DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic 2 Zoom getting "Gimbal Overload" error

wisco_pilot

Reactions
Just purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom yesterday. Updated all firmwares, read all manuals, and on my first test flight I am getting "Gimbal Overload" error.

Confirmed the gimbal clamp/cover is removed properly. Tried powering down drone, controller, app, then restarting all in reverse order (app first, controller, drone). Tried doing a gimbal calibration and it gets stuck bouncing between 80-89%.

Suggestions on how to get this fixed immediately? Thank you.

Reactions: E90RAW
Yes, all stickers removed along with any other protective packaging. Have read everything in manuals multiple times being very careful. Issue happened immediately.

There was one hidden clear sticker on my gimbal I didn't see until the camera was rotated down and sideways, just double check. I didn't even notice it was there until I had already flown my M2P at least 5 times. Obviously it didn't cause me to get a gimbal error, but who knows maybe I got lucky.

Other than that it sounds like your gimbal maybe defective / doa and need a return.

I'm not an expert here and maybe others can give you advice, but as you may have guessed you should not be getting that much problems right out of the box...

Reactions: E90RAW and TriadX1
Also - you will get gimbal error if the gimbal encounters any resistance, usually. It might be obvious, but make sure the legs are extended and the drone is on a flat surface before powering it on, if you power it on while it's on a carpet it maybe sinking into the carpet and camera is touching the carpet.

Is you drone new or preowned?
If you’re still having the problem and it’s new I’d recommend contacting DJI.

Reactions: JAW
Thanks for trying to be helpful but all stickers are removed, I have only hard floors in my house, and the error happened outside on perfectly flat hard ground. Gimbal calibration hanging up seems like a problem of the hardware or maybe the app itself, not sure. Either way this shouldn't happen on a brand new drone (less than 24 hours since purchase from Best Buy). Contacting DJI Support now, quite disappointing.

Thanks for trying to be helpful but all stickers are removed, I have only hard floors in my house, and the error happened outside on perfectly flat hard ground. Gimbal calibration hanging up seems like a problem of the hardware or maybe the app itself, not sure. Either way this shouldn't happen on a brand new drone (less than 24 hours since purchase from Best Buy). Contacting DJI Support now, quite disappointing.
Maybe you can just exchange it at Best Buy.

Best Buy now charges a 15% restocking fee even for exchanges. Sorry not losing 15% on day one for a defective unit. But thanks for the ideas.

That's BS (at them not you). If they sell a defective product they have to take it back and not charge you money. I would be sure to not leave their store until they took it back. Did you use a credit card? You could try a charge back.

try to raise the drone up on a book or something but leave the gibel overhanging then try. and fit some leg extenders

That's BS (at them not you). If they sell a defective product they have to take it back and not charge you money. I would be sure to not leave their store until they took it back. Did you use a credit card? You could try a charge back.

They make you sign at checkout that you acknowledge the 15% policy, no exceptions. Not doing charge-backs, it's not Best Buy's fault as far as I can tell. That will only cause me more problems at this point.

try to raise the drone up on a book or something but leave the gibel overhanging then try. and fit some leg extenders

Yeah no I'm not putting leg extenders on a day one broken drone. If it doesn't work as designed they need to correct it. Waiting to see what DJI support tells me tomorrow.

I meant just raise the drone to give the gimbal more space to move

The gimbal can move 100% freely on my hard floor right now, I see no reason to raise it up on books. Clearance issues are not the problem. Gimbal & camera spin around as I would expect on device startup.

When first powered on prior to the firmware upgrade did it calibrate the gimbal properly?

When I first powered on & connected everything the first time it immediately wanted to run firmware upgrades so I can't answer that question with any accuracy.

They make you sign at checkout that you acknowledge the 15% policy, no exceptions. Not doing charge-backs, it's not Best Buy's fault as far as I can tell. That will only cause me more problems at this point.

Yeah no I'm not putting leg extenders on a day one broken drone. If it doesn't work as designed they need to correct it. Waiting to see what DJI support tells me tomorrow.

Wow, remind me never to shop there. They actually closed down 3 best buy stores here recently. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess. Bankruptcy incoming I foresee.

It may very well be their fault, who knows. Gimbal is very delicate, if some Best Buy stock boy threw the box around it could have done it.

Or maybe it did come defective from the factory. We can only really speculate at this point.

Either way, I hope DJI helps you out. It should be covered under warranty at the very least, but this should not be a warranty issue.

The gimbal can move 100% freely on my hard floor right now, I see no reason to raise it up on books. Clearance issues are not the problem. Gimbal & camera spin around as I would expect on device startup.

When I first powered on & connected everything the first time it immediately wanted to run firmware upgrades so I can't answer that question with any accuracy.

Gimbal moving around on startup is a good sign. Does the camera point forward after it does its movement, or does it flop around? Does nudging the camera around (slightly) after it has finished booting up, and then powering off and on the drone again help?

Also are you using the app in your phone or the smart controller?

Gimbal moving around on startup is a good sign. Does the camera point forward after it does its movement, or does it flop around? Does nudging the camera around (slightly) after it has finished booting up, and then powering off and on the drone again help?

Also are you using the app in your phone or the smart controller?

Camera points forward after power on cycle. Does not flop around.
Nuding the camera slightly does nothing, still get the error.
Two flights today both around 45 seconds. First flight error came up quickly. Second flight was 30 seconds in.
Power cycling does nothing to correct the error.
Using iPhone 8 iOS 13.3.1 with latest DJI Go 4 app 4.3.32 (4342).

Camera points forward after power on cycle. Does not flop around.
Nuding the camera slightly does nothing, still get the error.
Two flights today both around 45 seconds. First flight error came up quickly. Second flight was 30 seconds in.
Power cycling does nothing to correct the error.
Using iPhone 8 iOS 13.3.1 with latest DJI Go 4 app 4.3.32 (4342).

You could try deleting and installing the Go app again to rule out any software issue, but I doubt it.

Really sounds like the gimbal is defective (possible loose mounting bracket or loose ribbon cable), or gimbal could be dirty inside but doubtful for a new drone.

Try holding the drone sideways and wait for the gimbal to restart. It will go through the motions of testing its full range of motion, after which the gimbal may function normally. This trick worked with the original mavic pro, maybe it will work here too.

Other than that, let us know what DJI says.

Reactions: E90RAW and Gindra
It seems to me that the original calibration worked or you would not have the option to install new firmware. I cant imagine they would allow you to install new firmware on a unit that is not operational. This message you get is it on the controller screen or in the app? Does the gimbal go through a series of movements then return to a flat, horizontal position. Have you tried the gimbal calibration again?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31