DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bumpy Mavic Ride

Remy

Reactions
So i bought the Mavic 3 combo, couple of days later the RC Pro… maybe better to have waited for the RC Pro combo, but hey: wasn’t available/known then. Ok…

First flight: back legs shaked/vibrated. DJI wanted the drone back for replacement: had to wait for 2 whole weeks to get the new one back for my old new one. With DJI Care, little bit disappointing, but OK again…

It’s a nice drone, but some strange things: the sd card holder on the drone and the controller are placed in the worse possible manner (i need to grow one of my nails); for a drone that price. Also doesn’t seem to be able to select the controller sd card instead of internal, and trying to find the pictures/movies in the terrible android surrounding (as a ios user); where the **** are they hahaha?! (Not in the pictures or video map)

Why doesn’t the controller remember the changes to the buttons? Why is half the functionality missing? My god.

C’mon DJI: you can do better!

The new combo won't be available until early next year. December 20 in mainland China. So it wasn't like you could get it now. Order yes. Get, no!

So i bought the Mavic 3 combo, couple of days later the RC Pro… maybe better to have waited for the RC Pro combo, but hey: wasn’t available/known then. Ok…

First flight: back legs shaked/vibrated. DJI wanted the drone back for replacement: had to wait for 2 whole weeks to get the new one back for my old new one. With DJI Care, little bit disappointing, but OK again…

It’s a nice drone, but some strange things: the sd card holder on the drone and the controller are placed in the worse possible manner (i need to grow one of my nails); for a drone that price. Also doesn’t seem to be able to select the controller sd card instead of internal, and trying to find the pictures/movies in the terrible android surrounding (as a ios user); where the **** are they hahaha?! (Not in the pictures or video map)

Why doesn’t the controller remember the changes to the buttons? Why is half the functionality missing? My god.

Well put, particularly your comments on the RC Pro:Worse still adoptable memory is disabled and you can't even cache video to the SD Card. Of 32 Gb only 14 is available. The "updated, improved controller, created as a more capable replacement for the good, but dated Smart Controller. Processing power, higher precision and sensitivity sticks, better transmission speeds and - "coming with a firmware update" - a phrase that has worn very thin - WiFi 6 file transfers at significantly higher data rates. That's all terrific, but as you so aptly pointed out, there is a TOTAL of 32 Gb. of Internal storage, of each about 14 are left the first time you boot it up.

Okay then, so I prepared for this with a few 256Gb, 2-512Gb, and one 1Tb U3, V30, A2 SDcards. Except they are fairly useless. Adoptable Storage is Disabled on the controller, which is no Android 10, most likely for the same reasons many manufacturers disable it: 1. If users put a slow, poor quality Card in and merge it with internal memory, the controller will run like dogshit. Plus DJI will have to field support calls on that, and 2, the Card is easily ejectable, as hardware. It's not behind a door, or inside the unit, but right there, spring loaded and ready to pop right out, almost certainly corrupting the striped data set that is part of if it gets modified in any way before re-mounting the card.

So I get that choice. What I COMPLETELY DO NOT GET is why they locked the cards access put of the DJI Fly App. You cannot download directly to it, you cannot even access it from DJI Fly. Or through the installed file manager or another one that you might install.
This is a bad joke. They even Removed and Turned Off "Auto Sync HD Photos"

Then removed "Sync Downloaded Files to Phone Album" -choices in DJI Fly.Just as well, since what they call the "Phone Album is in INTERNAL MEMORY, so just DOUBLES the amount of Internal capacity that fills with media.Same with the entire cached media, no matter what size you choose.
The set the card up as "Portable Memory" but give no access to it in the APPLICATION. Note that the OG Smart Controller does all of this perfectly.

How does this translate to workflow? It means you have ONE workable file management solution: Take the Card out of the Aircraft when done flying and directly copy the media via a card reader to your PC.
I went out and flew 3 batteries, and recorded perhaps 25-30 minutes of video and took 15-20 photos. When back, I went into the album, did a batch select, and hit download. NG. "Insufficient space to download" - on a brand new RC Pro, with NO media other than cached from the 3 flights. My only workaround was to copy 4-5 video clips, go to file manager, move them to the SD Card, or copy, then delete them from Internal storage. Rinse and repeat.

