DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bumped into a wall on its maiden flight..

SkyFlyBoy

Reactions
Hey guys,

Just got my Mavic Mini a week ago and as the title says, my drone bumped into a wall..

Long story short, I gave the controller to my brother to have a go at it and he bumped it into the wall.. it kept flying but I landed it immediately and gave it a thorough check and found that the props were a lil damaged from the wall hit and I am not sure if I should change them.. I do have extra props as I knew I`d crash eventually (not quite as soon as this though). I flew it again afterwards and found that it still flies as it normally would..

I know I probably should not have flown it indoors but I was absolutely ecstatic and just wanted to get it off the ground as soon as I got the batteries fully charged up.

Should I change the props? Pictures Below.

IMG-3859.jpgIMG-3861.jpg
IMG-3859.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3860.jpg
    IMG-3860.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: Hauptmann
Not only should you change the props, you might want to install prop guards, and use them when you expect to be flying near obstacles. Once you're a proficient flyer, you can take them off, and only use them when you have an inexperienced pilot at the controls.

If your flying indoors make sure the environment is as bright as possible otherwise the vision systems won't be able to hold the hover and it'll go into ATTI mode

ok here we go again on prop damage......
Question???
Has anyone had a prop actually fail??

Question???
Why would that matter? Even if it hasn't happened, do you want to be the first?

A prop with a deep nick can indeed fail when spinning at high speed. Props are cheap compared to the expensive investment of your drone itself, so why risk it?

Also even without prop failure, any little nick will cause the prop to be out of balance. This causes excess vibration which affects not only the prop but the entire airframe. So something else can come loose or fail, which can cause a crash.

Just replace the props and move on.

To answer your question directly, no I have never had a prop fail. However I inspect them before each and every flight. If anything looks or feels off then I replace it.

ok here we go again on prop damage......
Question???

I've looked at several flight logs of crashes where there was prop failure. It's not common but it happen, and is more likely with damaged props. I can't imagine why anyone would risk complete loss for the sake of a few dollars worth of new props.

Also even without prop failure, any little nick will cause the prop to be out of balance. This causes excess vibration
Appeal...It's his opinion your honour and NOT factual...Fake News even.

I dont want to argue so this is the last time I mentions props on the forum ?

Appeal...It's his opinion your honour and NOT factual...Fake News even.
Um it is totally factual. There's no fake news here. Read up on it perhaps? Test it perhaps? Take out any amount of material from a prop and then put it on a balancer to see that it is out of balance. Simple physics actually.

Also, simple physics to know that a rotating object (especially one at high speed) will cause vibrations if it is not balanced around the center of rotation. Why do you think that the tires/wheels on your automobile need to be balanced? Why do you think that the props are designed to be balanced at the factory? For that matter, why do we have two-blade props on these drones, instead of just one blade (which BTW is more efficient aerodynamically)?

So perhaps it is you that have an opinion? An opinion which is wrong in this case. I am looking at it from the factual side. One that uses physics as its basis.

I dont want to argue so this is the last time I mentions props on the forum ?
Probably for the best since there is no basis in truth upon which to argue your opinion with.

I check my props each and every time I fly, plus I use a laser temp gun to check that each motor is preforming to its peak capacity. All motors have to be in same ball park temp, within a few degrees
before take off. I fly to two MP, want to keep them flying, try to take every precaution.

I check my props each and every time I fly, plus I use a laser temp gun to check that each motor is preforming to its peak capacity. All motors have to be in same ball park temp, within a few degrees
before take off. I fly to two MP, want to keep them flying, try to take every precaution.
curious, what would optimal temps be for the mini?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian