DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brightness/size of a Tripletek for an Air 2s, but closer to 500~600?

karlblessing

Gerbil Charmer Extraordinaire
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
karlblessing.com
Curious if there was a tablet option between the 6" to 8" realm that had similar brighteness/performance to say the Tripletek but closer to $500?

I borrowed a friend's iPad pro 12.9 to see how it would do for flying outside and it's just lovely. But I can't get used to the ios system in general and 12.9 is a bit large even tho the tablet holder I use gave me no problem with it. Definitely bright enough.

Seems the Tripletek wound be the android equivalent to brightness and performance, but 900 is a bit expensive (as would be an ipad pro that I wouldn't hardly use for anything as I don't do ios).

Reactions: RobW01
Curious if there was a tablet option between the 6" to 8" realm that had similar brighteness/performance to say the Tripletek but closer to $500?

I borrowed a friend's iPad pro 12.9 to see how it would do for flying outside and it's just lovely. But I can't get used to the ios system in general and 12.9 is a bit large even tho the tablet holder I use gave me no problem with it. Definitely bright enough.

Seems the Tripletek wound be the android equivalent to brightness and performance, but 900 is a bit expensive (as would be an ipad pro that I wouldn't hardly use for anything as I don't do ios).
The Hugerock-X71 claims similar specs to the Tripltek 7 for $499.

I have been very happy with a Samsung Tab Active3. It has been working well for me down in the bright Arizona sun shine.

I have been very happy with a Samsung Tab Active3. It has been working well for me down in the bright Arizona sun shine.
seems to be at best 430nit on brightness for either the Active 3 or Active 4 Pro, but the price is about right: Buy Samsung Galaxy Tab Active for Business | Samsung Business

The Samsung S7+ I already own would be about the same brightness around 388nit, and that isn't quite bright enough for me. My personal phone is an S22 which can hit 1300nit (iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen seems to be rated for 1000nit, and exhibits less glare than my S7+).

Last edited:
seems to be at best 430nit on brightness for either the Active 3 or Active 4 Pro, but the price is about right: Buy Samsung Galaxy Tab Active for Business | Samsung Business

The Samsung S7+ I already own would be about the same brightness around 388nit, and that isn't quite bright enough for me. My personal phone is an S22 which can hit 1300nit (iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen seems to be rated for 1000nit, and exhibits less glare than my S7+).
Here is a PDF spec sheet for it. And I can send a pic of the display in the sun light tomorrow with the fly app on screen.

Attachments

• Galaxy_Tab_Active3_Datasheet.pdf
    469.5 KB · Views: 14
Here is a PDF spec sheet for it. And I can send a pic of the display in the sun light tomorrow with the fly app on screen.
Oh I see there's a "High Brightness Mode 700 nits" which I guess is what they meant by HBM on the website. Kind of puts it on par with the RC remote I think.

Have the Active3 Enterprise edition coming Monday. Apparently Amazon has the Wifi model from the samsung store at $429 right now (doesn't matter if it's 64GB or 128GB), likewise the LTE model is $529 (again regardless if it's 64GB or 128GB). Went with the wifi since I can always tether to my phone if needed, and for the sake of sharing cached footage I can simply use nearby share between my Samsung devices.

Deciding factors for me after you bought my attention to it :
- Price obviously (429 is cheaper than 800, also cheaper than some of the used prices)
- I'm already in a Samsung ecosystem, so I have familiarity with the flavor of the OS (and likewise how to tone down some of its bloatware).
- The Samsung Active series is guaranteed 5 years of support from Samsung (from Sept 2020 for the Active3), meaning the Active 3 will receive Android 13 and 14, plus 2 years of security updates after that.
- Replaceable battery. If I plan to keep utilizing it for the drones for years to come, I don't want to reach a point where the battery starts losing its ability to keep a charge.
- IP68 rating for both tablet and pen (though that's kind of moot when the USB port has to be exposed to connect to the DJI RC-N1, which isn't water/dust resistant anyways, though would be cool if there was a way).
- 750 Nit (High brightness mode) making it comparable to the DJI RC, but not quite the RC Pro or Tripltek 8, but good enough for a tablet when I want to keep my phone free. (most of the other options including the newest Active4 Pro did not exceed 500nit).
- mPOS ready which I can use when getting paid by clients in the field if desired.
- Under 1lb weight (0.92lb vs 1.3 of the Tripltek 8P or 1.5 of the iPad Pro 12.9")

If you had a smart controller, then you could always look at the Feelworld range of 7-to-10-inch monitors. They have a brightness of 2,200NITS, nothing beats them, and the price is around $235. I have the Feelworld 729S at 2,200NITS and is a 7-inch screen. I plug it into the HDMI socket on my SC with my Mavic 2 Pro to get that super bright screen and 7-inch size and choose only the camera view.

If you had a smart controller, then you could always look at the Feelworld range of 7-to-10-inch monitors. They have a brightness of 2,200NITS, nothing beats them, and the price is around $235. I have the Feelworld 729S at 2,200NITS and is a 7-inch screen. I plug it into the HDMI socket on my SC with my Mavic 2 Pro to get that super bright screen and 7-inch size and choose only the camera view.
True, I looked at the smart controller in general but was more expensive and ocusync 2.0.

The iPad Pro 12.9 is a superb ‘monitor’ for flying, with two provisos: it’s heavy and will lower the screen brightness if it gets too warm. There are several cures for the first, including special mounts or even a monopod or tripod. As for the second, I’ve not found a method of shielding the screen in bright sun that doesn’t make it cumbersome (unless tripod mounted). Standing under an awning or tree is not an option IMHO. The big bonus is that, combined with a video editor called LumaFusion, the Pro will allow you to do complex edits virtually anywhere. The newer models, with M1 or M2 processors, must be awesome.

The iPad Pro 12.9 is a superb ‘monitor’ for flying, with two provisos: it’s heavy and will lower the screen brightness if it gets too warm. There are several cures for the first, including special mounts or even a monopod or tripod. As for the second, I’ve not found a method of shielding the screen in bright sun that doesn’t make it cumbersome (unless tripod mounted). Standing under an awning or tree is not an option IMHO. The big bonus is that, combined with a video editor called LumaFusion, the Pro will allow you to do complex edits virtually anywhere. The newer models, with M1 or M2 processors, must be awesome.
Indeed I've found that to be the case, but to actually own one is over a grand. Playing with it briefly though was fun and wasn't too unwieldy with the mount I had. Definitely a juicy large monitor especially with HD transmission turned on.

That was a concern about it getting too warm, or being rather impractical to use all the time (hence the 8 to 10" size seeming better).

But still, the size and clarity was drool-worthy but also a little ridiculous how I couldn't even see my remote when taking a picture of it in the hand. If I already owned it I would just stick with that, with maybe a little silicone case to put it in, but alas it goes back to the owner and was nice to be able to try it and see.

qvgzrob.jpg

Reactions: RobW01
Indeed I've found that to be the case, but to actually own one is over a grand. Playing with it briefly though was fun and wasn't too unwieldy with the mount I had. Definitely a juicy large monitor especially with HD transmission turned on.

That was a concern about it getting too warm, or being rather impractical to use all the time (hence the 8 to 10" size seeming better).

But still, the size and clarity was drool-worthy but also a little ridiculous how I couldn't even see my remote when taking a picture of it in the hand. If I already owned it I would just stick with that, with maybe a little silicone case to put it in, but alas it goes back to the owner and was nice to be able to try it and see.

qvgzrob.jpg
Good greef,is there a controller under there.

It would be awesome on a tripod with a Mavic 3 doing orthomosaic maps if only DJI would follow up with the SDK so we could use DroneDeploy or Dronelink. Even better with the Mavic 3E with mechanical shutter if I could afford it.

I fly my air 2 with the same RC-N1,but with a tripltek tablet
I went the route of a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 instead of the Tripletek.

It's not as bright (750nit max) or has as large a ram (4gb instead of 8), but it has the latest android version (13 instead of 10) with support guaranteed to android 15 and can handle all the same environmental conditions. But cost less than 500.

To date , DJI fly 1.9.1 , litchi, dronelink, airdata UAV, etc has been working just fine with it.

Reactions: Wreckhunter
I've had a Galaxy Tab Active 3 8" for a couple of months now and it like it alot. It's plenty rugged, has a replaceable battery, and physical navigation buttons. Sure it's not as bright as the Tripletek but according to the comparison guide from phantomhelp.com, it's the brightest in it's size/price range (around $400 for wifi version).

I've had a Galaxy Tab Active 3 8" for a couple of months now and it like it alot. It's plenty rugged, has a replaceable battery, and physical navigation buttons. Sure it's not as bright as the Tripletek but according to the comparison guide from phantomhelp.com, it's the brightest in it's size/price range (around $400 for wifi version).
I am looking to purchase a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 " for use with my Mavic 2 Pro but I am a little concerned it will not be compatible with the DJI GO 4 app. Can you shed any light on this or point me in the right direction to find out? Many thanks.

I am looking to purchase a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 " for use with my Mavic 2 Pro but I am a little concerned it will not be compatible with the DJI GO 4 app. Can you shed any light on this or point me in the right direction to find out? Many thanks.
DJI go 4 as long as you download it from the dji website ( not the Google play store) is known to work on Android 13. For a while it wouldn't but DJI finally released an update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom