DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA 500m rule

If you read johnchaps previous posts he basically does everything you shouldn't.

Doesn't want to register via DMARES

Doesnt want to operate within VLOS

Thinks it's safer to fly at night than in day time

Ignores advice re wind for operating.

All of this but then tells others ahhh it's fibe just do it. Then writes to the CAA and others requesting changes to rules. Of anything the rules are getting tighter because of users like johnchaps

I think it is still applicable. The CAA states in Cap 722
that the drone pilot must stay within VLOS so that he/she
is able to maintain direct visual contact with the UA which
is sufficient to monitor its flightpath in relation to other aircraft, persons, vessels, vehicles or structures for the purpose of avoiding collision. Within the UK VLOS is normally accepted out to a maximum distance of 500m
horizontally and 400ft vertically from the remote pilot.
Operating at a greater distance of 500m, extended visual line of sight (EVLOS) would need approval from the CAA.

I brought this up with my A2CoC course.

722 now states:
Operating within Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) means that the remote pilot must be able to clearly see the unmanned aircraft and the surrounding airspace at all times while it is airborne. The key requirement of any flight is to avoid collisions and a VLOS operation ensures that the remote pilot is able to monitor the aircraft’s flight path and so manoeuvre it clear of anything that it might collide with. While corrective lenses may be used, the use of binoculars, telescopes, or any other forms of image enhancing devices are not permitted. Putting things in very simple terms, when operating VLOS, the aircraft must not be flown out of sight of the remote pilot’s eyes. The CAA will normally accept that the VLOS requirement is met when the UA is flown out to a distance of 500 metres horizontally from the remote pilot, but only if the aircraft can still be seen at this distance. The ‘operating height’ is limited to a maximum distance of 400 feet (120 metres) from the closest point of the earth’s surface (see para 2.1.1.1 below). Operations at a greater distance from the remote pilot may be permitted if an acceptable safety case is submitted. For example, if the aircraft is large it may be justifiable that its flight path can be monitored visually at a greater distance than 500 metres. Conversely, for some small aircraft, operations out to a distance of 500 metres may mean it is not possible to assure or maintain adequate visual contact, and so the aircraft must obviously be kept closer to the remote pilot.

Its somewhat murky. The actual legislation and wording of CAP appear to contradict. Legislation vs guidance (just like the lockdown farce). You need to "submit a case" but its not specifically EVLOS.

Something like an inspire at 500m is easily visible and meets collision avoidance criteria but a Mini at the same distance most certainly is not!

The original poster is correct though, most people just outright ignore this distance (and visual line of sight). And thats the problem.

Oh and anyone thinking they have any situational awareness staring at a picture on a tiny screen is utterly utterly deluded.
There's a reason one of the first things you're taught actually flying is a constant look out before, during and after every single move AND when in level flight.

Final point:- Anyone flying in the Mach Loop on a week day (it is legal..!) really should be giving the MoD low fly phone service a quick call first and maybe also Valley just to make sure its clean. Its a little quieter since the RAF got banned from using it after busting clearance !

Last edited:
If you read johnchaps previous posts he basically does everything you shouldn't.

Doesn't want to register via DMARES

Doesnt want to operate within VLOS

Thinks it's safer to fly at night than in day time

Ignores advice re wind for operating.

All of this but then tells others ahhh it's fibe just do it. Then writes to the CAA and others requesting changes to rules. Of anything the rules are getting tighter because of users like johnchaps
I don’t think he’s in the UK either? So this doesn’t even apply to him.

The list isnt always that accurate (Mach Loop wont have Hawks or USAF etc).

The low level advisory number (Telephone: 0800 515544) is the useful one here.

Its not infallible but it can be used to determine for sure things are planned.
Always worth checking NOTAMs too.

One point, the 400ft AGL ceiling is, as far as I am aware, nothing to do with VLOS.
I believe it relates to keeping the drone below the minimum height floor for manned aircraft which might be 500ft AGL
I agree Phillius.
The 400 ft rule is the same in Ontario, Canada. It is one of the questions in the Pilot test we have to pass to get a fly license here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost