DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand New Mini won't connect.

Mavic Mania

Reactions
So . . . this is my very first post as I'm a brand new member. Bought the Mini Fly More Bundle on amazon a few days ago for the smoking deal of $399. Charged everything up overnight and after watching several excellent Youtube videos, began the process to initialize my Mini. After several unsuccessful attempts at trying to pair the Drone to the Controller and LG V20 phone, I went to bed. I should add that I had installed a brand new Premium SD Card as well.

I contacted Tech Support (SUPER HELPFUL) and followed their advice. I uploaded the latest Firmware version onto my Netbook and then, using the USB cable, re-loaded the software from the Netbook into both the Mini and the Controller. I then was successful in getting the Drone to start spinning the props by pulling both sticks down and out. I was able to easily fly the drone inside the house, no crashes but . . . I wasn't seeing any video on my phone. I quickly figured out that I was flying the Drone on the Controller not on the phone as I was getting the not connected to RC message on my phone.

Long story short . . . I again contacted Mavic Tech Support (SUPER DUPER HELPFUL) where it was determined to return the Drone for a new one :(

To my surprise . . . I asked the Tech Support guy if they have been seeing a large number of brand new drones with this issue, he replied YES!

I advised him that I had watched a Youtube video where many, many people were having the very same issues, and it didn't seem to matter what phone was being used.

When I first got the Mini to Spin Up after reloading the Firmware I thought . . . That's It! It must have come from the factory with corrupted Firmware installed. But to my dismay . . . it seems this is not the case unless the current version on their website is corrupted in some way.

So sadly . . . I now have to wait over two weeks for a new Mini which may arrive with the same issue. It seems because of the Amazon Prime Day Sale and perhaps the Covid thing going on . . . all Drones are in a backorder status. Perhaps, thousands of these are being sent back for defect. :(

Good info.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Best of luck with your new drone once it arrives.
Thank you so very much Thomas. I'm glad I stumbled upon this wonderful resource, it is set up exactly like the Mercedes SLK Forum I belong to. I'm sure I can learn a lot from the experienced pilots here.

I ordered the Mini fly more combo from DJI directly (using their education discount $449 no tax) on the 12th and it was delivered in my driveway by UPS on the 15th. I was surprised by how quickly it showed up.

Reactions: Mavic Mania
I ordered the Mini fly more combo from DJI directly (using their education discount $449 no tax) on the 12th and it was delivered in my driveway by UPS on the 15th. I was surprised by how quickly it showed up.
Must have been in the country already. Customs often takes 3-7 days IME.

I had to return my first mini to Best Buy because the controller would not connect to my iPhone. I tried a different OTG cable because DJI had a defective batch. I found with mine, that if I would hold the controller in my hand with the stick down and firmly smack it on the back it would then connect to my iPhone and stay connected until it was turned off for a few hours. My replacement mini is working flawlessly.

I'm having the same issue. I downloaded the DJI Fly to my iPhone 7 ver 14.1 and all the programming updating are working fine. I even get a picture through the camera. But it keeps giving me the message that the drone is not connected. I cannot even start up the props.
I took out the sd card and fired everything up again with the same result. I reformatted the sd card and still the drone will not connect to the RC.
I'm thinking about just returning it to Amazon and writing this product off after reading in these forums all the connection issues people are having. It sounds like a very poorly designed product.

Most of us have few RC to app connection issues and it's been out for almost a year.

If there is a problem now, it's probably just a recent bad batch.

Incidentally, these come already bound from the factory. There should not be a need to bind right out of the box.

Most of us have few RC to app connection issues and it's been out for almost a year.

If there is a problem now, it's probably just a recent bad batch.

Incidentally, these come already bound from the factory. There should not be a need to bind right out of the box.
I agree DanMan, it is likely a bad lot of Mini's. I returned my to Amazon and have a replacement Drone arriving on Sunday, hopefully, this new Drone will not have any issues. There are too many Mini's out there successfully flying for me to believe that this is a bad product, it is most likely a breakdown in quality control. Some have stated there were a bad batch of cables, but I don't know if that has definitely been confirmed.

I'm thinking about just returning it to Amazon and writing this product off after reading in these forums all the connection issues people are having.

I’d be surprised if there were as many as 50 individual members here (not just total posts in associated topics) complaining about having connection issues. There must be tens (hundreds?) of thousands of Minis sold worldwide and the forums would be completely overwhelmed with complaints if there were fundamental connection issues with it which could be solely attributed to the DJI hardware. I’m not saying that there isn’t a problem (even though I don’t have one), just that the numbers don’t seem to reflect it if there is.

Some have stated there were a bad batch of cables, but I don't know if that has definitely been confirmed.

It’s easy enough to establish if the cable is the problem by just replacing it with an inexpensive third-party alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMPerrish
I had the same issue and ended up returning it to Amazon. It was replaced in 3 days and the new one works great. Hopefully your new one will be okay also.

Update to my 10/22 post. After getting 5 error messages and a comment "Defective, contact manufacturer", I boxed up the Mavic Mini and sent it back for an exchange. Two days later the replacement arrived. It connected to the RC instantly and I have flown it 3 times now. I am so glad I did not write this drone off. It is awesome. The controls are nice and tight. When you pull back on the right control, the Mini comes to a stop. When you pull back to the middle position on the left control, it stops ascending. I am amazed at how stable the Mini flies. The Mavic Mini is like a $2 - $3 thousand drone in a compact package.
We have been having 10 - 15 mph winds here so I have only taken the Mini up about 100 feet and it holds its own. It drifted ever so slightly (fly into the wind going out/with the wind returning). The pictures and videos are crystal clear, very detailed, and stable.
I am glad I did not write off the mini. This little workhorse is worth every penny. I don't know that there is any drone comparable to this one in its size and class.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3