Then of course DJI Fly cannot use them or edit them (a cheesy way to use the high quality video, granted but it IS DJI's editor.) - in fact you can't even review or find them in DJI Fly. The App that DJI insists is appropriate for the Mavic 3.

I get it that features and autonomous flight modes are being finalized. I'm not happy about it, but I get it. But file management and handling is not working??? AGAIN with ZERO upfront disclaimer,, explanation or commitment. Just "The new RC Pro that is so good you will sell a child or 2 to own"

Knowing it ONLY supports Mavic 3, and HATING the RC-N1 they included in the box of a Prosumer drone, I stupidly SOLD Mt Smart Controller, thinking, well it's pn to the future now, no looking back. There's no looking back, or up or down...

Ugh this keeps getting worse instead of better. I was SO looking forward to this controller, and I like a lot of it. Except the part where you can't use it.

Not workable.

Last edited:

I have this problem with almost all DJI drones. I created this micro SD card remover tool to make life easier.

Love it. Wonder why DJI circuit design always ends up with the card upside down? Is it a statement? 🤔 Or indicative of not thinking things through, lol!

I have 2 of Msinger's card removers, they work great, carry one with each drone as I pull a card after each flight, never know when you will have a problem, lose the drone etc. and if the card has multiple flights, all is gone.

Cards are cheap, and these tweezers make removal much easier, especially on a cold day.

Paul

Reactions: msinger
Love it. Wonder why DJI circuit design always ends up with the card upside down? Is it a statement? 🤔 Or indicative of not thinking things through, lol!
it has to do with gravity having it upside down. particles will fall down from the contacts.

Reactions: Joeblow
I am not intending to be snarky, but aren’t you glad you didn’t plunk down for the Cine model?
The more I read about the M3, the more I like my M2.

Reactions: VanP
Well put, particularly your comments on the RC Pro:Worse still adoptable memory is disabled and you can't even cache video to the SD Card. Of 32 Gb only 14 is available. The "updated, improved controller, created as a more capable replacement for the good, but dated Smart Controller. Processing power, higher precision and sensitivity sticks, better transmission speeds and - "coming with a firmware update" - a phrase that has worn very thin - WiFi 6 file transfers at significantly higher data rates. That's all terrific, but as you so aptly pointed out, there is a TOTAL of 32 Gb. of Internal storage, of each about 14 are left the first time you boot it up.

Okay then, so I prepared for this with a few 256Gb, 2-512Gb, and one 1Tb U3, V30, A2 SDcards. Except they are fairly useless. Adoptable Storage is Disabled on the controller, which is no Android 10, most likely for the same reasons many manufacturers disable it: 1. If users put a slow, poor quality Card in and merge it with internal memory, the controller will run like dogshit. Plus DJI will have to field support calls on that, and 2, the Card is easily ejectable, as hardware. It's not behind a door, or inside the unit, but right there, spring loaded and ready to pop right out, almost certainly corrupting the striped data set that is part of if it gets modified in any way before re-mounting the card.

So I get that choice. What I COMPLETELY DO NOT GET is why they locked the cards access put of the DJI Fly App. You cannot download directly to it, you cannot even access it from DJI Fly. Or through the installed file manager or another one that you might install.

Then removed "Sync Downloaded Files to Phone Album" -choices in DJI Fly.Just as well, since what they call the "Phone Album is in INTERNAL MEMORY, so just DOUBLES the amount of Internal capacity that fills with media.Same with the entire cached media, no matter what size you choose.
The set the card up as "Portable Memory" but give no access to it in the APPLICATION. Note that the OG Smart Controller does all of this perfectly.

How does this translate to workflow? It means you have ONE workable file management solution: Take the Card out of the Aircraft when done flying and directly copy the media via a card reader to your PC.
I went out and flew 3 batteries, and recorded perhaps 25-30 minutes of video and took 15-20 photos. When back, I went into the album, did a batch select, and hit download. NG. "Insufficient space to download" - on a brand new RC Pro, with NO media other than cached from the 3 flights. My only workaround was to copy 4-5 video clips, go to file manager, move them to the SD Card, or copy, then delete them from Internal storage. Rinse and repeat.

Then of course DJI Fly cannot use them or edit them (a cheesy way to use the high quality video, granted but it IS DJI's editor.) - in fact you can't even review or find them in DJI Fly. The App that DJI insists is appropriate for the Mavic 3.

I get it that features and autonomous flight modes are being finalized. I'm not happy about it, but I get it. But file management and handling is not working??? AGAIN with ZERO upfront disclaimer,, explanation or commitment. Just "The new RC Pro that is so good you will sell a child or 2 to own"

Knowing it ONLY supports Mavic 3, and HATING the RC-N1 they included in the box of a Prosumer drone, I stupidly SOLD Mt Smart Controller, thinking, well it's pn to the future now, no looking back. There's no looking back, or up or down...

Ugh this keeps getting worse instead of better. I was SO looking forward to this controller, and I like a lot of it. Except the part where you can't use it.

Not workable.
Have you logged these concerns in the DJI Forums?

Have you looked at this potential solution? Transferring files to SD card in RC Pro

Last edited:
Wonder why DJI circuit design always ends up with the card upside down? Is it a statement?
Seems like a DJI thing. I cannot think of any other devices I own that have memory cards in this upside down configuration.

I am able to easily copy/move any files in internal memory of the RC Pro to the SD card using the file manager. I do this most for the flight records. I take the pictures/movies directly from the drone's SSD or SD card. Very happy with the Mavic 3 Cine and its wonderful camera.
Oh absolutely. This is functional. I just find it bizarre that the Album in DJI FLY cannot see anything on that card. It was 100% functional on the Smart Controller. Since I sold it to buy the RC Pro, I can't do side-by-side comparisons but when you were in DJI Fly Camera Menu, under the "Storage" section (right under where you pick the SD Card or 8 Gb internal memory for the aircraft, you could check "Auto sync HD Photos" - to save to SD Card, and the Cached video and photos also saved to the card. They recently added "sync to phone album" -at least on Android versions, and THAT also saved to the card. Right now, everything saves to internal memory, which is basically always full, just like the fun old days on phones without much memory. My Samsung phones have 512 GB plus another 512 on a microSD. Easy enough to move stuff over now and then. But with 14 Gb available memory on the RC Pro before you save 1 file, it will be a constant moving of files to keep space available. It needs one of two fixes: 1: Allow adoptable memory (doubtful they will provide this) or allow DJI Fly to see the mounted drive.

Just a quick peek after updating, most annoying things appear to be updated! The exp settings and saving the control adjustments. Have to check the sd card thing though.

Not workable.
@BlairAir

I quoted your post for reference.

Interested in your perspective. I also can’t understand why you would want the content to end up on the SC? Not really a good editing platform, neither is my IPhone for that matter. Does it let you field preview a shot to see if it’s the one you want? Other reasons?

I have a M3 standard with the RC-N1 controller using a IPhone 13 for the Fly app.

I have not bothered with the Fly app “album”, cache etc and simply remove the SD card and copy the contents to my PC. I don’t tend to share content as I’m not a very good photographer so this works for me.

I was curious about all of this after reading your post so did a trial on my setup. It seems that I can turn these features on and use them within the limits of the IPhone storage.

I did notice that cache option is limited to frame rates less than 30.

The first three screen grabs below are selecting a JPEG in album and saving it to IPhone Photos.

The last one is a 1080 24fps vid that was cached.

8B957C2F-17FA-4A4D-ADC5-5E564CD94326.jpeg

63615BAD-F9F3-4D78-997D-DFB950D57CF5.jpeg

037B5C7E-1218-4DE7-B9A5-29C6EB22B73A.jpeg

0302769C-28F8-4C4A-84C3-F6F40934D27F.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry from ok