DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy it or Let it Go?

Duende01

Reactions
Greetings, just wanted to seek some opinions and suggestions on a possible purchase of a Magic Air Fly More combo drone. Have the opportunity to pick one up for about $737.00 in brand new condition. I had put a deposit on it about a month ago and had already taken the thing out of my mind. Today I go to get my deposit back and the sales person tells me that the drone was still at the store waiting for me to pick it and I can still get it for the sales price. I have never owned or flown a drone before, and was looking to get one to capture some pictures and videos during a summer trip that I have planned for the Caribbean. I have read plenty and viewed many review videos on youtube during my research. I guess that my hesitation is centered in not knowing if I would get much use out of the drone and whether the rules for flying will be subject to get more restrictive. I hate to spend this kind of money for something that eventually I won't be able to enjoy because of possible implementation of new laws and flying rules. What would you do? Buy it or Let it Go? Thanks in advance for your replies and input.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I know that I couldn't be happier with my purchase, making up reasons to fly whenever possible.

That's not a bad price, but does it come with a warranty or DJI Care Refresh? Is it "like new" or "new"?
I'm sure others will have good questions too, but that's all I got for now.

Reactions: Duende01
i know it is a good price ,but do not buy it just for that reason alone,get something cheaper with GPS there are loads and loads out there and see if the hobby really is for you then if you are hooked and want to progress go for the best UAV you can afford there are deals going on all the time and the new rules are going to affect all flyers so yes you will need to consider that but dont let that put you off

Sounds like a pass to me. You lost interest before you got it plus it sounds like it may be out of your budget. You can always revisit the idea in the future, price on the Mavic Air has peaked and will continue to be available at great prices.

Caribbean leisure pleasure?

seems financially prudent.

mavic air spans both realms: work & play

fortunately pricing enables separating toy novelty versus prized cinematography enthusiasts

I know that I couldn't be happier with my purchase, making up reasons to fly whenever possible.

That's not a bad price, but does it come with a warranty or DJI Care Refresh? Is it "like new" or "new"?
I'm sure others will have good questions too, but that's all I got for now.

Thanks for your input... It's a brand new unit from a large consumer electronics retailer in Europe, so it does have a warranty. It was on sale, but because I did not know much about drones or the brand, I decided not to make the purchase at the time and rather placed a small deposit to hold it as it was the last one on the shelf. Like most things that I purchase, I wanted to do additional research and convince myself that this is something that I really wanted. During this research is when I learned about the actual requirements for flying (FAA registration and other restrictions) and how the rules seem to be getting stricter. Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine that the store was still willing to offer the same deal close to a month later, although the drones are no longer on sale. They are closed tomorrow, so I guess I will make my determination whether to pull the trigger or not. Thanks again.

i know it is a good price ,but do not buy it just for that reason alone,get something cheaper with GPS there are loads and loads out there and see if the hobby really is for you then if you are hooked and want to progress go for the best UAV you can afford there are deals going on all the time and the new rules are going to affect all flyers so yes you will need to consider that but dont let that put you off

Thanks for your input... Affordability is not an issue, but that is what I thought, get something a bit cheaper that I can also let my 10 year old son enjoy and bang around. Although he will be happy with just watching me fly any type of drone. In a sense, he is the one that stuck that idea in my head and I am not one to go for the cheapest anything, lol. I used to be into electric RC cars and spent a small fortune getting all the latest and the greatest. Today all that stuff sits in a box somewhere in my basement collecting dust. So, I just want to ensure that I will get to use it and find enjoyment from it. Thanks again!

Reactions: old man mavic
Sounds like a pass to me. You lost interest before you got it plus it sounds like it may be out of your budget. You can always revisit the idea in the future, price on the Mavic Air has peaked and will continue to be available at great prices.

While I like to pay the least for anything that I buy and always seek great deals, budget is definitely not an issue. I think that I was put off when I learned about all the requirements and rules to be followed when flying these "critters" and how they have the potential to become even more restrictive.

Caribbean leisure pleasure?

seems financially prudent.

mavic air spans both realms: work & play

fortunately pricing enables separating toy novelty versus prized cinematography enthusiasts

Pleasure trip to celebrate my 26th year wedding anniversary and my early retirement. That's is what I don't want to do, buy something to take a few videos and then getting bored with it and not find any use for it again.

Have you considered just hiring someone locally to shoot the videos for you? Familiar with the area and it's rules as well as the particular drone..

Pleasure trip to celebrate my 26th year wedding anniversary and my early retirement. That's is what I don't want to do, buy something to take a few videos and then getting bored with it and not find any use for it again.
Well congrats on both accounts 26 years and retirement. When I got my first I always wanted to fly but not sure if I would the drone. Well several later and still love it.

you have astonishing clairvoyance wisdom shaping your forecasted destiny. it's rewarding celebrating years of marriage although i misconstrue boredom anticipation unrewarded by mavic air. i am not a cinematography enthusiast starting mavic air nov2018, but it has changed me questing that priceless shot once knowing its accessibility that can not be otherwise accomplished

Reactions: Bobvt
When I started this hobby I purchased toy drones and by the time I started to get
comfortable I had purchased three drones, motors burned out, crashed one, and the
last one flew away into a lake. I spent almost $300 US on these drones and was frustrated and almost gave up. Took one more chance and
purchased a DJI Spark and feel in love everything worked great and now have a Mavic Air parked right next to Sparkles. Life’s to short bite the bullet and join this inspiring hobby. If you hate it you can always sell it here.

Greetings, just wanted to seek some opinions and suggestions on a possible purchase of a Magic Air Fly More combo drone. Have the opportunity to pick one up for about $737.00 in brand new condition. I had put a deposit on it about a month ago and had already taken the thing out of my mind. Today I go to get my deposit back and the sales person tells me that the drone was still at the store waiting for me to pick it and I can still get it for the sales price. I have never owned or flown a drone before, and was looking to get one to capture some pictures and videos during a summer trip that I have planned for the Caribbean. I have read plenty and viewed many review videos on youtube during my research. I guess that my hesitation is centered in not knowing if I would get much use out of the drone and whether the rules for flying will be subject to get more restrictive. I hate to spend this kind of money for something that eventually I won't be able to enjoy because of possible implementation of new laws and flying rules. What would you do? Buy it or Let it Go? Thanks in advance for your replies and input.
Before I got into drone flying, I had concluded that there was no point to it because everything that could be photographed or a video made of had already been done.
Three drones later, I advise that you drop it as it may hook you

I think you should give it a try. You could always recover some of your money through selling it.

Consider a used MP1 over the Mavic Air as they are less expensive, now. And, they are a more capable drone.

If you don't have the time, let it go

Reactions: hewo
Thanks for your input... Affordability is not an issue, but that is what I thought, get something a bit cheaper that I can also let my 10 year old son enjoy and bang around. Although he will be happy with just watching me fly any type of drone. In a sense, he is the one that stuck that idea in my head and I am not one to go for the cheapest anything, lol. I used to be into electric RC cars and spent a small fortune getting all the latest and the greatest. Today all that stuff sits in a box somewhere in my basement collecting dust. So, I just want to ensure that I will get to use it and find enjoyment from it. Thanks again!
Always begin with a toy drone — lots out there with GPS and a 1080 HD Camera. Learn to fly while exploring the hobby. Just my two cents. Happy flying??

When I started this hobby I purchased toy drones and by the time I started to get
comfortable I had purchased three drones, motors burned out, crashed one, and the
last one flew away into a lake. I spent almost $300 US on these drones and was frustrated and almost gave up. Took one more chance and
purchased a DJI Spark and feel in love everything worked great and now have a Mavic Air parked right next to Sparkles. Life’s to short bite the bullet and join this inspiring hobby. If you hate it you can always sell it here.

Thanks for your input... I have heard this many times before and never really understood the concept. I have never been the type that wants to spend in increments or grow into things. I find that by the time you grow into what you should have bought from the beginning, you would have spent more in the end and even lost some money in the process.

When I bought my first motorcycle in 2009 everyone kept saying that I should start with a used 250 or even a 500cc bike to bang around and move up from there. I always thought, why not get what I want and like from the beginning and become comfortable with it with every outing? I went out and got me a brand new 1800cc bike and haven't looked back once. I think the the money I saved from growing into it was used for some customization.

Perhaps the moral of my story is that I like to start with the one that is going to give me the most pleasure "out of the gate" or that I am going to enjoy the most. In this instance, I just want to ensure that I am not paying into something that, I don't ever get to use, or in the end, buy something that I would not be able to use or enjoy using due to any near future changes to the regulations.
f1a4dd7a109ba8a2ce0a8d1db62cba02.jpg

Have you considered just hiring someone locally to shoot the videos for you? Familiar with the area and it's rules as well as the particular drone..

If it was a single event, I would have definitely considered this option. However, we are just going to enjoy ourselves and the kids visiting around different islands and doing so will require that I take this individual with me everywhere I go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc