DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bringing a drone to Canada after June 1, 2019.

Tbredhed

Reactions
If you are looking to bring a drone to Canada after June first you will have to comply with the new regulations. The following is a reply from Transport Canada on the process that will need to be followed:

All foreign operator will need to apply for a Special Flight operations Certificate (SFOC) for flying privileges in Canadian airspace after June 1st. The Canadian RPAS Pilot Certificate is not applicable to foreign applicants.

At the moment, the requirements for this SFOC application is still under development. When the process is finalized, it will be published in the form of an “Advisory Circular” – under 900 series where you can find it here in our website.

I just checked and there is nothing published yet, for everyone that is planning a trip here after June 1 hopefully this gets resolved. I'll try to keep this updated.
Cheers

If you are looking to bring a drone to Canada after June first you will have to comply with the new regulations. The following is a reply from Transport Canada on the process that will need to be followed:

All foreign operator will need to apply for a Special Flight operations Certificate (SFOC) for flying privileges in Canadian airspace after June 1st. The Canadian RPAS Pilot Certificate is not applicable to foreign applicants.

At the moment, the requirements for this SFOC application is still under development. When the process is finalized, it will be published in the form of an “Advisory Circular” – under 900 series where you can find it here in our website.

I just checked and there is nothing published yet, for everyone that is planning a trip here after June 1 hopefully this gets resolved. I'll try to keep this updated.
Cheers
Good info. Thanks.
I find this problem in the U.S.; laws get made about following rules that are not written. The FAA has yet to publish the rules to comply with laws made months ago. :confused:

Good to know we're not the only ones[emoji2957]
Good info. Thanks.
I find this problem in the U.S.; laws get made about following rules that are not written. The FAA has yet to publish the rules to comply with laws made months ago. :confused:

Great . Thank you very much . I leave for Canada on June 11th , would be good to know what to do before then .

Cheers
I was going to get political on this one, I going to keep my "pie ole" shut on this one.

Please keep me (us) updated. I'll be traveling there in September 2019

If you are looking to bring a drone to Canada after June first you will have to comply with the new regulations. The following is
Cheers

No once the new regulations come into effect June 1st you will have to apply for an SFOC. I could speculate what that would involve but not much point in that. Should be simple but who knows.
Cheers
so if i am reading this right you have to be canadian to fly a drone in canada?

Transport Canada requires you to have a Pilot Certificate as of June 01, 2019 as well have your drone registered with them and your drone marked with this registration number. This does not apply to drones under 250 grams. The information is available on the Government web site. Use www.tc.gc.ca. Go to Drone Safety under Services and Information

Transport Canada requires you to have a Pilot Certificate as of June 01, 2019 as well have your drone registered with them and your drone marked with this registration number. This does not apply to drones under 250 grams. The information is available on the Government web site. Use www.tc.gc.ca. Go to Drone Safety under Services and Information
That is true for Canadian residents, as my post stated if you are bringing a drone into Canada starting June 1st you will need to apply for an SFOC.

You are correct. The application form for the SFOC is on the website I listed.

You are correct. The application form for the SFOC is on the website I listed.
I think you need to read my initial post a little closer. The requirements for the SFOC for foreign visitors to Canada have not been established yet so the SFOC you are referring to will not work.
Cheers

The info on the web site refers to non resident requirements and states you must include the info from the country you are lisenced from with your request. just going by what I read.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike