DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

C1 label for Mini 4 pro ?

Robin

Reactions
Why do people apply for the C1 label for the mini 4 pro ?

Does it effect the height or distance one can fly ?

I find the all the rules very confusing.

C0 doesn't need a license, but limits you to 250g and 120m height over the takeoff point
C1 needs a license but you can then go up to 900g (which means you can use the larger battery and/or prop guards) and 120m over the ground under the aircraft.

If you have a license no point staying with the limitations.

Ok, interesting.

If the drone is unclassified already (pre 1st jan 2024) does that make a difference ?

If you have your drone unclassified there is no need or benefit from classifying it as C1, except if you plan using the extended battery. As soon as your unclassified drone exceeds the 249g limit it may only be flown in A3 airspace.
And be aware, if you ever have to send it to the DJI service and are getting a replacement drone, this will be C0 again, without possibility for unclassifying, only the option to reclassify it as C1.

If you have your drone unclassified there is no need or benefit from classifying it as C1, except if you plan using the extended battery. As soon as your unclassified drone exceeds the 249g limit it may only be flown in A3 airspace.
And be aware, if you ever have to send it to the DJI service and are getting a replacement drone, this will be C0 again, without possibility for unclassifying, only the option to reclassify it as C1.
ok, yes i understand that but can a C0 become a C1 ?

C0 doesn't need a license, but limits you to 250g and 120m height over the takeoff point
C1 needs a license but you can then go up to 900g (which means you can use the larger battery and/or prop guards) and 120m over the ground under the aircraft.

Hang on though - if the above is true, then, under Class 0 you could legally climb to the top of a hill, launch 120 m from there, and then fly away from the hill, and that would be fine, whereas the class above would have to drop as they left the hill ? That doesn't sound right does it ?! And yet it might be. I know we don't use the class system (yet) over here in the UK but I was surprised to find I had the option of surpassing the 120m limit, and when I asked was informed that was the reason - so I could fly from the bottom of a hill up 120m, then fly to the top of the hill from current location and get another 120m from there !

Hang on though - if the above is true, then, under Class 0 you could legally climb to the top of a hill, launch 120 m from there, and then fly away from the hill, and that would be fine, whereas the class above would have to drop as they left the hill ?
No. The drone will let you do it since there's no practical technical way to prevent it, but it's not legal.

You're not allowed more than 120m above ground whether C0 or C1 by default. The difference is that in C1 you can apply for an exemption with your aviation authority and/or get permission from a building owner to fly above it and thus potentially unlock it, while no such facility exists in C0.

DJI implements this by locking the max height setting to 120m in C0 (restricting you from 120m from takeoff), and switching to C1 then lets you set it higher.

Reactions: AeroJ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan