DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken(?) starboard aft arm, fix it myself (glue?) or use Care Refresh?

such a repair will not automatically void your warranty just as if you wired your bumper back to your car, you don't lose the warranty.

Seriously, it really is like debating with a 10 year old with you. So your “wired bumper” starts sagging and begins blocking the exhaust, which ends up destroying the engine. You really think any auto manufacturer is going to cover the engine repair under warranty when you didn’t have the previous repairs done correctly? Again unbelievable, but you are entertaining.

such a repair will not automatically void your warranty just as if you wired your bumper back to your car, you don't lose the warranty.

Seriously, it really is like debating with a 10 year old with you. So your “wired bumper” starts sagging and begins blocking the exhaust, which ends up destroying the engine. You really think any auto manufacturer is going to cover the engine repair under warranty when you didn’t have the previous repairs done correctly? Again unbelievable, but you are entertaining.
with that fiction scenario you made up, probably not.

here's the scenario is spoke about, a true scenario. you hit a pole, your bumper sags. you wire it back in place until you figure out what you want to do. your back seat power windows stop working and the dealer says sorry you have no warranty. it happens. or anything similar, you make it up.

a warranty covers a manufacturer's defect. it's still a defect unless you abuse it.

a dji care refresh is a service contract that you pay for that's better than a warranty in most cases. unless you deliberately destroy something, it's going to cover whatever little mishaps you get into even if you are careless.

in this example, the flyer makes a mistake and crashes the drone and breaks a rear arm. he fails to get the drone repaired by an authorized service center and he makes the repair himself (or keeps flying) because you know, we have the right to repair our own stuff within reason without losing the warranty that covers manufacturers defects or a service contract that covers everything except fraud and deliberate damage. second crash and the front arm breaks and he sends it in. because there are idiots all over, somebody might return his drone and claim he sees unauthorized repairs on the rear arm and whether they contributed to the crash (and even if they did) because he can't rule it out, the whole claim is denied, here's your junk back, your service contract is void, no refund.

i know how to avoid that illegal stupidity that has been going on for years and I'm not naive that i think it still doesn't happen; ask me if you want to learn how as well, or....roll with it. up to you.

As you said, sometimes the manufacturer is *not* going to cover it and that's when it comes time to make* them cover it but I prefer not to go that route.

*arbitration, court, consumer rights; whatever the legal alternative is available today.

• Haha
Reactions: Myetkt
with that fiction scenario you made up, probably not.

here's the scenario is spoke about, a true scenario. you hit a pole, your bumper sags. you wire it back in place until you figure out what you want to do. your back seat power windows stop working and the dealer says sorry you have no warranty. it happens. or anything similar, you make it up.

a warranty covers a manufacturer's defect. it's still a defect unless you abuse it.

a dji care refresh is a service contract that you pay for that's better than a warranty in most cases. unless you deliberately destroy something, it's going to cover whatever little mishaps you get into even if you are careless.

in this example, the flyer makes a mistake and crashes the drone and breaks a rear arm. he fails to get the drone repaired by an authorized service center and he makes the repair himself (or keeps flying) because you know, we have the right to repair our own stuff within reason without losing the warranty that covers manufacturers defects or a service contract that covers everything except fraud and deliberate damage. second crash and the front arm breaks and he sends it in. because there are idiots all over, somebody might return his drone and claim he sees unauthorized repairs on the rear arm and whether they contributed to the crash (and even if they did) because he can't rule it out, the whole claim is denied, here's your junk back, your service contract is void, no refund.

i know how to avoid that illegal stupidity that has been going on for years and I'm not naive that i think it still doesn't happen; ask me if you want to learn how as well, or....roll with it. up to you.

As you said, sometimes the manufacturer is *not* going to cover it and that's when it comes time to make* them cover it but I prefer not to go that route.

*arbitration, court, consumer rights; whatever the legal alternative is available today.
Well aren’t you special..

Making a small repair myself........
I doubt gluing an arm back together counts as an insignificant or small repair.

I have a mini 1, bought as scrap, with a glued up arm.
The glue job was horrendous and the arm is actually twisited, quite surprisingly the drone actually flies ( indoors only so far ) and the drone will never be used for anything other than indoor flights or in a test to see whether or not an attempted mid-air motor restart will work with a mini 1.

I doubt gluing an arm back together counts as an insignificant or small repair.

I have a mini 1, bought as scrap, with a glued up arm.
The glue job was horrendous and the arm is actually twisited, quite surprisingly the drone actually flies ( indoors only so far ) and the drone will never be used for anything other than indoor flights or in a test to see whether or not an attempted mid-air motor restart will work with a mini 1.
Maybe not but it won't void a care refresh from a second crash that destroys the rest of the drone at least not based on the pics from teh op in my opinion. I honestly just don't believe he has to get it repaired under care refresh or lose it for the future. Nothing wrong with trying to glue it first if it's a small repair especially when he said doesn't appear to adversely affect the flight. Again, I'm saying this because I believe it makes a difference when DJI replaces your drone rather than repair it.

Generally speaking, if a secondary problem wasn't caused, directly or indirectly, by repair of an initial problem, the owner has a legal leg to stand on and most manufacturers of products will honor the warranty.

Having said that, you must also take into consideration any applicable laws in the country where you live. In the US, under the above scenario, the company would be liable for repairs but if the refuse, you would be required to take legal action against them. Such action would have to paid for by you, though you could seek reimbursement. When dealing with a foreign company, such suits can become very complex. It is doubtful it would be worth it for a drone, unless you were looking at a very expensive one.

Sure does say alot. It says I understand the dji care refresh contract better than you. If I crash the drone and forgo the first repair and then I crash the drone a second time and I send it in, I should be entitled to the repairs covering the first and the second crash. Making a small repair myself to a covered repair doesn't cancel my ability to go back and get it repaired in the future. DJI replaces destroyed drone, they don't repair them. I'm getting exactly what I paid for with the service contract. How about you do you.

You're entitled to what you and DJI contractually agreed to, and nothing more.

The fact that you believe you can repair the drone yourself and then hide that repair and still have a valid contract is proof you haven't read it.

Generally speaking, if a secondary problem wasn't caused, directly or indirectly, by repair of an initial problem, the owner has a legal leg to stand on and most manufacturers of products will honor the warranty.

Remember, he said he would remove the front arms (repaired by him) before sending it in.

Only @mavic3usa sees this as honest behavior. The rest of us understand that this is hiding the first gluejob so that DJI can't determine if that was the cause.

Having said that, you must also take into consideration any applicable laws in the country where you live. In the US, under the above scenario, the company would be liable for repairs but if the refuse, you would be required to take legal action against them.

Actually no, the claim would be rejected on the grounds that the drone was returned with parts clearly removed, which violates the contract.

Taking legal action against DJI would be fool's errand in the extreme.

Actually no, the claim would be rejected on the grounds that the drone was returned with parts clearly removed, which violates the contract.

Taking legal action against DJI would be fool's errand in the extreme.
DJI would reject a DJI care refresh claim on what grounds? The drone came back with clearly removed parts? What do I need to do, drop the drone on the rear legs first and then return it? 😂

Maybe you don't know the difference between the warranty and care refresh. 😂

• Haha
Remember, he said he would remove the front arms (repaired by him) before sending it in.

Only @mavic3usa sees this as honest behavior. The rest of us understand that this is hiding the first gluejob so that DJI can't determine if that was the cause.
You are pretending you don't know what Care Refresh means. This coming from someone who lives in the biggest state in the country pushing the consumer's right to repair outside of the EU. 😂

The only time a care refresh claim would be dishonored is if the Air Force shot down your drone, an earthquake crushed it, or you posted a YT video showing yourself taking a hammer to the drone arms and legs.

• Haha
Agreed, DIY repairs are not covered; you'll need a different (non-DIY) crash/break if you want to claim your DJI Care
The only time a care refresh claim would be dishonored is if the Air Force shot down your drone, an earthquake crushed it, or you posted a YT video showing yourself taking a hammer to the drone arms and legs.

So you agree this statement you made is incorrect.

So you agree this statement you made is incorrect.
Yeah I left out a few examples but I figured you wouldn't nitpick and believe there were only three exactly instances. Do you think if a Navy jet shot down your drone, it would be covered because I said Air Force? The "hammer" example denotes intentional destruction which covers what you would be doing if you opened up your drone and took an iron and tried to re-wired everything yourself and screwed it all up. Anyway, you didn't right; you looked it up for yourself, don't take my word for it. DJI Care Refresh doesn't cover DIY repairs but that's doesn't mean DIY repairs cancel your DJI Care Refresh. If you "opt yourself out" then no, you don't get it. That's where I'm going to leave it , you took your best shot. Have a good weekend! :p

Yeah I left out a few examples but I figured you wouldn't nitpick and believe there were only three exactly instances. Do you think if a Navy jet shot down your drone, it would be covered because I said Air Force? The "hammer" example denotes intentional destruction which covers what you would be doing if you opened up your drone and took an iron and tried to re-wired everything yourself and screwed it all up. Anyway, you didn't right; you looked it up for yourself, don't take my word for it. DJI Care Refresh doesn't cover DIY repairs but that's doesn't mean DIY repairs cancel your DJI Care Refresh. If you "opt yourself out" then no, you don't get it. That's where I'm going to leave it , you took your best shot. Have a good weekend! :p
Funny once again you are wrong, and rather than just being an adult, apologizing and saying you were wrong, you choose to side step and make excuses, and insult me, shocking.

Here is another of your quotes “Actually I am wrong quite a bit.” you know how some people here put little sayings under their name, you should put that under yours.

I don't see anywhere in my post about removing parts and sending something in for service. It was made in reference to making a repair and then sending it in for service intact. The OP was concerned he would have to remove the repaired part before returning the drone and I was pointing out that so long as the repaired part wasn't responsible for the secondary incident, under US law in most places they would be responsible to fix the secondary damage. They would not be required to fix the repaired arm however.

Feel free to nit-pick this as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr