DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bought my first Mavic Pro

UBCNME

Reactions
Hey guys I bought my first Mavic Pro. I got it second hand from Craigslist. It was a fly more combo deal and included an I pad mini 3. The person was selling it for. $1300 for everything so it was a deal not to pass up. He told me it's ready to fly. Also he told me that's it's modded but I never knew what he meant. I was just glad I scored a good deal. So today is gonna be my first time flying it. I went a park near by my house to fly. I Set it up and flew it in the air. Man this thing flys and sports mode it really goes. I topped at 53mph. As I was enjoying flying my Mavic some dude came up to me and said how come yours can fly here and mines won't let me cause it's a restricted zone because it's near a prison he told me. He had a Phantom Pro 4 and can't even take off here.. He told me is yours is modified and I told him I got it off Craigslist used. Is something wrong with my Mavic that it flys in a restricted zone. Im worried now I bought this....

Reactions: Fg8or
maybe it was made to help peoples to get out this prison ? haha
I don't know why but usually you can ask to have access to restricted areas directly from the app. It's weird that you didn't had to do it...

Reactions: Drone Master
What version of the app is on the mini? And also, what firmware does the mav have on it now?
That could possibly explain some of these things with restriction or no restriction.

So I called the guy up lucky he answered his phone. I asked why my Mavic can fly in a restricted zone. He said that the the firmware perameteres have been changed so like the NFZ, Altitude, speed and other were modified. The firmware in the Mavic he said was 400 and. It has no issues with anything. He said it's up to me if I want to upgrade the firmware and all those settings will be stock.

Reactions: mkdive
So I called the guy up lucky he answered his phone. I asked why my Mavic can fly in a restricted zone. He said that the the firmware perameteres have been changed so like the NFZ, Altitude, speed and other were modified. The firmware in the Mavic he said was 400 and. It has no issues with anything. He said it's up to me if I want to upgrade the firmware and all those settings will be stock.

Enjoy the freedom.

Well, it is totally up to you, but if you want to abide by the rules, then upgrade.
If you want the freedom, then, well you know.
Mods like these are not discussed here on this forum as it will lead to the thread being deleted. It is against the forum rules and guidelines when you signed up.
Good luck either way, but I would suggest you abide by the laws and rules of our sky's.
Happy flying. :cool:

Yeah im gonna upgraded to the newest firmware. I don't wanna get in trouble with the law. It's better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I just finished upgrading my Mavic. Man it took awhile, couple of times it failed but now im on the newest firmware the 900. I don't regret I just wanna follow the law and have no problems with my drone...

Hopefully he won't suffer the frustrations of upgrading.
Agreed, but looks like he's up to date with 0900.
However, now the real headache starts with NFZ's.
Pop ups, NFZ warnings, wind warnings, and the list goes on.
It's better to be safe than sorry before you fly, that is if you have about 5 minutes of battery to spare. Don't get me started about unlocking NFZ's when there is none!
Sorry, Just ranting. Lol,:eek:

Reactions: mkdive and UBCNME
You did WHAT.?

........................Once you upgrade you can't roll it back
struggles just got real my friend.
.................................................... Welcome to our world
.let us know if you Need help.................
.never fly with less then 20% battery
loss of signal RTH not hover or landing
..................C

Reactions: UBCNME
If it was ME, I would just download the B4-YOU-FLY app, or some other app that shows you where the No Fly Zones are, and then *I* could decide for myself where I can fly to remain legal.

You just took a winning lottery ticket and flushed it down the toilet, by upgrading your firmware, in my opinion, unfortunately. The first time you take your mavic on a fantastic vacation to get some awesome footage and find you can't even launch it, you will really regret that decision. Or it might happen if you just visit a nearby friend... or Canada. (This just happened to me in Mexico.) Firmware .400 was greatness. I wish I could go back to it.

Just my .02 cents.

FW 400, you don't need permission from DJI to fly.
But, oh well! now you have airplane mode....enjoy!

If it was ME, I would just download the B4-YOU-FLY app, or some other app that shows you where the No Fly Zones are, and then *I* could decide for myself where I can fly to remain legal.

You just took a winning lottery ticket and flushed it down the toilet, by upgrading your firmware, in my opinion, unfortunately. The first time you take your mavic on a fantastic vacation to get some awesome footage and find you can't even launch it, you will really regret that decision. Or it might happen if you just visit a nearby friend... or Canada. (This just happened to me in Mexico.) Firmware .400 was greatness. I wish I could go back to it.

Just my .02 cents.
Hey, what's the B4-you-fly app ?
where do you find It please ?

The bird as it was was not breaking the slightest law. It's all how you fly. Looks like the koolaid drinkers scared misinformation into you.

B4UFLY is an android app in the PlayStore - not sure if it's available for IOS or not. But it checks the NFZ's around you if you run it on a GPS enabled device. Totally unassociated with DJI and the Mavic. It will just tell you about the various airspace you and no fly zones.

B4UFLY is an android app in the PlayStore - not sure if it's available for IOS or not. But it checks the NFZ's around you if you run it on a GPS enabled device. Totally unassociated with DJI and the Mavic. It will just tell you about the various airspace you and no fly zones.
thanks !
not available on apple store for now.... :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter