DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BVLOS

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160650

Hello! Fairly new to the forum. Iā€™m from Washington, Pa. If anyone lives in Washington let me know if any good flying spots šŸ˜ƒ. One thing that we need to let drone pilots know is bvlos flying because not only is it a big risk but it is against the law. I used to just shrug off vlos rules until I flew one day during snow which normally wouldnā€™t be a problem. I was flying over to a lake about a mile away from my takeoff point. On the way back there was weird gimbal movement. Then I could see the drone descending on the screen and violently shaking. I decided to put it down in a parking lot and I later found out that there was ice buildup on one of the props which caused it to vibrate and fly off. I luckily retrieved the drone and never flew beyond vlos again. Fast forward two years later I have not had many major incident since. We need to let new drone pilots that flying beyond visual line of sight could end up harming people or property on the ground. I think that most new pilots just shrug off the rules until something happens.
I want more people to be in the hobby but it the same time know the risks to flying bvlos and what could happen if something went awry. Fly Safe!

My takeaway from this experience is not about VLOS but about weather and not flying when it's snowing or when the temperature and humidity are conducive to ice buildup on any part of the aircraft. Icing can be disastrous in-person piloted aircraft and remote-piloted aircraft.

My takeaway from this experience is not about VLOS but about weather and not flying when it's snowing or when the temperature and humidity are conducive to ice buildup on any part of the aircraft. Icing can be disastrous in-person piloted aircraft and remote-piloted aircraft.
I agree. Looking back on it I definitely should not have been flying. The only reason why the drone was still in one piece is because I stayed calm, picked a landing spot, and put it down. Thanks for responding! :D

+1. Taking acount of flying conditons are absolutely partly of the responsbilities of a pilot, and that includes the effects they might have on the pilot as well as on the aircraft. It doesn't mean you shouldn't fly, let alone can't fly, but that you always need to be mindful of the conditions and adjust your flying profile accordiningly. A short test flight or two (e.g. some low altitude donuts and/or a vertical climb and descent) to get a better feel for the conditions and their effects first can often be a good idea if you're not sure.

When I took it the first time, there was actually a question on the CAA's competency test that tackled exactly this point - and prompted several discussions here because people didn't entirely understand what it was getting at. IIRC, it was about flying in cold but clear conditions, and the correct answer required an understanding of how this might impair the pilot's ability, rather than how it would impact the aircraft or the absolute rules like distances, etc.

Good call. Also a frequent issue with fixed wing and helicopter pilots when flight into icing conditions occurs.

When I took it the first time, there was actually a question on the CAA's competency test that tackled exactly this point - and prompted several discussions here because people didn't entirely understand what it was getting at. IIRC, it was about flying in cold but clear conditions, and the correct answer required an understanding of how this might impair the pilot's ability, rather than how it would impact the aircraft or the absolute rules like distances, etc.
Aeronautical Decision Making. A good thing to Google and read up on for anyone that flies any aircraft. Then put it into practice.

Aeronautical Decision Making. A good thing to Google and read up on for anyone that flies any aircraft. Then put it into practice.
Solid suggestion not to be that person who generates a new rule/ regulation intended to stop bad judgement.

You took the Words right out of my mouth

Hello! Fairly new to the forum. Iā€™m from Washington, Pa. If anyone lives in Washington let me know if any good flying spots šŸ˜ƒ. One thing that we need to let drone pilots know is bvlos flying because not only is it a big risk but it is against the law. I used to just shrug off vlos rules until I flew one day during snow which normally wouldnā€™t be a problem. I was flying over to a lake about a mile away from my takeoff point. On the way back there was weird gimbal movement. Then I could see the drone descending on the screen and violently shaking. I decided to put it down in a parking lot and I later found out that there was ice buildup on one of the props which caused it to vibrate and fly off. I luckily retrieved the drone and never flew beyond vlos again. Fast forward two years later I have not had many major incident since. We need to let new drone pilots that flying beyond visual line of sight could end up harming people or property on the ground. I think that most new pilots just shrug off the rules until something happens.
I want more people to be in the hobby but it the same time know the risks to flying bvlos and what could happen if something went awry. Fly Safe!
Everyone picks their own poison...

I'd never consider flying in the snow at all, never mind a mile away. I got iced up several times during my fixed wing flying, and I'd be surprised if the whizzing props on the Mini-2 didn't ice up.

I generally fly VLOS, but not AVLOS...

;-)

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll