DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cache full issue

TheNomad

Reactions
Hi guys. I have an issue. I got a warning "cache full" today, (or something like that)...

My phone had at least 30GB of free space. In the meantime I searched a bit online and found the way to delete the cache from the DJI app settings which I did.

Then I discovered that all the videos and pictures I shoot from my drone are lost from my phone (Samsung Galaxy s9) but the memory is still the same, still 30GB free. I researched a bit more and saw that the files should have beeen saved in my sd card in my drone BUT I do not have a memory card mounted on the drone. All files are saved in my phone.

In my phone folder I can see the thumbnail of those pics and videos but when I press them nothing opens.

So what is the situation now?
1. Did I loose these files?
2. If yes could I retrieve them? I have not used camera or the drone or any other app yet in my phone.
3. If no where can I find them?

Hope I described the issue as detailed as possible. Any help is welcome!

First off, which drone are you using? The Mavic Air, the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom have internal memory on the drone. Just hook up your USB cable to the drone and plug it into your computer. The drone must be powered on to transfer them. Fly safe!

Not with my drone right now so what I'll write next might be a little bit wrong. The cache you are talking about refers to the video cache for the previews of what you are filming and are stored in the phone, the cache is limited to 2GB (i think?) And the amount can be modified within the app, if that gets full then it will stop storing stuff in your phone.

These previews are low quality videos, and the original high quality videos are stored in the sd card, now why would anyone be filming without an sd card and relying completely on the previews is beyond me and I'm unable to comprehend such decision.

Reactions: Shon
To answer your last question: because I just do it for fun and I didnt know is better to use an sd card. Additionally the videos that are stored directly to my phone folder (and that I can not view now after I delete the cache from the mavic air app) look pretty good when transferred to the laptop.

To answer your first question: I think yes, when I opened the dji app I went to settings and deleted the videos and pictures cache.

You mentioned that the original hq videos are stored in the sd card (which I dont have mounted on my air). The internal memory is not storing the files with the same quality?

To answer your last question: because I just do it for fun and I didnt know is better to use an sd card. Additionally the videos that are stored directly to my phone folder (and that I can not view now after I delete the cache from the mavic air app) look pretty good when transferred to the laptop.

To answer your first question: I think yes, when I opened the dji app I went to settings and deleted the videos and pictures cache.

You mentioned that the original hq videos are stored in the sd card (which I dont have mounted on my air). The internal memory is not storing the files with the same quality?

The Air has 8 gigs of internal memory. I think the internal memory is default. If you want to save on the SD card, you have to specify that. Check the internal memory on your drone...you may still have higher quality stuff saved there.

If you think the cache videos look "pretty good" Wait until you see the actual footage! The "8 gig" internal memory is not same thing as your phone cache. It is indeed of superior image quality. The thing is...8gigs is not that much memory...it is more like...an emergency backup if your SD card runs full or you forget your SD card at home... It won't take you very far. 32gig, 64gig SD cards are common.

The phone cache is back up footage...in case you lose your drone. It might help you pinpoint which tree your drone got stuck in...or help you figure out why it suddenly fell out of the sky ("Look at that....a bird strike!")

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569