DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boulder Canyon

I really enjoyed the video! I drove on that road last Feb, and I am happy to see it from a different view. Thumbswayup

I am still learning but here are my suggestions for videos that I always keep in mind when shooting videos:
1- use manual setting (60fps, 100 iso, 1/60 shutter speed)
2- use slower movements (the tripod mode will help with this)
3- (if you can) use ND filters (ND8PL would be your best bet).

Thanks! Yes it is a pretty place. Colorado in general is awesome. Unfortunately, a lot of places are no drone zones for various reasons. Still plenty of cool places, but they are a bit of a drive. Especially when trying to hit Golden hour. It makes it hard to practice. I can't just go outside and fly around. There is a regional airport close and lots of low flying aircraft. There is a small park 20 minutes away I can fly at. Just gotta go there and practice. A lot....

I do shoot strictly in manual, 4k 30fps, 100iso, 1/60 (in this video anyhow). I only have ND16 and ND32 that came with the kit I got. I need to get some lower rated ones, and polarized versions. I did change some settings to get slower stick motion. But I haven't dug into tripod and cinematic yet. Or sport for that matter. I can get slow turns but it isn't easy to hold steady in a long turn. 60fps isn't an option in 4k on the Air, but if I do any speed changes in editing, its speeding up. Higher frame rates are more for slowing down. 180 degree rule says at 60fps, shutter should be 1/120 too.

On the backside, I think my editing and color correction is still heavy handed. That is a subtile art on it's own.

Reactions: ThePilot011
@JRL67

It is always fun to see places you frequented in years past. My wife and I were stationed at Lowry AFB in the early eighties and made many weekend visits to that area. The area made for a good day trip or overnight camping excursion.

Thanks for helping realize a dream of flying the canyon along 119!

I am also in the learning phase with video editing and putting together a cohesive video short.

Shooting tips:

Set and lock White Balance.

Use as low of an ISO as possible.

Use ND filters to get shutter speed to 2X the frame rate. Polarizing filters can be good around water, but are most effective at 90 degree angles to the sun.

Fly smooth at whatever speed you are flying. Make camera pans slow to avoid blur, you can always speed up in post processing.

Editing tips:

Tell a story - outline the story, then use short 3 to 10 second clips to present the story.

Make transitions fit the style of presentation. Don’t use abrupt ones in a calm flowing story for scenery, use fades. For action stories use transitions that are abrupt and exciting to match the storyline.

Keep up the good work!!!

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Thanks! It is a beautiful canyon. Happy to bring back some good memories!

I have been shooting still photography forever, I never use full auto mode, shoot in RAW and set color balance in post. I'm trying to apply what I know to drones. I do select the color balance manually on the MA. But the Air doesn't allow aperture changes. And as you say, you really want shutter to be related to frame rate (I think of it as half since it's a fraction. 30fps is 1/30th per frame, 1/60th is half that -but the numbers double. as long as we all know what we mean it's good). Anyhow, I do aim for the 180 degree rule. As I said above, I need a couple more ND filters to round out my set. I always try to shoot as close to native ISO as I can. 180 on my camera, 100 on the MA.

I don't really get the tell a story in this kind of video. I know I need to make better transitions, honestly, I haven't really figured that out in Premier Pro. But, it's a collection of video shot in a certain area. Not really a script of dialog or anything, I see it a lot, so I understand there is something I don't understand... haha

I am working on getting smoother flying. Just need some more practice, getting better at it.

I just want to say that your video was excellent and very enjoyable. I watched it three times. It has inspired me to take a series of short videos in my area and put them together to show the beautiful canyons and mountains near my home.

Reactions: JRL67
Yesterday was one of the nicest weekend days in the Boulder area we've had in quite awhile. I enjoyed the video and can't add much in the way of critiques or advice as your skills are better than mine. Liked the low high speed run over the reservoir!

Yesterday was one of the nicest weekend days in the Boulder area we've had in quite awhile. I enjoyed the video and can't add much in the way of critiques or advice as your skills are better than mine. Liked the low high speed run over the reservoir!

I hope the good weather is here to stay for a while! Thanks! I did speed that up in post.

@JRL67 ,

The pieces of plastic dinnerware are not the most elegant way to keep a steady speed, but it can be very effective.

Make them set lengths for the speed you want to use. Place in the gimbal recess of the right stick to set your pitch, then use the yaw on the left stick to steer.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRL67
@JRL67 ,

The pieces of plastic dinnerware are not the most elegant way to keep a steady speed, but it can be very effective.

Make them set lengths for the speed you want to use. Place in the gimbal recess of the right stick to set your pitch, then use the yaw on the left stick to steer.

Hmm, I will have to give it a shot. I need to give cinematic and tripod modes a shot too. And just get better!

Thanks for the video. It's nice to see the canyon and Eldora again! My son went to U of C Bolder, last time we were there was 2004.

Hmm, I will have to give it a shot. I need to give cinematic and tripod modes a shot too. And just get better!

I wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your video. I posted the tips in an earlier post as you requested critique. Like you I have been a still photographer for many years and I also work with raw files as most JPG’s are over processed.

I am still learning cinematic flight and post processing myself, and still have a long way to go.

The device that the thread is about just recently went live for the Yuneec ST-16/16S controller. You can contact the inventor on his website copperdawg.com or on YuneecPilots.com (Ty Pilot). He may be able to do a custom that would fit your controller. It is very good for easing the task of doing cinematic flight.

Makes me wishI had a drone when I was in Nederland last September. Great video. I like that the lost part of the clip was, IIRC, Boulder Falls. Hadn't been there in 25+ years. The scenery there is so much better than here in Ohio.

I wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your video. I posted the tips in an earlier post as you requested critique. Like you I have been a still photographer for many years and I also work with raw files as most JPG’s are over processed.

I am still learning cinematic flight and post processing myself, and still have a long way to go.

The device that the thread is about just recently went live for the Yuneec ST-16/16S controller. You can contact the inventor on his website copperdawg.com or on YuneecPilots.com (Ty Pilot). He may be able to do a custom that would fit your controller. It is very good for easing the task of doing cinematic flight.

Thanks much! I always appreciate feedback! I think the Steady Drive is a great idea and I will reach out about getting one done for the MA at some point. I think it's probably a more advanced tool as he says in his video. I am still making simple mistakes and letting go of the controls has saved me a couple times already. Once I am more natural flying and more confident, I can see it being very helpful. I fly often, so hopefully that won't take too long.

Makes me wishI had a drone when I was in Nederland last September. Great video. I like that the lost part of the clip was, IIRC, Boulder Falls. Hadn't been there in 25+ years. The scenery there is so much better than here in Ohio.

Yes, the last clip was Boulder Falls. I noted on my YouTube description that little nook the falls is in, is a no drone zone. I shot that clip on my phone. I do try to respect the restrictions when I am aware of them. They do have it posted near the entrance.

I grew up in Marietta, Ohio and lived in Columbus for a year or so. It ain't Colorado, sure. But southern Ohio has it's own uniqueness. Hocking Hills isn't far away, I recall that having some great scenery. Old Man's Cave, Cedar Falls. Not sure about restrictions there, though. I just visited last month and did a tour of old covered bridges. I was wishing then I had a drone. Old Mail Pouch barns.. Barges on the Ohio river.. Old dams/locks on the Muskingum river. Wayne National Forrest.. I will be bringing my drone back when I visit again.

I'll gave to go covered bridge hunting this summer. The Hocking Hills are nice. Haven't been down there since I got a drone. The state parks here do not strictly ban them, but leave it up the the person(s) in charge of the particular park.

I'm the opposite - I grew up in Colorado (Arvada). Hope to get out to the Cripple Creek area this summer/fall.

Thanks much! I always appreciate feedback! I think the Steady Drive is a great idea and I will reach out about getting one done for the MA at some point. I think it's probably a more advanced tool as he says in his video. I am still making simple mistakes and letting go of the controls has saved me a couple times already. Once I am more natural flying and more confident, I can see it being very helpful. I fly often, so hopefully that won't take too long.

The Steady Drive comes off as fast as you can release the sticks essentially. I used the prototype back in February after only flying my TH Pro about six times. It was really neat not having to mess with the right stick and just guide using the yaw. Makes for very cinematic flying. It has had some improvements since then and is even more useful than the version I had experience with. I’m heading back to Michigan after wintering in Florida and will be ordering mine as soon as I get there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk