DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken Mavic Pro, worth upgrading to Mavic 2 Pro?

rr1619

Reactions
Hi all,

I crashed my mavic Pro over the weekend and the gimbal seems to be broken. It still flies, takes pictures, but can't move the camera at all. I am not sure what other damage the drone took, so I am deciding between:

Buying a brand new Mavic Pro 1 for $750 (drone-only), given I have 3 batteries and other accessories already

OR

Upgrading the whole system and buying a Mavic 2 Pro set for $1700-$2000

I was not even considering upgrading just yet before the accident, so it stings to spend all that money on a brand new Mavic 2 Pro set and have to buy new batteries and everything.

I suppose I could just look into repairing the gimbal which I understand to cost ~$100-250 with 3rd parties, but I am worried there is other damage to the drone or that it will take too long. Going on a trip in August I'd love the drone for.

Thanks yall!

You know you will end up getting one someday but I see your point with all the MP1 accessories that would be redundant.
The MP2 would be great for that trip though ;)

I am in the same boat. I just bricked my motherboard on my Platinum, and considered the same options as you.

Here's my thought... I'm holding off buying a Mavic 2 Pro, or whatever is available, until the first or second quarter of 2020. I hope maybe there will be a new model, especially one that has the capability for ADS-B (Automatic dependent surveillance - broadcast), which I hear DJI is working on. So with all the batteries and all that I currently have for the Platinum, I'm going to fix it myself. I opened it up and it's not that hard to fix.

Basically boils down to personal preference. Is the extra $1000 on a m2p really worth it?.. keep in mind your batteries alone are worth about $300. We can get you airborne fairly quickly where the same setup w/ the m2p will run prob $1500+ with all the extras. If the ans. is you want the latest and greatest I think it is still worth to fix as the resale value will be more on a drone that works.
So if you do decide to fix and don't want to diy it
We offer Free shipping both ways, free inspection were you only pay if we fix. Also keep in mind you get $35 off the repair using coupon "mavicpilots"

Awesome, thank you all for the responses. I think I will look into repairing it first, ASAP (headed your way @djidroneservice ), and if it's too costly to repair/unrepairable, should still leave me enough time to buy a new MP or MP2 before my trip in 3.5 weeks.

Assuming the repair route doesn't work out, welcome all thoughts on buying MP vs. MP2 still! I really loved that MP and it was always reliable, probably why I'm hesitant to upgrade at this particular time...

Awesome, thank you all for the responses. I think I will look into repairing it first, ASAP (headed your way @djidroneservice ), and if it's too costly to repair/unrepairable, should still leave me enough time to buy a new MP or MP2 before my trip in 3.5 weeks.

Assuming the repair route doesn't work out, welcome all thoughts on buying MP vs. MP2 still! I really loved that MP and it was always reliable, probably why I'm hesitant to upgrade at this particular time...

Lmk your ticket number so I can expedite the process. Forum members get VIP treatment

M2P is definitely worth the upgrade. Get what you can for all your old gear now, or you could fix it and keep as a spare.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
M2P is definitely worth the upgrade. Get what you can for all your old gear now, or you could fix it and keep as a spare.
Opinions like this are great, but much more helpful if reasons why it it "definitely worth the upgrade" when you're going to spend at least $1000 for it. Before I could advise the OP, even as a "novice" at this drone flying, I would at least want to know what he/she is primarily using the drone for. The Platinum takes very nice stills and videos when the camera is set properly. Slightly clearer photography and zoom features would make it "worth it" for some, but not for many. Please list all of the reasons why the M2P is "worth it" to you. That might help the OP even more.

Reactions: rr1619 and tmtwomey
My vote is NO NO.

The dumbest thing I’ve ever done is sell my Mavic Pro.

The 2nd dumbest thing I’ve done is buy the M2Pro....WITH THE SMART CONTROLLER.

If I could find the regular RC, I’m sure I would be happier.

My M2 is shelved most days, P2, Tello, Spark and Air give me more confidence. Expensive lesson.

YMMV

I would not switch over to the M2Pro., too. The old Mavic Pro is the most reliable drone I ever had and the Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom just offer a bit better image quality which might be essential to professionals but not the common hobbyist. On the cons side it is bigger, significantly more heavy, more expensive and not even really compatible to my DJI goggles (white). And the Mavic 2 just gives the illusion of more security due to more sensors, but the lateral sensors only work in cinematic mode. And if you are used to fly FPV you will never benefit form the sensors at all.
Ok, if I would not have a Mavic Pro yet I would go for a Mavic 2, but the surplus value is not worth a replacement.

Have you reached the limits of the mavic1 camera (technical performance)? If not fix what you have an enjoy.....

Even if you go the upgrade path you will likely recover the cost of the repair and more if you choose to sell it. They aren’t worth much busted.

Wow I really appreciate all the responses, this is my first time posting. I am glad to hear from folks how reliable they find their Mavic Pro because I feel the same way. I am definitely going the repair route first to hopefully salvage it.

I called the online repair services and they only swap out entire gimbals, not individual parts (like a torn gimbal ribbon cable) so I am taking it to a local store this weekend to have the extent of the damage checked out first. Will update all on the outcome... would be a travesty to visit Sweden in August without a drone.

On drone usage / technical aspects - I just use it for hobbyist photography/videos everywhere I travel. I have been extremely happy with the Mavic Pro quality, although that's all I've seen, so I don't know how much better the other models are.

On drone usage / technical aspects - I just use it for hobbyist photography/videos everywhere I travel. I have been extremely happy with the Mavic Pro quality, although that's all I've seen, so I don't know how much better the other models are.
There is almost almost always something better. Question is if your happy with what you have now.

One thing is for certain- there will be better after the M2P and better again after that.

The longer you wait for that upgrade the better from the perspective of continual advancement in technology.

Opinions like this are great, but much more helpful if reasons why it it "definitely worth the upgrade" when you're going to spend at least $1000 for it. Before I could advise the OP, even as a "novice" at this drone flying, I would at least want to know what he/she is primarily using the drone for. The Platinum takes very nice stills and videos when the camera is set properly. Slightly clearer photography and zoom features would make it "worth it" for some, but not for many. Please list all of the reasons why the M2P is "worth it" to you. That might help the OP even more.

Working autofocus, no compass errors, all around obstacle detection, 4S power, Occusync 2.0 performs much better around interference, 1080p live view on device, landing lights, 3 position flight mode switch allows ATTI mode withing giving up Sport mode, 3 minute camera swaps between Pro and Zoom... and probably some other things.

I fly Spark, Air, M1P, M1PP, M2P, M2Z, P3P, P4P, P4A, P4PO, I1, I2 plus FPV. The reliability and solid flight performance on the M2 is exceptional and the batteries are the best performing of any of the DJI family, with a couple of mine over 200 cycles now and still putting out ~20km flights. APAS and sensors, while not perfect, are a huge improvement over the M1. I can use Active Track Profile, APAS on and ride my bike without worrying about tree branches or other obstacles. The M2 flies around them and doesn't lose the shot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1