DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new (one week old) Air2s malfunction while in flight. I didn't find out where it crashed.

• Thread starter Deleted member 146419
  • Start date
I was flying my brand new one week old Air2s yesterday up on a hill taking panoramic video of Athens. Suddenly as i was returning it home manually, it popped out some messages about lost gps signal, about sensors not working, then lost connection with the controller. It must have fell from the sky. I wasn't able to retrieve it. It must have landed on a roof. I went to the area last seen on the map but i wasnt able to find it. I didn't do nothing wrong with the control of the flight. I have 2 year care refresh. I've contacted DJI and i'm waiting what they have to say.... I really hope they send me a new one. I'm so depressed about this....
I am so sorry to hear this happened. I know that awful feeling when you know it crashed and go looking.
mill say I’ve had refresh coverage on one flyaway as rth returning mini 2 to home was in control and aircraft blew into a nearby pine tree high up. Too high. Just this week I’ve had about 20 emails bt me snd dji support appealing them not honoring both the warranty and the refresh policy I have. The defrauded me. The RTH WAS NAVIGATING HOME AND LANDING DLEW FORARD INTO A LARGE SHRUB. Not a small tree limb. It never slowed down even and hit then crashed. Again, the repair was dismissed under warranty although the forward sensors failed. Worse than that I have an unused valid refresh policy paid for which was not honored. Fraud. But no one there even cares to here the details assuming they reply.
hope you have a better experience. This seems warranty covered. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING IN CASE THEY DO NOT HONORVTHAT

Wow! Sorry for your loss. I do hope you find it. Keep us updated

Good luck mate know exactly how you feel when mine went for a walk last year dji did not cover flyaways and mine was a pr0 2.

...as rth returning mini 2 to home was in control and aircraft blew into a nearby pine tree high up
So you had your Mini 2 flying automated in wind speeds it couldn't handle ... and it blew off track.

...It never slowed down even and hit then crashed. Again, the repair was dismissed under warranty although the forward sensors failed.
How can this be anything that should fall under warranty ..? The mini 2 don't have any obstacle detection, and even if it had it wouldn't have made any difference as the Mini 2 was blowing away.

I didnt find it. Checked all the roofs in that area with a friend with air2. It completely lost all sattelites in a blink of an eye. These are the errors from the log file. If it was a bad signal i would be able to get it back. The thing is it lost gps. I think this was just a bad unit and should be replaced under warranty. I will wait to hear what they have to say.

Attachments

• BAD207AB-DF58-42E2-BAA9-C17348F5A7F3.jpeg
    BAD207AB-DF58-42E2-BAA9-C17348F5A7F3.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:
...I'd suggest you go back and read post #17 which explains exactly what happened (and why it happened in the blink of an eye).
There was no malfunction.
There is no way it is a warranty issue.
DJI aren't responsible for people flying their drones into buildings.
Can't seem to be able to verify what you say in post #17 out from the log ...

Instead I see a craft that suddenly loses all GPS count & GPS level & falls back to ATTI mode. One second later the AC loses height rapidly & reaches a astonishing positive Z speed. At the time just before the ATTI mode no excessive AC movements is recorded. The gap in the red flight path below is the ATTI & when the path continues the GPS level is still too low to being able to stabilize the AC ... GPS level 3 is measured as max until just one second before the log ends when it jumps up to 5.

1622127201188.png

So ... the AC reaches a maximum positive Zspeed of 42m/s & the log ends with a height of 175m below the HP ... uncommanded.

1622128028178.png

The stick inputs made can't explain the descent ... (stick value 1024 in the chart is neutral)

1622128278649.png

After ATTI have occurred the AC drifts mainly with the wind (the wind is coming from approx north west) ... and looses height.

Nothing in the AC movements reveal any crash leading to the ATTI mode or rapid descent ... instead the movements confirm a drifting AC.

At 654sec we see the first signs of something hitting the craft, both pitch & roll react excessively but the movement stabilizes later. I guess the AC hit a antenna on one of the roofs there.

1622128245404.png

So yeah ... the RC was still connected, but to a craft that was in a pseudo ATTI/GPS mode with a very low GPS level, & it was descending rapidly uncommanded ... & everything started just after 22 sats & GPS level 5 dropped to 0.

Can't see that this would be a pure pilot error ...

Last edited:
Can't seem to be able to verify what you say in post #17 out from the log ...

Can't see that this would be a pure pilot error ...
Sorry .. my analysis was wrong.
I stared at the wrong numbers for too long and hadn't checked the height relative to the terrain being flown over.
It was a strange incident, with the drone affected by numerous errors affecting different systems including GPS and propulsion.
There was no reason that satellite numbers should have dropped to zero, and no reason that a loss of GPS should cause propulsion problems and loss of height.
The drone went into a powered dive at speeds well beyond specs or freefall speed and there was no spinning or tumbling.

This appears to have been a catastrophic system failure which caused a high speed uncontrollable dive.

You might put up some flyers in the building and offer a reward. I would hope if it is found with your name etc it would be returned.

You might put up some flyers in the building and offer a reward. I would hope if it is found with your name etc it would be returned.
The thing is my friend i dont know where it crashed. It entered ATTI mode i think and when it does that it goes with the wind... It all happened so fast.

Last edited:
Landed? By default the drone would return to home on loss of signal.

If you've lost signal, pushing any buttons won't have any effect.
As the drone would automatically initiate RTH on loss of signal, there's no need to try to do it yourself.
If the drone was returning, and had regained signal, pressing the RTH button would cancel the RTH.
Actually that's false if you lose controller signal they won't, if you lose visual signal the control work. If you push up on the stick when you lose your visual, as nine times out of ten it breaks up way before the controller signal will. Meaning the aircraft will rise amd regain signal avoiding this.gps errors and atti mode the aircraft does not know where home is. How many houses did you fly over as it looks like quite a few. Wouldn't be surprised if you don't get a replacement if the aircraft went into atti mode you won't get a replacement as it's pilot error for environmental conditions aka you shouldnt fly there. Maybe you should check out what a drone and battery failure look like, might change how you fly. Kill someone before you even know what happened and your responsible for it. Maybe buy a cheaper drone until you have enough experience. Good luck

Last edited:
Actually that's false if you lose controller signal they won't, if you lose visual signal the control work. If you push up on the stick when you lose your visual, as nine times out of ten it breaks up way before the controller signal will. Meaning the aircraft will rise amd regain signal avoiding this.gps errors and atti mode the aircraft does not know where home is. How many houses did you fly over as it looks like quite a few. Wouldn't be surprised if you don't get a replacement if the aircraft went into atti mode you won't get a replacement as it's pilot error for environmental conditions aka you shouldnt fly there. Maybe you should check out what a drone and battery failure look like, might change how you fly. Kill someone before you even know what happened and your responsible for it. Maybe buy a cheaper drone until you have enough experience. Good luck
You beleive that what happened is normal for a brand new one week drone? Why shouldn't i get a replacement? What is warranty for? Was it my fault? NO. It went crazy on its own.... THANK GOD I DIDNT HURT ANYONE. I really got my lesson. From now on no more flying above residential areas.

Last edited:
Actually that's false if you lose controller signal they won't, if you lose visual signal the control work. If you push up on the stick when you lose your visual, as nine times out of ten it breaks up way before the controller signal will. Meaning the aircraft will rise amd regain signal avoiding this.
What I wrote was not false.
Compare it with this, straight from the Air 2S manual
Failsafe RTH
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than 6 seconds.

you won't get a replacement as it's pilot error for environmental conditions aka you shouldnt fly there. Maybe you should check out what a drone and battery failure look like, might change how you fly. Kill someone before you even know what happened and your responsible for it. Maybe buy a cheaper drone until you have enough experience.
Maybe you should hold back on your comments until you can properly analyse the flight data to see what actually happened.

DJI just told me that they reviewed my case and that it's a warranty case, and that they will send me a replacement.

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone that helped me with my case and ofcourse to DJI!
What makes a great company is it's after sales support. DJI was very kind through all the process. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Prismatic and Meta4
After sales support? Say it to all user of Mavic Pro, Spark, Air etc.

Listen, in my case i am totally happy about the outcome. Apparently they did a data analysis of the flight and saw that i did nothing wrong. To me, that is after sales support.

Reactions: maelstrom
That sucks. FWIW, I would much rather be climbing all over those buildings than searching the swamp.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d