DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic 2 Zoom getting "Gimbal Overload" error

I meant just raise the drone to give the gimbal more space to move

I think his point being is, he really shouldn't need to do this, if he does then there's clearly something defective with the drone.

Get in touch with DJI OP, it still has its warranty and this sounds to be a warranty issue, hoping you get it sorted soon.

Last edited:
I think his point being is, he really shouldn't need to do this, if he does then there's clearly something defective with the drone.
I agree he shouldn't have to do it but its worth trying, who knows it may sort the problem out, or it may not

Based on his last post, it seems sometimes the gimbal overload doesn't occur until he's in the air, ruling out any ground obstruction.

Camera points forward after power on cycle. Does not flop around.
Nuding the camera slightly does nothing, still get the error.
Two flights today both around 45 seconds. First flight error came up quickly. Second flight was 30 seconds in.
Power cycling does nothing to correct the error.
Using iPhone 8 iOS 13.3.1 with latest DJI Go 4 app 4.3.32 (4342).

Just purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom yesterday. Updated all firmwares, read all manuals, and on my first test flight I am getting "Gimbal Overload" error.

Confirmed the gimbal clamp/cover is removed properly. Tried powering down drone, controller, app, then restarting all in reverse order (app first, controller, drone). Tried doing a gimbal calibration and it gets stuck bouncing between 80-89%.

Suggestions on how to get this fixed immediately? Thank you.
Hello,

You seem to have everything correctly by reading the manuals and updating firmware. From your description, it does sound like a hardware failure. As such, I would recommend exchanging it at Best Buy instead of dealing with DJI, because DJI can (and most likely will) replace it with a refurb unit. An Exchange at Best Buy will get you another bran new unit. Not to mention all of the extra time you will need in order to work through the issue with DJI.

IMPORTANT: There is a big difference between an exchange and a return. The restocking fee is for returns only, and not for defective product exchanges. If you exchange a defective item, there is no fee. If there were a fee, I think they would be in some serious legal trouble.

Hello,

IMPORTANT: There is a big difference between an exchange and a return. The restocking fee is for returns only, and not for defective product exchanges. If you exchange a defective item, there is no fee. If there were a fee, I think they would be in some serious legal trouble.

That is a breath of fresh air. Thank you for clarifying that, on behalf of the OP.

I didnt think it sounded right that Best Buy could get away with selling a defective product and then charging you 15% to take it back.

Could you imagine buying a $6,000 72 inch 4K tv, to get it home and see it doesn't turn on? I would be screaming bloody murder if they made me pay them $900 to exchange it.

Reactions: Thomas B
Here is a video showing the failure:

Have additionally created DJI support request #2652316.

I will check more with Best Buy regarding the exchange. I agree this would be ideal. Also going to see what DJI says if they contact me tomorrow.

Here is a video showing the failure:

Have additionally created DJI support request #2652316.

I will check more with Best Buy regarding the exchange. I agree this would be ideal. Also going to see what DJI says if they contact me tomorrow.

Definitely get Best Buy to exchange it if you can. DJI is not fast, and like the other poster said will more than likely warranty it with a refurb unit. You might be waiting weeks! Definitely not ideal!

@wisco_pilot also looking at your video, I cant tell if it's just really windy, or if the camera is shaking that much! The camera view should be smooth and steady. Unless its very windy something is definitely not right with that gimbal, hardware wise.

Reactions: jzilla80
Winds are gusting today but even to a novice like me the gimbal seems jacked up. Doesn't seem to move correctly and locks up doing the re-calibration.

Edit: after re-watching my own video I think it further confirms a hardware defect. Definitely was not that shaky from the wind. Doesn’t seem like gimbal rotates camera properly on y axis (if that makes sense).

Last edited:
Hello,

<SNIP> I would recommend exchanging it at Best Buy instead of dealing with DJI, because DJI can (and most likely will) replace it with a refurb unit. <SNIP>
Actually, I had a problem with a new M2Z with IMU Alignment and DJI replaced it with a brand new drone. Their processing time was a little less than 3 days after they received it. They paid for shipping both ways.

Probably too late, but to avoid the ridiculous exchange fee, go back to bestbuy (may not be available this route) or online to DJI and buy the DJI Refresh plan (type of insurance prgm - someone correct me if that's not the right name of it, and if any of the info I give is not accurate as I dont have the protection plan myself).

It'll get you a replacement way faster thru DJI and it'll give you a second claim in case you crash and burn the new one you get. (2 replacement claims within 1 yr, whether you broke it or not)

It cost like $130 (which is probably still less than the 15% fee at best buy) and it gives you addl insurance. Keep in mind you must buy it within a very short time of purchase.

Just a thought. However if you've opened a ticket, with your account info and the AC serial number, its probably too late.

Actually, I had a problem with a new M2Z with IMU Alignment and DJI replaced it with a brand new drone. Their processing time was a little less than 3 days after they received it. They paid for shipping both ways.
This is quite hopeful... Definitely not what I wouldve expected! I hope this Corona Virus issue is not a huge factor now?

buy the DJI Refresh plan

I understand that course of thinking, but I am 100% against giving DJI any more of my money until this is corrected. Will post back when DJI responds to my support ticket. Need to give them a chance to make it right and I know they are closed today (also of course COVID-19 right now). Thanks for the feedback though, everyone stay safe, be healthy, and wash your hands.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
Maybe you can just exchange it at Best Buy.
If it were me, after going through all the precautions as you did and it hung up in 3 tries, I would be in the customer service line at Best Buy waiting on a new one providing they had them in stock. If they didn’t I would be placing a order for a new one shipped to the store. But that’s just me...

Reactions: Lbesing and ff22
I understand that course of thinking, but I am 100% against giving DJI any more of my money until this is corrected. Will post back when DJI responds to my support ticket. Need to give them a chance to make it right and I know they are closed today (also of course COVID-19 right now). Thanks for the feedback though, everyone stay safe, be healthy, and wash your hands.

wisco_pilot, I feel your pain and frustration. I purchased a brand new Mini last month and it was totally DOA. It would not pass the preflight check and generated 6 error codes related to the gimble, camera, and circuit board. After contacting DJI support, they emailed me a UPS label (tracking) to return the MM to them in CA. The slooooow ground shipping took 1 week to get the MM to their repair shop and two days for them to examine it. Once they had my MM they were very good in keeping me informed of their progress via email. They finally determined that it would cost $233 to repair the brand new never-flown $400 Mini but would replace it for free since it was under warranty. I got my NEW replacement Mini a week later. From my experience and reading about others having issues with brand NEW DJI drones, it appears that DJI has a very serious quality control problem at their factory. Good luck with your bird.

I was able to take a p4p v2 back to best buy no problems the reason being it was a defective unit. They only care about u just wanting to return it or swap for another model. But like i said taking it back was not a problem i was in and out 5 min and a new p4p v2....so op i would seriously try to do that tell them u just purchased it and it is defective. If u go the dji way u can be waiting a while and most likely will receive a refurbished unit!

Good advice, I would run with this one.

Reactions: wisco_pilot
Called Best Buy main support hotline yesterday (3/16) and was told I can do the in-store exchange without a restocking fee. This conflicted with what I was told during original purchase but maybe the teenager behind the register didn't really know (not his fault - look how confused I am even now!). In any case I was able to visit the store and return it as defective with no questions for another unit. Thanks everyone for your input, this has been exhausting so far.

On a funny note DJI responded to my support ticket asking me to return the unit by opening yet another support ticket. Waiting to reply until the 2nd unit is confirmed functional.

Charging up batteries now. Recording every step on my GoPro to document in case I have another problem. Will share back when I do a test flight - hopefully later this afternoon after work.

Called Best Buy main support hotline yesterday (3/16) and was told I can do the in-store exchange without a restocking fee. This conflicted with what I was told during original purchase but maybe the teenager behind the register didn't really know (not his fault - look how confused I am even now!). In any case I was able to visit the store and return it as defective with no questions for another unit. Thanks everyone for your input, this has been exhausting so far.

On a funny note DJI responded to my support ticket asking me to return the unit by opening yet another support ticket. Waiting to reply until the 2nd unit is confirmed functional.

Charging up batteries now. Recording every step on my GoPro to document in case I have another problem. Will share back when I do a test flight - hopefully later this afternoon after work.

Great news! Can't wait to hear if your new one is working better (I would hope ?)

Reactions: wisco_pilot
Thinking about heading out for a quick test-flight soon. Just created another thread to make sure I have the sequence down 100% first. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Chances are I'm over-thinking but better to be too prepared than not enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King