DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Build Quality of Mavic 2 Pro...

floyd

Reactions
Maybe it's only me, but it seems the build quality of the M2P is not as good as the original Mavic Pro. The build on the original just "feels" sturdier, higher quality. The build on the M2P "feels" lighter, cheaper, loose.

What prompted this observation was when folding the M2P's prop arms I noticed the arms hit the drone's body. At first I thought maybe I had a defective M2P, but then I saw a youtube review. The guy mentioned the same issue.

I don't want this to become another "Mavic 2 Pro hater" thread; I'm just expressing an observation. All things considered, I'm reasonable pleased with my M2P.

Do your prop arms hit when folding them in?
Do you feel the build quality is better, as good, or worse than the original MP?

Floyed there are several threads about the arms but since we have changed formats I can't find them.
As far as the arms yes mine touch at the motors when opening or folding in but with just a little pressure pulling out they clear .Have seen one thread where it was scraping at the point where the arms leave the back .Some have had scuff marks on the camera body .
All and all though I love mine and have a MP and the Pro .
IMO I think they are about the same with little things that you can find .
Sure more will jump in and maybe know where those threads are at .

Sorry about creating a repeat thread. While I touched on the rubbing issue, I guess the main point of my post is to question whether the build quality has diminished a bit from the original MP. I'm pretty sure the legs on my old MP didn't rub. Seems like a foolish and avoidable quality control issue. Where else were corners cut... if at all?

But I do agree, performance and feature-wise, the M2P rocks!

Reactions: dioriosigns
No not a duplicate was just going to show you some of the
things others had found. Have my second MP now and nether of them had that rub. But I will take it over the better camera and gimbal. It’s all good was just going to show ya.

I believe the legs going against the body is by design do they don't bounce around as much in transit. I believe someone found DJI address this in an updated manual.

Does anyone think this rubbing problem is a warranty issue? Sure, right now the rubbing seems trite. But opening and closing those legs for a couple years I wonder it the wear and tear will create grooves and eventually loosen the legs.

Not likely. Page 7 of version 1.2 users manual says this is normal. As I said in previous post, DJI meant to have the arms held firmly so they won't move much when transporting.

I am far from an engineer, but I can't see how friction and questionable structural integrity are intentional features designed into the drone. I would think over time this loose link will only become more loose until it breaks. And the friction from rubbing against the body eventually creating a scar. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not trying to be argumentative... just trying to understand and decide if I should contact DJI about it.

I am far from an engineer, but I can't see how friction and questionable structural integrity are intentional features designed into the drone. I would think over time this loose link will only become more loose until it breaks. And the friction from rubbing against the body eventually creating a scar. Maybe I'm wrong.

By sure you are not wrong but right, because this is your perception.
I think what you perceive as a quality issue, is by pure intention of the DJI engineers.
At least my MP2 has the same ... even if i can't know "how strong" this effect is on yours. By sure also the MP2 has kind of a tolerance chain of the parts assembled.

The physical effect is to get "some pre-tension" used together with "two surfaces having a certain roughness". This by sure stabilizes the armes during transport by kind of a clamping effect. Depending on the surface roughness the parts have this might or might not have an visible effect after hundrets of times folding in/out the arms. Anyhow, i see nothing that will break here.

What do you mean exactly by "questionable structural integrity ".

Not trying to be argumentative... just trying to understand and decide if I should contact DJI about it.

i would guess DJI argues the same way as i did and do nothing. As posted before this is already part of their user instruction/info.
Anyhow... for the next DJI drones (or even for updated MP2s in some months) they might consider a different solution for fixing the arms in a way that users do not any more get confused.
Whatever the solution might be. Color-coding the arms differently in the clamping areas, ...using different materials ...or or or
The good thing: threads likes this one are valuable source of info for the DJI engineers.

You mentioned specifically about the back legs being against the body, but you also mention some 'looseness'. Can you be more specific?

Love my Mavic 1, revolutionary drone due to its compact design, love my Mavic 2 pro, evolutionary, built quality of new Mavic excellent as far as I am concerned. I could write about all the improvements compared to Mavic 1, but I am more happy with my time flying it. Go fly and enjoy, that's my motto.

I’m sure your camera tripod legs touch when it’s in the transport/storage position, the folding LCD display on your Camera touches the body etc. It would seem to be well thought out and intentional. If the arms were loose when deployed I would be concerned.

Questionable structural integrity? Have no fear. The legs are glass reinforced nylon with other body components being ABS. Both offer exceptional wear resistance amongst other properties. Glass reinforced nylon is stronger than aluminium by weight. Other body components are AZ91D an alloy containing mostly magnesium with aluminium and zink. You don’t have to look to closely at the way the M2 is made to appreciate the quality of the tooling for the component moulds, fit and finish and how well the overall design is resolved. There is no way the leg rubbing isnt an intentional design decision.

Reactions: Chill
I would suggest the mechanical engineers at DJI where trying to achieve an interference type fit, also known as a press fit or friction fit, similar to when fastening between two parts by friction after the parts are pushed together, rather than by any other means of fastening. I assume this design was to achieve securely fastened arms for storage and transporting of the unit.

The camera gimbal is definitely miles ahead of the original Mavic (held on by rubber bands, etc)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh