DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand Newbie Question

RetiredInFL

Very Large Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Aside from the obvious RTFM what would the best steps to take to learn how to fly these things? I have read up on all the rules but my interest is actually learning how to fly.

Haven't even opened the box yet! :D

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 17
Watch some YouTube videos.

Aside from the obvious RTFM what would the best steps to take to learn how to fly these things? I have read up on all the rules but my interest is actually learning how to fly.

Haven't even opened the box yet! :D
Put it in beginner mode and start in a large open field. Stay that way until controls are second nature.

Reactions: pelagic_one
First and most important thing: Take your time.

Do not expect that you will be able to fly and control the drone under all circomstances from the beginning. Though it is not difficult to do simple actions, unecpected things will happen and challenge you. One of the sources for crashes is over-confidence (believe me, I know what I am talking about!). Start on a field, take off, and try basic moves in an altitude of maybe 30 feet (10 meters). Fly forward, then backwards, move left and right and so on.
Confusing in the beginning will be the dronereaction after you mad a 180° yaw. Left for you becomes right for the drone, forward becomes back to you etc. Then get in for higher altitudes and longer distances, make curves and so on untill you reach the distance where you can hardly see the drone.
Also try RTH, just to see what happens. Doing so and seeing the result will give you confidence. Another thing to do (not at the first flight!) is to switch of the controller and see what happens. Is a scary moment if you do so, but it also will give you confidence in what happens when you loose signal.

It all will take time, depending on the weather a few weeks, but it is worth it. Crashing a drone is never fun (if you are the pilot and owner), unless you get payed to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: RetiredInFL
You'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn the basics - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
If there's nothing to hit it's very hard to get into trouble.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.
Never launch or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
If flying in a strong wind situation, never fly away downwind.

Watch some YouTube videos.
As a moderator obviously with great knowledge in this hobby are there specific training videos you can recommend to a newbie like me? Your reply was quite “broad” and probably covers thousands of videos. :)

Thanks
Ed

As a moderator obviously with great knowledge in this hobby are there specific training videos you can recommend to a newbie like me? Your reply was quite “broad” and probably covers thousands of videos. :)

Thanks
Ed
Look into a flight simulator

Basically, like you said read and re-read the manual. You can expect to retain everything, but you will remember I read about that when something pops up, and you will have a better idea of where to find what you need.

As to you tube vids start with vids pertaining to the Go4 app (and it's many settings)
and other things like Return to Home, and other flight modes.

Here's your first:

And another to keep you going..:

Have fun, go slooow, be safe, and all will be good.

Read the manual. Understand the technicalities of the different modes and settings. For example: some pilots have crashed into objects during an RTH because the RTH min altitude was set to low. So a low battery or a loss of control link triggered an emergency RTH and the aircraft tried to fly through some trees on its bee-line home. Also read the Crash and Fly-Away Assistance threads on this website when you have a chance and learn from others mistakes before you make them your self. When you make your first flights do it in an open area, stay close, stay low, go slow. Beginner mode will do his for you.

Thanks
Ed
51 Drones, Ready Set Drone, Ed Ricker and Flytpath are YouTubers to subscribe to to learn. Russ at 51 Drones has a great beginner series. Ed welcome to the group.

Buy yourself a cheep drone (less than $50) and fly the heck out of it. This is a great way to learn how to fly drones. The more expensive drones are relatively easy to fly because they fly themselves, so to speak. The Mavic's are very stable platforms, think flying tripods.

Reactions: Terry63

Thanks
Ed

Honestly, this advice was probably the best, start with unboxing, menus and what to find in them, start your simple flight learning curve.
Flytpath is a great channel (search out Mavic Pro flytpath on YT), but just a general search on youtube will find MANY great vids, terms like Mavic Pro Platinum unboxing . . . Mavic Pro Platinum menu . . . Mavic Pro Platinum first flight, etc.
Billy Kyle is another great tutorial channel.

unboxing -

menus -

first flight -
(one of the ones I first watch a few years ago)

Enjoy, the MPP is a great drone, I use those props on my M1P and it's a dream to fly, so quiet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb