DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buzzing sound from gimbal

MorganKane

Reactions
Hi!
just bought a used Air 2s, it has a low buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the gimbal motors. Is this normal?
Only had one flight with it, but didn't notice anything unusual. There are no error messages and the firmware is updated to latest.

Not sure if this is something that needs to be fixed or not, so appreciate any comments on this :)

To be honest, the only thing I can hear in the clip is the sound of the internal fan. Seeing as it's second hand, you don't know how or where it's been used. Try physically moving the camera and gimbal by hand (GENTLY and with the drone powered off). Listen and feel for any 'gritty' areas in the arcs of free movement. There might be sand, grit or dirt particles stuck in one or more of the axis joints. Get a can of keyboard cleaner (compressed air) and try blowing out the gimbal joints... but be very gentle. There are end stops in all the gimbal joints and they are plastic - very easily damaged.

Sure the sound comes from the gimbal... the fan in it self can also be the source (say this as I have a charger with a fan that behaves & sounds like that, kind of a vibrating sound).

It's probably difficult to hear in the video, as the sound is not very loud.
But it appears every time the gimbal have to make adjustments. As if the motors go *bzzz* every time they are running.
My other drones have totally silent gimbal movement (Mavic 3 and Mini 3 Pro).

I will try compressed air as suggested. But I don't feel any unusual resistance when moving the gimbal around.

Last edited:
My mini pro 3 has a high pitched buzz, DJI say it's not a problem and never had any issues in over a year of flying it. Had the same thing with mini 2 and never had any issues with that either.

Good to hear that it does not necessarily mean that there is a problem. It seems to be flying as normal.

I crashed an Inspire 2 once. It tried to eat a tree on an automated flight. Pilot stupidity.
It was destroyed except for the X4s camera. We used the camera on another I2 and it buzzed but worked. Never buzzed before the crash. Had it serviced and was told the armature on one of the gimbal motors was bent. Motor replaced; no more buzz.

Reactions: MorganKane