge phone.
Thanks for the clarification. But - you don't need WiFi on at your Samsung to fly the M2P. Your Samsung should 'hardware' connect to the RC controller and it's the controller that has the RF (radio frequency) connection to the M2P ... If you are having connection problems between your Samsung and the controller, it's more likely to be a problem with the short DJI supplied cable that goes from the data port on the left side of the controller. You'll get much better reliability, if you get rid of that cable completely, and buy a USB data cable that goes from the USB2.0 port in the base of the controller.
IMG_20181124_095144.jpg
Two cautions with this ...
1) be very careful putting a micro-USB plug into the side port of the controller to charge it - as plugging a standard micro-USB B plug into it the wrong way around will break the connector in the controller and prevent it being charged. I use a reversible micro-USB cable to prevent this.
2) If you leave the DJI supplied short cable in the side port when you use a USB2.0 data cable, it will block the data cable and stop it working.

you don't need WIFI either to fly the drone, controller and phone are connected by cable, unless your flying with the phone only, and then you would have limited range. reading the manual and understanding everything would be a good idea before flying, this aint a open the box and go play toy, its a heavy lump to go crashing into people or property. and very easy to lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussat
How were the fush and chups
?

Last edited:
  • Haha
?, was that supposed to be how WERE the fush and chups and not how WHERE the fush and chups by any chance,❓

It's supposed to be where ;)

The "how to dad" channel is great

Last edited:
Why oh why did you have to mention sitting at the beach eating fish +chips !! , it’s lunchtime here in Alberta and there ain’t no fish +chips , not much in the way of beaches either .
Now all I can think of is fish+ chips!!.

Please keep to the point in these posts we don’t need any extraneous info especially when it’s food related , especially when fish +chips are mentioned.

Sorry , I used to live on the west coast of Scotland before emigrating to Canada twenty something years ago , and the aforementioned fish +chips on the beach is still the thing I miss the most , well I’m off flying now to get f+c out of my mind at least for twenty mins or so .

• Haha
me too, before I moved to Sweden 14 years ago I used to drive from London down to Folkstone just to get some, best place ever I found, straight out the sea and into the deep fryer, can smell it now.

• Haha
Thanks for the clarification. But - you don't need WiFi on at your Samsung to fly the M2P. Your Samsung should 'hardware' connect to the RC controller and it's the controller that has the RF (radio frequency) connection to the M2P ... If you are having connection problems between your Samsung and the controller, it's more likely to be a problem with the short DJI supplied cable that goes from the data port on the left side of the controller. You'll get much better reliability, if you get rid of that cable completely, and buy a USB data cable that goes from the USB2.0 port in the base of the controller.
View attachment 106104
Two cautions with this ...
1) be very careful putting a micro-USB plug into the side port of the controller to charge it - as plugging a standard micro-USB B plug into it the wrong way around will break the connector in the controller and prevent it being charged. I use a reversible micro-USB cable to prevent this.
2) If you leave the DJI supplied short cable in the side port when you use a USB2.0 data cable, it will block the data cable and stop it working.

Thanks for that, I like the USB connection far better as these micro connections are terrible and nothing but problems with my phone for some reason, Is there a place you recommend as your lead is nice and short :) I tried again with the DJI lead and it wont connect unless I hold it in it's the phone I suspect but I tried a data cable from my phone and it worked 100% so will go for this connection.
Thanks again, appreciated.

you don't need WIFI either to fly the drone, controller and phone are connected by cable, unless your flying with the phone only, and then you would have limited range. reading the manual and understanding everything would be a good idea before flying, this aint a open the box and go play toy, its a heavy lump to go crashing into people or property. and very easy to lose.

Thanks for the comments, Yes I took it for a short spin at only a few feet as I wanted to make sure everything was working from new. Trust me I realise it's not a toy! At $2500 I certainly wouldn't class this as a toy. Last thing I want to do is destroy people or belongings hence why I like to put it out there for comments..... Suck in all the experts knowledge like a sponge....... :D

Thanks for that, I like the USB connection far better as these micro connections are terrible and nothing but problems with my phone for some reason, Is there a place you recommend as your lead is nice and short :) I tried again with the DJI lead and it wont connect unless I hold it in it's the phone I suspect but I tried a data cable from my phone and it worked 100% so will go for this connection.
Thanks again, appreciated.
I got my cable through Amazon.co.uk ... It just has to be a cable that will support data transmission (most will, but occasionally you get a 'charging' cable), with the USB2.0 plug on one end, and whatever USB plug your Samsung has (I think it's USB-C isn't it??). At a pinch, the charging cable you got with your Samsung phone, should do the job - but you are right, the cable shown is 27cm long and a perfect length for the job ...
As an aside - as a Kiwi living in the UK, I'm enjoying the way this thread has gone!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS