DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Broch of Gurness, Iron Age Orkney...

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
A historic Iron Age subject for todays's drone video from Orkney, the awesome Broch of Gurness...

Taken in the evening on one of the days with good flying weather - although it was getting a bit windy and turbulent - we managed to get some stunning footage, which has come together to make the video, enjoy....

Whit a Braw Broch! One or two wee focus issues? Otherwise, great filming.
Thanks, was a great place to fly... Focus issues? Hadn't noticed, thought it was all sharp enough, apologies if there are, just watched it on the 55" TV and couldnt see anything majorly amiss with clarity..

Thanks, was a great place to fly... Focus issues? Hadn't noticed, thought it was all sharp enough, apologies if there are, just watched it on the 55" TV and couldnt see anything majorly amiss with clarity..
I have to apologise to you. Just watched it again on my 65" LG OLED TV and there are NO focus issues present. Don't know what happened first time round. Mind you, my eyes are now 74 years young! ;)

Reactions: AlbionDrones
I have to apologise to you. Just watched it again on my 65" LG OLED TV and there are NO focus issues present. Don't know what happened first time round. Mind you, my eyes are now 74 years young! ;)
No worries, I had a focus issue on a video about 3 months ago, so am at pains to make sure it is all good now, you had me going back and checking - and engaging hubby to do the same on the 55" LG 4K OLED Tv, and we couldnt spot anything, but better safe than sorry...

Beautiful place & flight! Love the history of places.
Thank you... Yes, I too love visiting historic places, the older and more mysterious the better.. Orkney is filled withhistory, a great place to visit for history buffs :)

A historic Iron Age subject for todays's drone video from Orkney, the awesome Broch of Gurness...

Taken in the evening on one of the days with good flying weather - although it was getting a bit windy and turbulent - we managed to get some stunning footage, which has come together to make the video, enjoy....

Truly beautiful site, very well captured. Great moves, flying skills really coming along. Thanks so much for posting.

Truly beautiful site, very well captured. Great moves, flying skills really coming along. Thanks so much for posting.
Thank you for the comments, appreciated :)

This is perhaps the most fascinating site you’ve filmed on this trip. Using your most excellent video as an example, here’s a couple ideas for combination moves:

For the opening shot, as the architecture has a clear centralized feature as a terminus, instead of passing over, if you slow forward progress and increase elevation as you tilt gimbal down, maintaining axis with the center, it provides a logical focal point for the viewer and an interesting visual transition. You don’t have to achieve a full straight down move, but it teases the POI’s and gimbal down spiral/rotation shots that follow. A similar move can be done in reverse for your closing segment.

For the gimbal down spiral shots, you might have set a spotlight in the center, then backwards away for part of a POI and then forward to the center for the boomerang effect.

I like the slide @1:52 along the straight wall. Good eye for the features. I’d make it a bit longer clip. I also like the elevation changes and forward/back on the POI’s/spotlights. Try a bit faster ascent/descent so it’s more noticeable.

As your video approaches the end is the most logical time to use the clips that are moving backwards and farther away from the site. They’d make for a better closing shot than the pass over, which should really be a wide and high departing shot with the subject in the center and wider landscape for context. @2:00 would be a better clip to close.

Try filming some more aggressive turns or other inputs towards the end of a segment. They make for really good visual transitions. Tilt down turnarounds come to mind. You only need a couple seconds to lead the transition.

Last edited:
  • Love
It's an amazing site which you've captured well. Thanks for taking me back there - the weather was better for you than on my visit which was pre-pandemic and pre-drone ownership. Looking forward to the next site. Thanks again.

This is perhaps the most fascinating site you’ve filmed on this trip. Using your most excellent video as an example, here’s a couple ideas for combination moves:

For the opening shot, as the architecture has a clear centralized feature as a terminus, instead of passing over, if you slow forward progress and increase elevation as you tilt gimbal down, maintaining axis with the center, it provides a logical focal point for the viewer and an interesting visual transition. You don’t have to achieve a full straight down move, but it teases the POI’s and gimbal down spiral/rotation shots that follow. A similar move can be done in reverse for your closing segment.

For the gimbal down spiral shots, you might have set a spotlight in the center, then backwards away for part of a POI and then forward to the center for the boomerang effect.

I like the slide @1:52 along the straight wall. Good eye for the features. I’d make it a bit longer clip. I also like the elevation changes and forward/back on the POI’s/spotlights. Try a bit faster ascent/descent so it’s more noticeable.

As your video approaches the end is the most logical time to use the clips that are moving backwards and farther away from the site. They’d make for a better closing shot than the pass over, which should really be a wide and high departing shot with the subject in the center and wider landscape for context. @2:00 would be a better clip to close.

Try filming some more aggressive turns or other inputs towards the end of a segment. They make for really good visual transitions. Tilt down turnarounds come to mind. You only need a couple seconds to lead the transition.
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, they are good food for thought and to incorporate in my repertoire moving forwards, I will take them on board...

The slide at 1:52 was something I wanted to make longer, but the clip became buncy in the turbulence form the HS Hut, so wasnt possible - perhaps I should have tried doing it again, but there was another flyer behind me waiting for access, so I felt under a little time pressure...

Yeah, the giball down transition in the fly over may well have worked better, I didn't think of that at the time - still getting used to smoothly moving the gimball while flying, especially when the flight was all manual...

Good suggestions about the out shot, didnt think of that, kicked myself when I got back as I hadn't taken anything that really gave me a proper intro reveal or outro, so was working with hwat I had... TBH on the day I was more focussed on flying in the wind that was at the limits of the drone's capabilities rather than focussing fully on what shots I needed...

Than ks again for the feedback, much appreciated :)

It's an amazing site which you've captured well. Thanks for taking me back there - the weather was better for you than on my visit which was pre-pandemic and pre-drone ownership. Looking forward to the next site. Thanks again.
Thanks Bilby, it is an amazing site... This was filmed on an evevning, after a full day elsewhere on the island, I knew I needed to take the opportunity to fly it while the weather was ok - although wind was bad, but can't have everything... I went on from here to Skara Brae and captured that too, which has already been posted...

Have just shared Stones of Stennes, more views, WW1 sites and the Barnhouse Settlement to come in the next week :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661