DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Building confidence with my mavic 2 zoom

Droneonanon

Reactions
Started flying a drone for the 1st time in June, the sensors helped keep things safe as I leant more and built up my confidence. I also bought the dji goggles re but I cant get a lens that can correct my eyes enough to make it worth using, tried the opticians but still no joy so just sticking with a samsung s5e which works really well, will prob sell the goggles on ebay.
Samsung mobiles and tablets draw power from the controller and can't be turned off to my knowledge, I have read that its ok to rig an additional power pack via the left hand port on the controller to the tablet and thereby cancelling out the power draw on the controller battery. I have plugged it all in as described and it seems to work but would appreciate any advice if there is a downside to this set up??

The only downsides are the extra weight and setup hassle for something that may not be needed (I can fly through my three MP batteries without depleting the RC battery). One time I forgot to charge my RC but was able to use a mostly depleted MP battery (using the USB converter from the FMC) to keep it flying. I use a Samsung Tab A.

Not fully tested with the tablet yet but my S10+ really sucked the power down after just one 18 min flight. Agreed its a bit more setting up but I'm hoping it'll save me fretting about low % on the controller next time I'm out. ?

Glad to hear your enjoying your Mavic and getting more confident flying it. Keep up the practice and have fun!

Onward and Upward.

I had two worries:

1) Me. Was I going to crash the drone into something or panic and damage it. That just takes airtime to know what you're doing and build your "drone brain". Leave it in P mode and let the sensors help you

2) The drone itself. Was this thing going to malfunction and crash or just take off into the sunset. Who knows on that one, never had a hiccup with mine.

End of the day, keep flying and you'll learn to be confident in you and your equipment.

I read these post's quite a lot and there are those that say one day you will crash but they don't say if it will be product driven or operator driven, quite a few times they post saying that they have wrecked there bird but when the tech guys look into the flight record it's nearly always operator fault. I've had my M2P since March and no problems but you can' be complacent with it or, well you know the or.

Reactions: Van Shteffy
Although being an Android guy, I find that an iPad mini 4 offers the best piloting experience as it just fits in the jaws and works very well. Don't think it drains the battery. I charge everything up fully before I go out to film, and the drone batteries are exhausted long before the controller or tablet.

As regards flying confidence, being cautious is good! Don't rely on the sensors as the sideways ones don't work in all modes. It's perfectly possible to be doing an orbit and crash into a tree you hadn't seen without it telling you it's there. I prefer to take the drone high and look around the area I'm flying before I start getting in close to things.

Apart from sideways trees jumping out of nowhere, spindly objects don't get picked up by the sensors well - especially sideways. I crashed into a pole and had to get a replacement from DJI.

I have to say that it's a completely different experience to the Spark. Mainly because of occusync allowing connection to the controller reliably.

Happy droning :)

Reactions: NXPRSS
Thanks for the tips, I read that apple phones/tablets don't take power off the controller but on samsung you can't turn the power draw off. I got the S5e tab as it makes it easier to share photos with my S10 and of course its more intuitive for me as the layouts are typical samsung and saves me some head scratching using an Apple system.
Apart from the extra weight, the auxiliary power supply I rigged up works very well and saves the controller from losing its power prematurely. ?

Early on, one of my favorite ways to gain confidence was to fly the drone close, but to turn around and face away from the drone so that I had to rely only on the data provided by the phone or tablet. Using a large tablet instead of a phone was also a huge help.

Reactions: Van Shteffy
I have goggles and simply use $10.00 reader glasses with them that I purchased at a pharmacy. The information that I have read indicated that you should be able to clearly read text at 9 inches from the glasses. I actually bought two pair at different power to allow friends to use the goggles too who's eyes are jut a bit different than mine. Reader glasses are available at different powers from 1.5x 2x 2.25x 2.75x 3.25x

Sadly, my problem is not that simple. Reader glasses just magnify and work great for one eye but the other eye remains blurred regardless of lens strength hence my trips to an optician. Bottom line is the goggles just dont give me the effect that others enjoy as I can't read any info or see any view through the left lens. ?

I use the exact setup you describe; samsung s5e with a small external battery pack attached to the tablet holder. After having used a phone, goggles, and the tablet, I can say that by far my favorite setup is with the tablet. I returned the goggles, and recently I tried to use my phone to fly because I accidentally forgot the tablet holder and it was terrible to use after haven gotten used to that big screen of the tablet. I'm still tempted to try the Moverio glasses, but I have very few complaints with the tablet. It could always be brighter, but the truth is that during the best times of day to fly; the first and last few hours of daytime, even the brightness isn't really an issue.

Reactions: Droneonanon

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11