DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic 2 Zoom getting "Gimbal Overload" error

Thinking about heading out for a quick test-flight soon. Just created another thread to make sure I have the sequence down 100% first. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Chances are I'm over-thinking but better to be too prepared than not enough.

Thread deleted?

Reactions: wisco_pilot
My hardest experience flying the Zoom is orientation when the drone is headed back to me. While moving away, the drone mimics or mirrors the stick movements. When flying back toward me, those movements are reversed and I find it a bit confusing. Practice in nice, wide open spaces. Enjoy the NEW AND WORKING Zoom.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
My hardest experience flying the Zoom is orientation when the drone is headed back to me. While moving away, the drone mimics or mirrors the stick movements. When flying back toward me, those movements are reversed and I find it a bit confusing. Practice in nice, wide open spaces. Enjoy the NEW AND WORKING Zoom.

This is why I use the video feed while fly back. I do occasionally look up from the controller after pausing the flyback to just VLOS the drone and make sure it's not near anything

Reactions: pelagic_one
Camera points forward after power on cycle. Does not flop around.
Nuding the camera slightly does nothing, still get the error.
Two flights today both around 45 seconds. First flight error came up quickly. Second flight was 30 seconds in.
Power cycling does nothing to correct the error.
Using iPhone 8 iOS 13.3.1 with latest DJI Go 4 app 4.3.32 (4342).
If you have a ND filter on check to make sure it's on correct . My Mavic Pro did this and it was the ND filter not put on square

If you have a ND filter on check to make sure it's on correct . My Mavic Pro did this and it was the ND filter not put on square

Thanks I will keep that in mind. In my case it was a defective unit out of the box. Replacement unit did not show the same problems and I am fully working now. Cheers.

Reactions: Thomas B
Simple solution. When Landing land with drone facing forward. All controls will work the same. Right is right left is left. I realize many may frown on this but it’s a simple way not to screw up a landing. Especially in a right place. The second it take you to remember left is now right when landing can easily create a crash.

Flying out and back never a problem as long as I have video feed. But I always flip around and land backwards drone facing forward as on take off.

Paul C

Reactions: Camino Ken
I also have a beserk gimbal. Moves in both directions when first powering up [like it's calibrating], then just points down and to one side. Camera works just fine. I've calibrated the UML and compass. The gimbal moves freely in all directions.

I can't find the gimbal calibrations or any gimbal settings on my smart controller. Previously, they showed on my remote controller, that I sold.

Maybe you can just exchange it at Best Buy.
That’s what I did. When I first bought my drone I had a gimbal overload come on every now and then. The camera would not go up and down as it should. I just took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it problem solved. This is why I like buying from Best Buy no hassle.

Best Buy now charges a 15% restocking fee even for exchanges. Sorry not losing 15% on day one for a defective unit. But thanks for the ideas.
That is incorrect. The only time they charge you 15% restocking fee If you return it and it has been opened. I’m a exchange you were not charged anything. At least I wasn’t when I exchanged mine.

Thanks I will keep that in mind. In my case it was a defective unit out of the box. Replacement unit did not show the same problems and I am fully working now. Cheers.
Glad the exchange went well, much faster resolution than dealing with DJI (my experience is 2-3wks, but I live 30mi away from DJI Cerritos). I bought a Mavic Pro a couple years ago and also got the refresh. 4 months later it developed the same "gimbal overload" error. Nothing physical happened to the drone, I just pulled it out to fly one day, and got the error. I never liked the Mavic Pro, I always thought the gimbal was feeble, and camera lens was sub-par quality. Anyway, I sent it to DJI for warranty repair and they sent me a new drone (no refurb). The hassle I had with DJI was they attempted to charge me a refresh fee, because they looked up my information and saw I had a refresh policy. I had to elevate the situation two levels before I found someone with a brain to realize it should be covered under warranty at no cost. I will never buy another refresh policy because of this hassle, and no apology for the mistake.

My M2Z has been flawless. The gimbal looks way more robust, vs. the MP. I'm surprised you had an issue with it, but noted. I really like the 2X zoom, especially for capturing animals, mitigating noise that can scare animals, lower noise by being farther away. Although I intended to buy the M2P (money wasn't the issue), I opted for the M2Z because the M2P didn't support 4K@60FPS. Being use to 4K@60FPS with my P4P, I was very disappointed, so I opted for trying the M2Z, and I'm glad I did. It produces some nice 4K video. I know the 1" sensor on the M2P would have better video quality, like my P4P produces, so maybe the M3P will support 4K@60FPS. I think the 60FPS is a heat issue, with the 1" sensor in such a small package.

Last edited:
Reactions: wisco_pilot
Perhaps you placed the drone on long grass? Grass can cause this. If not the case, please ignore, no need to reply.

Reactions: E90RAW
I also have a beserk gimbal. Moves in both directions when first powering up [like it's calibrating], then just points down and to one side. Camera works just fine. I've calibrated the UML and compass. The gimbal moves freely in all directions.

I can't find the gimbal calibrations or any gimbal settings on my smart controller. Previously, they showed on my remote controller, that I sold.
Likewise, Bought mine from Best Buy, they exchanged it promptly.

Reactions: E90RAW
Just purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom yesterday. Updated all firmwares, read all manuals, and on my first test flight I am getting "Gimbal Overload" error.

Confirmed the gimbal clamp/cover is removed properly. Tried powering down drone, controller, app, then restarting all in reverse order (app first, controller, drone). Tried doing a gimbal calibration and it gets stuck bouncing between 80-89%.

Suggestions on how to get this fixed immediately? Thank you.
Had the same thing happen on my new M2Z. Updating the software on my SC seemed to resolve the issue. I did contact DJI and that was their recommendation. Also, I had this happen (same drone) in the air. The picture was "bouncy". I had to land as the drone seemed to be acting funny.(or just looked like it was via the video feed).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.