DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Burst Mode

noosaguy

Reactions
I watched a video the other day
boasting a great way to shoot much larger and cleaner images.
I'm familiar with this technique and have used it many times on my Canon DSLR's but thought I might try with the M2P.
The video advises to shoot in 'burst mode' (multiple images) using 7 exposures. He was using the Mavic Pro.
So off I go to shoot 7 images on my M2P and find I can only do 3 or 5? Hmmm!
To use that technique the more images shot in sequence the better so I was VERY surprised that 5 was the maximum on the M2P.
Have I missed something here or would it need a firmware upgrade to fix it?
Cheers.

Updating firmware won't "fix" it.
The Mavic 2 pro can't shoot more than 5 shots in burst mode.
I assumed I hadn't missed anything and 5 was max but surely it could easily be fixed with an update?
In fact I'd like to be able to shoot 10 or 12. (7 would be better than 5 though)

I assumed I hadn't missed anything and 5 was max but surely it could easily be fixed with an update?
In fact I'd like to be able to shoot 10 or 12. (7 would be better than 5 though)
Perhaps there's a physical limitation with how much data the memory can handle at a time?

Reactions: noosaguy
Combining multiple shots into a single image only works if there is nearly perfect image registration across multiple exposures. With a DSLR & tripod this isn't so hard to do. Doiing the same thing using a hovering drone is a bit more of a challenge. The video maker(Post #1) was using a 12MP camera. The M2P is a 20 MP camera. Youj don't need as many exposures on the later compared to the former, to get a very high resolution image, that is well registered.

The M2 Zoom will do 3/5/7. That might be what the video person was using. Search for "Still Photography Modes" in your owners manual (which is the same manual for both Pro and Zoom, so you can compare).

It has everything to do with memory. Canon and Nikon has gotten flak from users from having too-small a buffer on cameras that had high-speed continuous shooting shooting (with no burst limits). My current newer Nikon DSLR will shoot up to 50 before the buffer fills (depending on factors) and it's not even a 'sport' genre camera. My older one will do only 12.

So DJI should stop being cheap and add more memory to their buffer, then remove or increase burst limit.

Chris

Last edited:
I have used this technique with the both the MP and the M2P. You can shoot 5, then shoot another 5 exposures as soon as the first 5 are written to the SD card. If you are not in a strong wind and fairly stable you can repeat this multiple times if you want. When using the MP I took four series of 7 for a total of 28 shots and it worked fine. I believe one of the original videos on Youtube regarding MegaPixels the op used 21 exposures. Keep in mind the more you use the larger the final photo.

That's because of the design of the gimbal. It can't roll 90 degrees (really needs more for stabilization) to rotate to portrait.

However, he could shoot them with enough border, stack them for higher resolution, then rotate and crop for a potrait look in post.

Combining multiple shots into a single image only works if there is nearly perfect image registration across multiple exposures. With a DSLR & tripod this isn't so hard to do. Doiing the same thing using a hovering drone is a bit more of a challenge. The video maker(Post #1) was using a 12MP camera. The M2P is a 20 MP camera. Youj don't need as many exposures on the later compared to the former, to get a very high resolution image, that is well registered.
I hear what you're saying but when the M2P locks the gimbal to shoot a burst, it is extremely stable. With my limited testing of burst mode, I've had no trouble at all aligning in LR or PS.

I have used this technique with the both the MP and the M2P. You can shoot 5, then shoot another 5 exposures as soon as the first 5 are written to the SD card. If you are not in a strong wind and fairly stable you can repeat this multiple times if you want. When using the MP I took four series of 7 for a total of 28 shots and it worked fine. I believe one of the original videos on Youtube regarding MegaPixels the op used 21 exposures. Keep in mind the more you use the larger the final photo.
That's where 'grunt' comes in to play ;)

I hear what you're saying but when the M2P locks the gimbal to shoot a burst, it is extremely stable. With my limited testing of burst mode, I've had no trouble at all aligning in LR or PS.
Neither have I, just giving him more options to play with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
susnzhe