DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bypass ground sensors on Mavic Mini

pauljmuk

Reactions
Hi folks - considering a Mini purchase at the moment. Been watching a tonne of videos and examples of shots on YouTube and am impressed. One thing confusing me..

I see videos showing how the ground detection sensors work - flyers using their hands under the drone, and the drone rising up kind of thing. Same flyers also point out that the sensors cannot be disabled.

However... I've also seen some really creative video shots where flyers have recorded video of the mini flying through climbing frames / open window / over balcony rails.

So there's my question - how are they filming that without the mini suddenly leaping up in the air?

TIA

Hi folks - considering a Mini purchase at the moment. Been watching a tonne of videos and examples of shots on YouTube and am impressed. One thing confusing me..

I see videos showing how the ground detection sensors work - flyers using their hands under the drone, and the drone rising up kind of thing. Same flyers also point out that the sensors cannot be disabled.

However... I've also seen some really creative video shots where flyers have recorded video of the mini flying through climbing frames / open window / over balcony rails.

So there's my question - how are they filming that without the mini suddenly leaping up in the air?

TIA
by covering the bottom sensors with some tape

yes that's correct because the sensors are covered it will not know exactly how high it is from the ground so care is needed when landing or you can hand catch it

Reactions: Dbez1 and Dedal
yes that's correct because the sensors are covered it will not know exactly how high it is from the ground so care is needed when landing or you can hand catch it
Interesting, didn't know about the trick about covering the sensors... Although, not so much the problem for catching the drone (or letting it land on your palm), just position it, put your hand underneath, it will climb initially, then just keep left stick down and it will land itself, no problems there.

Although, not so much the problem for catching the drone (or letting it land on your palm), just position it, put your hand underneath, it will climb initially, then just keep left stick down and it will land itself, no problems there.
Too dangerous as the MM could fall from your hand after touch down. I prefer having it in a stable hoover position just above and slightly in front of my head, facing to me. Then I have all time without a hurry to position my hand from the front side, grab it behind the front legs without the sensors seeing me and then either turn the MM on its back or pull the throttle stick fully donw for a while to stop the motors.

Paul, although I haven’t done it yet, I’ve heard it’s also a good idea to tape the sensors when flying low over water. I’m sure someone with more experience will weigh in on this ?.

Paul, although I haven’t done it yet, I’ve heard it’s also a good idea to tape the sensors when flying low over water. I’m sure someone with more experience will weigh in on this ?.
That is correct. The minis have difficulty discerning water and have a tendency to descend uncommanded. Either block the sensors or just stay well above the water. I would recommend 20 feet or more. That is from personal experience and also from others here that I trust.

Reactions: Dbez1
Too dangerous as the MM could fall from your hand after touch down. I prefer having it in a stable hoover position just above and slightly in front of my head, facing to me. Then I have all time without a hurry to position my hand from the front side, grab it behind the front legs without the sensors seeing me and then either turn the MM on its back or pull the throttle stick fully donw for a while to stop the motors.
I either saw (uTube) or read that flipping it to stop is eventually hard on the motors. I don’t know if this information is accurate however.

I either saw (uTube) or read that flipping it to stop is eventually hard on the motors. I don’t know if this information is accurate however.
I do it systematically... Indeed the motors will try to compensate, but this is exactly what they are supposed to do for instance when braking in S mode... IMHO nothing to worry here !

Reactions: pauljmuk
I found that when I covered the sensors with tape to fly through a window, as a new pilot I found the the mini was hard to hold in position. It kept descending a little. I can't recall where I read it or in what video, but I seem to remember someone suggesting only covering one of the sensors. I'd be curious if anyone has tried that or if it makes a difference.

I was hoping I wasn't asked that! I have watched SO many videos in advance of the purchase, I simply can't remember - there were a couple of different review videos that had shots taken like that half way through - showing the drone flying out of the back of a house into a covered yard kind of thing. One with a flight through some childrens climbing equipment in a park

... One with a flight through some childrens climbing equipment in a park .....

That guy must be crazy. With the infrared altitude sensor diabled, the drone will drift up and down with no throttle input. That can result in hurting the children badly.

With the sensors enabled, the drone will keep a distance of just 50 cm from objects beneath it. That should be close enough for most purposes.

There were no kids in the park in the video! Panic not!

But i am also now wondering if, with the distance only being 50cm, whether it's more a trck of the camera angle. You can tell the drone is going over a rail or ledge, but you can't judge how big the distance is - maybe the sensors were on, and it just looked closer than it was.

I found that when I covered the sensors with tape to fly through a window, as a new pilot I found the the mini was hard to hold in position. It kept descending a little. I can't recall where I read it or in what video, but I seem to remember someone suggesting only covering one of the sensors. I'd be curious if anyone has tried that or if it makes a difference.
I did try to cover only the IR sensor. The result is the same as with the IR + the camera sensors both covered...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dipshot